Why become a member? ×

Changed to lighter strings on bass, adjustment required?

Instructio4

Hello so i just changed to some Ernie Ball Super Slinky Strings (had regulars on before) and on the low E string i am getting some fret buzz.... can this be fixed by just raising the saddle a little bit?

When changing the strings i done it very carefully and one by one so i doubt the neck it out of shape or anything like that.

:)

Thanks

Edited by Astronaut_Abort

[quote name='Astronaut_Abort' timestamp='1414623330' post='2591643']
I see.. always been told to be careful with the truss rod adjustment..
[/quote]

Nothing to be afraid of, just be sensible: if it is too hard to turn... don't force it. That's all.

If you tighten it (clockwise) you'll go against the pull of the strings, decreasing the relief, flattening the neck. If you loosen it, you let the string pull bend the neck adding relief.

So, if you change strings and you use a set that reduces the pull, you may find the neck loses relief and the strings buzz against the frets. In that case, turn the truss rod anticlockwise, to let the strings pull the neck a little more. How much? I'd probably do a quarter or half a turn at the time, and see how it goes. Contrary to what some say (probably the same ones that tell horror stories and warn against touching the truss rod), the neck changes shape pretty fast... so you'll tell straight away. If you think it needs more, then another half turn or so... and repeat until happy. Small adjustments and check often. Once you are done, you may find that after a few hours, or the next day, the neck has changed a TINY bit. That can happen, so don't worry. You just might need a further fine-adjustment, but that should be it.

Don't be afraid of the truss rod. The neck often changes with the seasons: humidity changes and temperature. It's not unusual to have to do some minor adjustments to an instrument once or twice a year.

If you were happy with the setup before you changed strings, you will not have to touch the saddles. The truss rod is the correct tool to adjust relief changes brought about by string tension changes or humidity changes... Changing string gauges won't affect the saddles! All you want is to restore the nect curvature to the way it was before.

Edited by mcnach

Ok so i've adjusted the truss rod and turned it anti-clockwise by about x3 quarter turns, and it did make an improvement. However i don't know if it's me but it seems like the action is now higher, the feel of going up and down the fretboard is different... I've tightened it a tad to see if it helps. Just so you know i did leave significant time between adjustments, it wasn't all done at once.

I'm starting to think i should have stuck with the regular slinkys, the fret buzz may be partially down to my playing style (mainly punk stuff)...

Hmmm <_<

Edited by Astronaut_Abort