Why become a member? ×

Calling all Genz Benz owners!

Funky Dunky

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1414494752' post='2589756']
Tragedy? Bloody criminal more like. Just like they did with SWR. Both moves ensured that I will never buy a single new Fender product again.
[/quote]

Too right. I don't think I will ever buy a new Fender product again either. Maybe we should start a relaunch Genz Benz campaign!

Wonder if Jeff Genzler is ever likely to produce a new range of amps under another guise, but after nearly 30 years of amp production and building such a superb range of products, he's probably had enough? I expect there were restrictions written into the sale of Genz Benz too?

I wouldn't mind betting that Fender slapped some fairly onerous handcuffs on Jeff G to prevent him from going straight into competition with them.
I agree with the others above -- if FMIC had adopted/rebadged the Benz designs, it would have revolutionised their amplification range overnight and made them a market leader for little/no extra work or outlay. Did it not occur to them that they were buying 30 years of continual R&D and fine-tuning? Jeez. Fender make the Keystone Kops look organised. :angry:

That Genz was shutdown is the reason that FMIC is in trouble. The management have no idea of the business they are in. In their minds they are just selling Fender widgets and Fender is so iconic that everyone should just buy the brand, because it's Fender. I worked for IBM at a time when they couldn't respond to the competition, who were killing them with innovation and great products. They just thought the name IBM on a product should be enough when it was obvious that it wasn't.

Recently both David Nordschow and Dan Lakin have been on gardening leave and, surely could have been made offers that would have brought their proven talents to Fender, to everyone's advantage.

But Fender decided to get Bono on board instead!!!! That's all you need to know.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1414579370' post='2590834']
Did it not occur to them that they were buying [b]30 years of continual R&D and fine-tuning[/b]?
[/quote]

Maybe thats the problem....I though it was a Fender company policy to not update on designs...... :ph34r: (runs and ducks for cover........) ;) :D

Back on topic.... I have a ShuttleMax 9.2, great amp, plenty of power, lighter than a light thing thats been on a diet, well made etc. I have 2 other amps (Demeter pre/power amp & Alembic / Powersoft) that see more use than the GB at the moment. No particular reason and at some point the GB will become the main one again....and the cycle continues :)

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1414579370' post='2590834']
I wouldn't mind betting that Fender slapped some fairly onerous handcuffs on Jeff G to prevent him from going straight into competition with them.
I agree with the others above -- if FMIC had adopted/rebadged the Benz designs, it would have revolutionised their amplification range overnight and made them a market leader for little/no extra work or outlay. Did it not occur to them that they were buying 30 years of continual R&D and fine-tuning? Jeez. Fender make the Keystone Kops look organised. :angry:
[/quote]

IIRC when Leo sold up he had a 10 year non-compete clause in the deal!

No doubt there is something similar - and if Jeff has been paid enough then in 10 years time he would have been ready to retire anyway.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1414585771' post='2590944']
[size=5][color=#0000cd][b]WANTED: Rack Mount Kit for a Genz Benz Shuttle amp.[/b][/color][/size]

[size=5][color=#0000cd][b]Pretty pretty please![/b][/color][/size]
[/quote]
No chance. Go and buy one new for about a million pounds, like I had to :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1414588275' post='2590985']
I thought Jeff Genzler was actually [s]working within[/s] [i]plotting [i]t[/i]o bring down [/i]the Fender organisation [i]from within[/i].
[/quote]
Fixed to reflect wishful thinking on my part. :lol:

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1414589791' post='2591022']
:D

I have the Streamliner one, but I want a Shuttle set as well!
[/quote]

I got a rack blanking plate. Cut bolt hole ends off to length. Drill extra mounting holes in the plate for the Shuttle casing. Bend to shape. Fit, plug in and play. :D

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1414590336' post='2591026']
I got a rack blanking plate. Cut bolt hole ends off to length. Drill extra mounting holes in the plate for the Shuttle casing. Bend to shape. Fit, plug in and play. :D
[/quote]

Could I trouble you for some photos and measurements?

That would solve my problems!

I own a Neo-Pak 3.5. I bought it as a spare and on the occasions when I did use it, I found it to be a bit polite and gutless. Then it started blowing fuses, so I figured I'd cut my losses by fixing it and selling it on. Turns out it had blown all its power transistors.
What a difference when I got it back, totally different animal, big warm punchy sound, it could never have been running right when I bought it. I'd never sell it now.

I had a Streamliner 900 briefly, nice amp..great for reggae and the old valves sounds but I struggled to find a good sound i liked in my soul/funk band, that was through a Genz Neox 212T at the time.

I now have a Genz 2x10" 500W Contour combo and a 12" Genz Focus cab, totally love this set up and best of all the heads are removable from these combo's, i believe the combo heads are loosely based on the Shuttle amp.

If u guys wanna find out what Jeff n Andy r up 2, go 2 TB thread 'Future of Genz Benz' but Andy is at Mesa n Jeff is laying low, or in wait, probably coz of the FMIC gag/no compete clause I'd guess. If any of u need repairs etc, the GB boys r still advising on n servicing their brill products so how's that 4 amazing CS?? Ffffffender's bean counters n thinking heads must've all grown up near high voltage power lines n now wear their tinfoil hats 24/7. Effing ffffender!

[quote name='glefty' timestamp='1414655002' post='2591765']
If u guys wanna find out what Jeff n Andy r up 2, go 2 TB thread 'Future of Genz Benz' but Andy is at Mesa n Jeff is laying low, or in wait, probably coz of the FMIC gag/no compete clause I'd guess. If any of u need repairs etc, the GB boys r still advising on n servicing their brill products so how's that 4 amazing CS?? Ffffffender's bean counters n thinking heads must've all grown up near high voltage power lines n now wear their tinfoil hats 24/7. Effing ffffender!
[/quote]

The translate bottom in Chrome doesn't work. Can someone help?

Genz gear is great, very reliable.
For a change I'm now using the new Fender Rumble gear and like it a lot.
Hope it's strong enough to take the knocks, 6 months in and it's still going strong.
I still have all my Genz gear and won't be getting rid of it, if ever I need it or want a change. (the shuttle 6 or Th500 still comes with me as back-up)

Edited by Highfox

I recently moved on a shuttlemax12.2 as I'm favouring Glockenklang at the moment but the genz was a cracking piece of kit, I originally had it paired with 2x NX212Ts and whilst impractically enormous it was the loudest rig I've ever had by miles... then again that's not surprising as it was 1200watts into efficient cabs.

Edited by CamdenRob