Why become a member? ×

Warwicks and hipshots

goblin

Here's one which has crossed my mind,

I've recently got a SS1 5 string, now with my new gig, I won't really have time to mess about with swapping basses to ones in drop D etc, so I want to put a pair of hipshot extenders on the bottom two strings of (both) my Streamers. I know they'll fit on the B string, but am I likely to be able to get one on the E string too?

Here's a couple of similar questions regarding other makes. It seems to me that there isn't room on the 3 peg side of a 5 string with 2/3 headstock. Get a lefty and string it upside down or would that cause more problems than it solves ;-)

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/hipshot-extender-on-a-5r-e-string.641664/
https://www.dingwallguitars.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=23556&sid=97763f521fe1a07768980734d923d57b

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1414459901' post='2589558']
The tuners are to extend the range of the instrument, so dropping the E on a 5 string wouldn't be of any benefit.

I'm confused why you can't just drop the B string down to A when you need to and play the E-string notes where they are normally.

What am I missing?
[/quote]

I'm assuming for stuff when the guitars are in drop D. makes it easier for riffs and such at times. I'm having a similar quandry.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1414461148' post='2589563']
I never tune the same way as the guitars.

If a low B isn't low enough I drop that, but the rest stays where it is.

No point matching the guitars - leave the notes where they are!
[/quote]

I agree to an extent however sometimes I just like to be able to do the riff easier on the D string. Normally I do stick to using the B string (occasionally dropped to A)