Why become a member? ×

My new bass...

Well after a hectic few weeks my electric basses, amps and assorted equipment are long gone, no regrets as its paid for our new car and other pressing matters. Where my amp lived in the corner of our room there now sits a large gig bag containing a rather beautiful, and for now menacing Bridge Eub. It's an amazing looking instrument, like an artistic sculpture of a double bass in black, with the hollow carbon body giving enough volume to practice with. It's got a bit of weight to it so combined with the body it's much closer ergonomically to a real double bass than most EUB's.
All i have to do now is learn how to play the thing :) One thing which gives me some hope is after years of playing the frets rather than the notes my ears seem to work to some degree! All i have done so far is play a few notes in the first position to try and get some strength built up. Whats the best way of getting to know the notes? i have some good diagrams of all the notes up to the 6th position should i practice my intonation in position moving from one position to another or move in a linear fashion on one string or would scales be a better option? Tuition wise i have nothing sorted at the moment but i have ordered a few books/dvd'd including Simandi on jons recommendation.

Another question is string height, mine in about 13mm at the end of the finger board, should i think of having it lowered a little or should i build up the strength to play it as it is? Bear on mind that although it has an large hollow body it would always need amplification, from what i can see i can't fit bridge adjusters due to the pickup design.

Its going to be a while before i am making any music but the journey is going to be a lot of fun, you really can't beat the feel of those big strings and vibrating body, at last a G string that sounds good! :huh:

Any tutors or players around banbury who could start me off in the right direction?

steve

Hey Steve, congrats & remember that double bass 'action' is always much higher than any bgt :) You're welcome to come up here for a couple of lessons, but it's a helluva long trek!

As for technique, make sure your left hand is parallel to the board (no slanty hand!) & make sure your thumb is behind your middle finger, leaving some clearance between the palm of your hand & the neck.

Have a look at York Studies book 1 (nice and easy) & then onto the OUP series "Double Bass Solo 1."

And have fun!

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='253594' date='Aug 3 2008, 07:56 AM']Hey Steve, congrats & remember that double bass 'action' is always much higher than any bgt :) You're welcome to come up here for a couple of lessons, but it's a helluva long trek!

As for technique, make sure your left hand is parallel to the board (no slanty hand!) & make sure your thumb is behind your middle finger, leaving some clearance between the palm of your hand & the neck.

Have a look at York Studies book 1 (nice and easy) & then onto the OUP series "Double Bass Solo 1."

And have fun!

Rich.[/quote]

Thanks for the advise Rich, the reason i asked about action is Rodger (bassace) in replying to another question about action said his were set at 6mm for technical stuff and 9mm, what i don't want to do is slow down my learning process by playing an action which is much higher than needed as the Bridge is essentially an electric upright despite it's large body.

Another question, what do people think of using markers? I'm not thinking of marking every note but just the positions, good idea ?

Edited by steve-norris

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='261975' date='Aug 13 2008, 10:11 PM']Markers on the board (like those little sticky dots) are fine for starting off, just make sure the thumb is kept behind the middle finger & that when you change position you move the whole hand as a unit.[/quote]

#Sharp intake of breath#

You don't believe in pivoting? Rabbath is rolling (very gently, backwards & forwards around his thumb) in his grave. [i](EDIT: I've just noticed he isn't dead, which makes that joke redundant & factually incorrect.)[/i]

Examples of pivoting; [url="http://contrabassconversations.com/guests/special-features/virtual-lessons/"]http://contrabassconversations.com/guests/...irtual-lessons/[/url]

Edited by dougal

[quote name='steve-norris' post='253722' date='Aug 3 2008, 01:51 PM']Another question, what do people think of using markers? I'm not thinking of marking every note but just the positions, good idea ?[/quote]

My view is they are a terrible idea, the angle of incidence makes a firm viewing point only relative, so a slight movement of the head (which is a necessary action when reaching the full range of the bass) renders the relative position of the markers completely different for every degree of movement.
So it's like quicksand.

More importantly than the visual difficulties, they encourage a visual reference when what is needed is an aural reference, learn to play in tune with your ears not your eyes.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='262041' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:06 PM']More importantly than the visual difficulties, they encourage a visual reference when what is needed is an aural reference, learn to play in tune with your ears not your eyes.[/quote]
Practice in the dark along with a simple song you can play along with. Gain intonation by ear, not eye. Afterall, it's sound your making.