Why become a member? ×

EDB wanna be double bass. What strings?

sunfish

I'm yet another fairly decent electric bass player struggling with a Stagg EDB and looking to buy a double bass. My arms ache. My back aches and the Stagg wants to twist round as I play. But I want to master it before I shell out for a DB. I was wondering should I buy some looser strings for the Stagg that might allow me to play for more than ten minutes. Any advice on which strings. Or am I never going to do it until I go for a real DB? I've joined a jazz outfit so need to progress this. any advice would be great.

What sort of strings are on there? Lower tension strings would help hand fatigue a bit, but the thing might still move around. Have you had any lessons from a good DB teacher/player? That may also help with how you position the bass when playing.

I think there is a niche market for a Stagg stabiliser :)

Have you actually tried playing a real DB?

No matter how hard any maker tries with an EUB or similar, they can never capture the sheer physicality of a DB.

Bloody hard work, but intensely satisfying. If your back aches you may want to modify your stance. If your shoulders and upper arms ache then best get used to it, though it will get better with time and experience.

But you can say goodbye to the bass twisting as you play it. One big advantage of such a large instrument is that you lock into it intimately, and you and the bass stabilise each other. I actually find DB easier to play than my KK Baby Bass for this reason.

Thanks guys. I have looked at a few youtube vids of how to stand but maybe I need to find a teacher. I'm reluctant to buy a double bass before I have mastered the EDB. All I see is that a budget DB instantly requires new pick-up, pre-amp, new sound post (why?) new adjustable bridge.....so I want to be sure I can handle it without permenant back damage (and bank account damage).
The strings on the Stagg are what it came with they have red windings? I was wondering if it was worth buying some more bendy ones.

Maybe its just down to putting in the hours. I'm so used to being a fast bass player, Iit takes real stamina to keep up the tempo on my Stagg!

Heya,

red windings on both ends of the string ... might be Thomastic Spirocores.

[quote name='sunfish' timestamp='1414417333' post='2589047']
I'm so used to being a fast bass player, Iit takes real stamina to keep up the tempo on my Stagg!
[/quote]

I know that feeling :lol:. Then ... I started seeing this not as an obstacle but as a new chance. Switching over from a versatile, extremely eloquent way of playing (well, sometimes) to an instrument that just does not allow staying in my comfort zone made me start to think about each note I play.
The lush "dunno the chord exactly, play some fast 16th chromatic line" does not work anymore - due to the sheer mass of the DB strings and the extremely large scale. So,I started thinking about which note to play in more detail, started to modulate thoroughly each single note ... and so forth.

I guess it's a good idea getting a teacher ... just to make sure to avoid injuries.

Sounds like you may have the eub to low down if you get back ache. The top nut should be about level with your eyes. If you're not sure, get someone to check out posture / height etc.

I agree that an eub is easier (less physically demanding) to play than a db. Nothing will prepare you for playing a db, other than proper lessons on a db.