Why become a member? ×

Bass valuation?

Leslie77s

I understand that there are many variables when it comes to valuation but I wondered what all you experienced sellers really judge a bass on before you set a for sale price?

I was thinking of taking one of my basses to a couple of local stores that offer the service but wonder if it's a waste of time/money as just another opinion when all the members on here have probably bought and sold more than many retailers over the years.

Go to the Basses for Sale forum, search for your model and you should see the kind of prices that bass goes for.
Bear in mind that they may have accepted a lower offer behind the scenes. And best only to look at the ones marked sold.
You will also come across extreme frustration when you see it has been sold, and the seller has deleted any pricing info Grrrrrr

Many stores use a reference book for valuations such as the Blue Book, which means you'll generally get the goijng rate wherever you go - although they will vary.

The thing is, something is only worth as much as somebody is prepared to pay for it. IF you trade in, the shop are essentially taking an educated guess as to what they think someone will be prepared to pay for it. Too much and it won't sell, so they generally offer less.

The thing is selling is a bit of a mixed bag... BC is good for selling as it has a large, ready made market of buyers but... the BC folk are a lot more knowledgable about a basses worth than you average music shop buyer. You will not sell a bass on BC for more than it is worth but in a shop you could do, there is a chance you could sell it for much more however it will likely take longer. Assuming you want to make as much money as possible from a sale I would use a shop... if your looking for a quick turnaround then use BC.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1414487748' post='2589657']
The thing is selling is a bit of a mixed bag... BC is good for selling as it has a large, ready made market of buyers but... the BC folk are a lot more knowledgable about a basses worth than you average music shop buyer. You will not sell a bass on BC for more than it is worth but in a shop you could do, there is a chance you could sell it for much more however it will likely take longer. Assuming you want to make as much money as possible from a sale I would use a shop... if your looking for a quick turnaround then use BC.
[/quote]

I always assumed that you'd get less from a shop as they need to factor in their markup on top of the 'saleable rate'?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414487935' post='2589665']
I always assumed that you'd get less from a shop as they need to factor in their markup on top of the 'saleable rate'?
[/quote]

I guess it depends on the bass...

Before I decided to keep my jazz, I was offered a good 20% more by a couple of shops than the price I'd had it for sale on BC for over two months with absolutely zero interest... and they would have put a mark up on the price they gave me.

You'll always get less for a trade-in - same as with cars - you have to allow for the markup the shop will put on (15 - 30%) as well as the fact that they may already have a wall of brand new Fenders - plus it may take a while to sell. Fenders will sell more quickly than a lot of other makes though so they should be happy to take it.

Best to ask for a valuation from them before you reveal that you want to trade it in, then see if its worth trying to sell on eBay or wherever first.

The other option many stores offer is that they sell it for you. They will take a commission, but you get to call the price point. the downside is you have to wait for it to sell...