Why become a member? ×

Dave Grohl does it again

Happy Jack

I was a bit suspicious at first, thinking this might turn out to be a 60-minute advertising puff for the new Foo Fighters album.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04n60j3/foo-fighters-sonic-highways-episode-1

Not a bit of it. A superb piece of documentary work ... amusing & entertaining, with some great characters. The music's not at all bad, and very little of it is actually the Foos (just in case you hate the band).

Yeah it was excellent. I don't really dig the Foo's music, but I have great admiration for them as a band, and for Dave Grohl. They epitomise everything good about music and being in a band, with a very deep and genuine adoration of rock music and its history. He's a great ambassador, and one of the few torchbearers for good old honest rock music.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1414433621' post='2589244']
Yeah it was excellent. I don't really dig the Foo's music, but I have great admiration for them as a band, and for Dave Grohl. They epitomise everything good about music and being in a band, with a very deep and genuine adoration of rock music and its history. He's a great ambassador, and one of the few torchbearers for good old honest rock music.
[/quote]

Could not have said it better myself, it fires my enthusiasm up watching all them great musicians/ producers.

Also the BBC for putting something so interesting on TV.

[/quote]

Spot on.

Everybody seems to love Dave Grohl except Courtney Love...which is slightly ironic :unsure:

[/quote]

This, except I really like them Food Fighters... that's what they get called when there is a four year old in your house. Some of the DG / Foos stuff available on You Toob is excellent.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1414432473' post='2589227']
That doc he did about the Sound City board by Neave was great too.
[/quote]

The first half of the programme where they told the history of the studio was fantastic.

The second half with Dave Grohl and his mates recording some rather bland and uninspiring music while endlessly enthusing about the desk was dull, dull, dull.

I almost missed this documentary strand, particularly as the first two back-to-back episodes were late on Sunday night. I thought DG's doc on Sound City was really good and I'm glad he was able to negotiate the purchase of the Neve desk before it got gobbled up by some other studio or worse, sold for spares. At least it has gone to a new studio in the hands of an appreciative owner.

Not always been a big fan of the music, having never really 'gotten' Nirvana but he seems to be a genuine guy with a real deep-seated love of great American rock anthems. But it goes deeper than that as well, with his punk and gogo funk roots. He certainly has a wide musical experience growing up. All-in-all a very absorbing first couple of programs with the promise of more to come. I shall have to keep a beady eye on iPlayer from now on....