Why become a member? ×

Calling all Genz Benz owners!

Funky Dunky

Just how good are these amps? I've only heard demos on youtube, but have been extremely impressed by the warmth and clarity of sound these bad boys produce.

Obviously now that they've stopped making them, they're hard to come by, so I can't see me getting the chance to road test one any time soon. What I'm looking for is reviews from GB owners who can tell me why they love their head/cab so much, and what, in their opinion, sets Genz Benz apart from other amps they've owned/played. Also, what DON'T they do well, if anything? Tell me the pros and cons.

All and any opinions welcome.

I've had the Streamliner 900 and the Shuttle 9.2

The Shuttle is a really great little amp - very transparent and you can dial in a great number of tones in a very intuitive way (ie each control does exactly what you expect it to) Very versatile, although I wasn't too fond of the overdriven tone.

The Streamliner is a very interesting little monster. It has a lot more natural heft than the Shuttle, and the OD is quite respectable. The tone controls all seem to affect eachother, so there is a lot more playing about to do to get the tone you're after, but when you do find that tone, it seems more musical and less clinical than that of the Shuttle. It won't do super-bright, but the top end is lovely and smooth.

All IMO of course. They are both really nice amps.

Edited by Roland Rock

The shuttle max 9.2 is brilliant, the foot controller is good, made of metal and has a really long lead on it,I suppose a mute switch would have been nice but other than that it's awesome, power wise it's never broke a sweat with a single 2x12T cab, any venue where you would start running out of puff would have a proper pa with fold back wedgees.

What one person finds compared to another may be bass related too,a lot of stingray users appear to like the big shuttle heads, they work together well for some reason, saying that I used a jazz bass for years with my 6.0 and was more than happy.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1414402437' post='2588850']
Just how good are these amps?[/quote]
Very, very good indeed. I [i]love[/i] my Shuttle 6.0. As always with these things, YMMV.
[quote]What I'm looking for is reviews from GB owners who can tell me why they love their head/cab so much[/quote]
Has all the power I need.
Clarity.
Uncoloured sound.
Absurdly light weight.
[quote]what, in their opinion, sets Genz Benz apart from other amps they've owned/played. [/quote]
In my case, the weight. Plus the sound is perfect for my needs -- I love the lack of colour and the fact that it just sounds like my bass only louder. The best compliment I think I can pay it is that I sold an SWR SM-900 to buy the Benz -- the SWR is an awesome amp and the sound was stunning, but I don't miss it at all.
[quote]Also, what DON'T they do well, if anything?[/quote]
Dub reggae, possibly..? I guess it is slightly lacking in heavy bottom end, but this isn't a problem for me at all.
[quote]Tell me the pros and cons.[/quote]
TBH, I can't think of a single con apart from the daft over-brightness of the blue filter LEDs. It will take a truly extraordinary amp to make me want to part with mine. In fact the only thing I can think of that I might want instead is another Shuttle, maybe a 9.2 or a Shuttlemax.

I own Genz Benz 9.2 Shuttle Max & Streamliner 900. Both quite different and I think they were some of the best bass amps ever made and a lot of bang for the buck. Really light, plenty of power and headroom, loads of tone shaping facilities, great D.I. out. They look damn funky too! (I like the blue lights!)

I use my Shuttle more often, as I Iove the clarity and definition, particularly with Dingwall 5 String basses. That said, I have used a wide range of basses including Jazzes, MM Sterling, T'birds, Aria SB1000, etc through this rig and they all sound superb. The twin channels and EQ give an almost infinite range of tonal possibilities, they sound great straight out of the box with everything set flat, but I initially spent a couple of hours tinkering with EQ to get my perfect tone. I rarely if ever use the foot control switch which is great, but once I've set up a nice tone, I leave well alone.

The Streamliner is a really great amp too. Warmer than the Shuttle (3 preamp valves) and great for vintage tone stuff with a jazz bass etc. Simpler tone controls and very easy/quick to dial in a great tone. I will not be parting with either.

I use my Genz Benz amps with Vanderkley cabs and these are probably the best combination I have found over many years playing most of the top brands.

Buy one or more if you get the chance!

Edited by BassManGraham

I prefer the Streamliner sound and have a 600. Stingray through it into a TechSoundsystems 2x12 (with a really good tweeter) gives me a very clear sound with plenty of warmth and bags of power. So small it would fit through most letter boxes and I've never had a single problem with it. Tragedy that Fender pulled the plug.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414404784' post='2588875']
I've had the Streamliner 900 and the Shuttle 9.2

The Shuttle is a really great little amp - very transparent and you can dial in a great number of tones in a very intuitive way (ie each control does exactly what you expect it to) Very versatile, although I wasn't too fond of the overdriven tone.

The Streamliner is a very interesting little monster. It has a lot more natural heft than the Shuttle, and the OD is quite respectable. The tone controls all seem to affect eachother, so there is a lot more playing about to do to get the tone you're after, but when you do find that tone, it seems more musical and less clinical than that of the Shuttle. It won't do super-bright, but the top end is lovely and smooth.

All IMO of course. They are both really nice amps.
[/quote]

I have both Shuttle 9.2 and Streamliner 900... both nice amps indeed, very nice. I thought the 9.2 was going to be more my thing, but to my surprise I prefer the Streamliner... but I would be happy with either really. I love the thick tone I get from the Streamliner, so easily, with just a hint of overdrive. The Shuttle 9.2 has plenty of bottom end, but I find the Streamliner easier to dial just the right amount in.

I don't have masses of experience and have a Streamliner 6.2 and 2x12 NX2 cab.
I went for it after getting advice from this forum and because I use a few pedals and prefer the simplicity and sound of the Streamliner.
Since getting it over a year ago I haven't looked at or lusted for anything else. I go and see lots of bands and have heard plenty bass set ups that I don't like-I won't name them in case I upset people :)
If it was stolen I'd look for another so that says it all really.

Edited by Pinball

I got a Streamliner 900 going into a Barefaced Big Twin 2 - love it! It does pretty much everything I want. It's ridiculously loud - in the rock'n'roll band I was playing in earlier this year, I generally gigged on less than volume level 1. Can't wait til we go out with the new prog and grunge bands I'm in - it's going to be sonic heaven! I haven't found anything negative to say about the Genz so far....

Ok, ampwise I'm more on the classical "big iron" route: playing a GBE 750 for 5 years now. In combination with the NeoXt212 cab it's a really good combination. This is a funny situation - the amp + rack is about 25 kilogramms, the cabinet just 21.

Now, what I like about the amp is first of all the raw power ..... the drummer is too loud .... smile .... turn master volume up just a bit ..... problem solved. Now, despite this nice ability (and - of course, I don't do this, ask the drummer instead .. but I *could*) - I like the brilliant tone of the amp, the clarity and the punch.
The GBE series has a lot of useful features. The most important for me: it has two completely separate channels, one FET and one valve. They have a each a full gain/volume/low/low mid/hi mid/treble section. Gives you the ability to sculpt two completely different sounds. Then, the channels can be switched and mixed ... which opens numerous possibilities I haven't explored in depth. For me, it's enough to have the EUB on the valve channel and the bassguit on the funky FET channel ....

In total: the best amp I have owned (yet) ... bought for a ridiculous 650 Euros :-). I you find one used ... get it. And: never had issues with it, it's built like a tank.

So: brilliant Amp!

Edited by tom5string

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1414447459' post='2589464']
What a ridiculous situation it is to not be able to buy new Genz amps and cabs! Fecking Fender.
[/quote]

I thought that Fender were just taking the existing amp models and then rebadging them as Fender?

It's not hugely subtle, but it'll be the first time a Fender badged bass amp has been of giggable quality for quite a few years.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1414520842' post='2590213']
You'd think that would be the sensible thing to do, wouldn't you? But nah, they cocked it up.
[/quote]

What a truly pointless acquisition that was.

$120M to buy a whole pile of 'all but dead' brand names and the one jewel in the crown that they could have used to replace their mediocre amp range gets shelved.

I won't be hugely surprised to see FMIC up for sale again in the near future - isn't it CBS's turn to own it again? :rolleyes:

Streamliner 900

Why I love it: loud, light, punchy, clear, valvey, lovely DI sound, great headphone sound... did I say loud?

What sets it apart: well there are are other amps that can give you lots of the above so I'm not convinced GBs are that unique.

Downside: flat is not flat, you need to knock the bass control back unless you really want a lot of bass.

Two Shuttle 6.0's. Why mess about when the design works so well...?

I like the unscooped mids and 600w is more than enough for any situation. There's extra oomph available if needed although I don't need a booming amp for small stages. Plus the size is great as well as the weight.