Why become a member? ×

Dunlop Super Bright Strings

NJE

I had an email last week saying Bass Direct's 2 for 1 offer on these strings was nearly up so I decided after much deliberation to give them a go, especially after seeing Paul Turner sing their praises.

I have to say that I am very impressed with them considering how cheap they are, even at full price. They came well packaged and the strings are sealed in an air tight bag which I really like the idea of, who knows if it helps the string in storage but it makes me feel better!

I got them on my Roscoe Beck just before a gig and they sounded ok on the bass but came alive when I plugged in, really beautiful thick bass and glistening top end. I would say initially they were a little lacking in mids (perhaps why they are aimed at slap bass players) but a small adjustment on the amp and the sound was superb. To be honest I find most new strings a little lacking in mids to start with.

Some people on the other bass forum said that the tension was low on these strings and that the Nickel strings were rough to touch. I didnt really notice any difference to EB Slinky strings except for maybe a tiny bit more texture but nothing to worry about.

All I can say is, great strings so far and performed well on Saturdays gig. I just need to see how long they last as I kill strings with toxic sweat pretty quickly so that will be a big factor for me. God knows why Dunlop are advertsiing these as strings for slap players, they have a superb fingerstyle tone, I dont slap at all and love them.

I will update when I have had them on for a while if anyone is interested, but I highly reccomend them so far. I think i have my new favourite strings!

• 2 weeks later...

I changed over to super bright steels and they are just what I,ve been looking for.
Great feel and grip,no overshooting or almost reaching a slide if you get what I mean.
Very good especially if you get the buy one get one free.
I think they are aimed at the slap brigade but you get the slappy sound with a pick easy peasey if you want it,good dynamics,might not appeal to everyone if your after the thud flatwound experience but you can roll off the tone and they thicken up nicely.
Had them on for over a month now gigs at the weekend and practice through week and still sound great,maybe better now there run in,played in.Very stable holding tune very well.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1415179603' post='2597416']
I changed over to super bright steels and they are just what I,ve been looking for.
Great feel and grip,no overshooting or almost reaching a slide if you get what I mean.
Very good especially if you get the buy one get one free.
I think they are aimed at the slap brigade but you get the slappy sound with a pick easy peasey if you want it,good dynamics,might not appeal to everyone if your after the thud flatwound experience but you can roll off the tone and they thicken up nicely.
Had them on for over a month now gigs at the weekend and practice through week and still sound great,maybe better now there run in,played in.Very stable holding tune very well.
[/quote]

I've had mine for a while and love them too! The stable tuning is because they are pre-stretched :-)

They also have lower tension than most brands and have a relatively high wrap ratio which means they feel smooth. I'm a total convert (and I rarely play slap, which they are designed for!).

I also got these in a 2 for 1 deal from strings direct. Strung up my Modulus Flea with them nearly 2 weeks ago and am finding them to be pretty decent. The strings have a lovely feel to them, not coarse at all, very slinky and smooth, thumbs up in that dept. They also seem to be holding up well regarding brightness and longevity which is good. They didn't require much settling in at all either. Once they were on and initially played with for 3-4 minutes they pretty much held their tuning perfectly. They are a bit toppy, but then, that's to be expected as they are aimed at slappers. Tonally a little bit 'vanilla' there's nothing here that is especially diifferent but for the price paid, there's no complaints. Not replacing my string of choice, D'Addario flexsteels anytime soon, but a good all-rounder. Recommended.

Edited by 40hz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought two sets in 2for1 deal, wanted to check them since many of my bass heroes and inspirations use them. Was totally unimpressed, and both sets died quite quickly, and that for me is the biggest factor + they don't do set of gauges that I am usually using. Staying with D'addario :)

I've recently converted to these strings. I love them. The first set I bought I accidentally ordered the stainless steels, a type of string I personally don't like. The curious nature in me made me put these strings on my Jazz to try them out and I was pleasantly surprised. They were actually quite loose tension for steels (loose tension strings are my preference) and they aren't as rough as the average steel string. I found they sounded quite balanced and not too overly zingy as most steels are. I persevered with them for 4-5 weeks and I've now replaced them with a Nickel set of these strings, which are just perfect for me.

• 8 months later...

Recently started using these, the nickel version, and must say they're the best strings I've tried so far. Interestingly on the back of the wrapping they are advertised as strings for the slapping bassist. I do not slap often, they're great for any style. Have them on both a jazz and a bartolini equiped bass. Great balance between each string, the G doesn't zing as with some brands. Not expensive, too. Prefer them to R. Cocco I've been using.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bit of an older thread, but presumably people have been using these for a while now... I've had a set on my go-to bass for about six months and they still seem to be going strong. Was wondering how these compare to the regular Dunlop roundwounds? I'm assuming the standards have a higher tension, but is the tone similar?