Why become a member? ×

Washburn Status 1000, String rattle and buzz after string gauge change.

big rob

Dear All,
Sorted the electrics now on my Washburn Status, however i have change the strings to 30-90 gauge and now have dead notes on 3rd fret and below and some fret buzz. Must be the change in gauge, but do i need to adjust the truss rod? there is no nut it being headless. Your help as always would be much appreciated.

Regards
Rob

Sounds like you've gone to a lighter gauge than the bass was previously strung with so you've not got enough relief (which is why there's fret buzz and note choking near the nut). You need to slacken off the truss rod, maybe an 1/8 of a turn or so. Leave it for 24 hours to let the neck settle and see if it's any better.

As HowieBass said. Moving from heavier to lighter gauge strings usually means the neck adopting a back bow which would explain dead notes below third fret. The trus rod adjustment on your bass is at the body end of the neck, under the little plate. As you are looking at the end of the trus rod (adjusting end) lefty loosey, righty tighty. Left to induce a forward bow, which is probably what you need.

Cheers BassBus,
I will give it a go tomorrow, have band tonight and have put the old strings back on and its fine again. Do i turn until it plays ok and then leave it 24hrs to settle or do i need to turn, leave it 24hrs and then see if it plays OK. Sorry for all the questions, have always seen truss rod adjustment as a bit voodoo and don't want to f it up.

Kind Regards
Rob

A very well respected Brighton based luthier told me that allowing 24 hours to settle is largely pointless when making slight adjustments for string change. Fair enough if the truss-rod has been slackened off for a while with no strings, but for the amount you're adjusting it should be a fairly instant change. Anything below a full turn will generally have instant results from what I gather.

If you follow the Gary Willis setup guide and help the neck along a bit during adjustment you should be ready to rock almost instantly.

This was successfully demonstrated during the conversation on my 1970s MusicMan.

[quote name='big rob' timestamp='1414487209' post='2589647']
Cheers BassBus,
I will give it a go tomorrow, have band tonight and have put the old strings back on and its fine again. Do i turn until it plays ok and then leave it 24hrs to settle or do i need to turn, leave it 24hrs and then see if it plays OK. Sorry for all the questions, have always seen truss rod adjustment as a bit voodoo and don't want to f it up.

Kind Regards
Rob
[/quote]

Some people like to set a bass up by look and feel. I like to work with measurements to rough it in and then see how it feels.

If you can get hold of a capo, clamp that on at the first fret then hold the E string down at 17th fret. Then check the distance between fret and string at 5th and/or 7th fret. I use a feeler gauge of 0.3mm as a guide. if it slips in without moving the string the neck relief is OK. If it moves the string then trus rod needs loosening a bit more. If the gauge has room either side of it the trus rod needs tightening. Some players prefer a narrower gap. That's where feel comes in. It's what suits you and what you feel comfortable with.

Gary Willis' guide is good but remember he plays with a really light touch. If you like to dig in more neck relief might be better. Lots of vidoes on YouTube on the subject.