Why become a member? ×

Precision - which one?

A year or so ago I bought a Korean P off ebay (refinished in Surf - or possibly Seafoam - Green) for festivals and "dodgy" gigs so that I didn't have to use my vintage Rics. It sounded poor with the strings it came with but I restrung it with my preferred Rotos, 40-95, and was really surprised; it sounded great. In fact I use it an awful lot now and used it for all but 2 festival gigs this year.

I replaced the loom with a KiOgon, tried a 70s DiMarzio but found it too ballsy (I can see the puzzled looks from here!) so put the original pickup back in, and got a BassDoc minty plate. I really like the neck and sound and it looks tremendous; the only downside is the truss rod is maxed. I've tried it against various other Ps from various eras and places of manufacture and so far the only ones I liked better were a '65 (lovely) and a '73 m/n (ditto), both in excess of 2 grand.

Still, GAS is GAS and I've started thinking that I'd like a "better" P. Due to a current absence of funds anything true vintage is out; I initially started thinking of a Classic Vibe 60s (heard good reports of those) but was concerned it wouldn't be much different, or a Nate Mendel (probably used), but then also started to think about Limelight, although that's at the top end funds-wise. The thing is I don't know if I'll prefer any of them to my bass, and I really don't need 2 P Basses. The last thing I want to do is spend money I don't need to, and I really do like mine, although the truss rod could do with sorting for the future.

So, CV, Nate Mendel, Limelight, or stick with the Korean? The only one I can really get to play is the CV. FWIW I prefer a vintage, tinted gloss neck (or worn version of same), my preferred profile seems to be early 70s-ish - not too wide - and I seem to prefer medium/jumbo frets, although that isnt hard and fast. Oh, and it has to be light. Beyond that, it's all good(ish). Although not keen on the normal Mex or US ones, for some reason, they just don't do it for me.

How about just changing the neck? MightyMite are pretty good, Warmouth or a 2nd hand?

Example = http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lic-by-Fender-70s-Maple-Precision-Bass-Neck-MM2907-/331356036454?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4d265bdd66

Cheerz, John

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1414501539' post='2589855']
How about just changing the neck? MightyMite are pretty good, Warmouth or a 2nd hand?

Example = http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lic-by-Fender-70s-Maple-Precision-Bass-Neck-MM2907-/331356036454?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4d265bdd66

Cheerz, John
[/quote]
Status graphite necks look rather splendid too

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1414501539' post='2589855']

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

That's also been an ongoing consideration John. I'm naturally indecisive.:-)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1414500824' post='2589839']
A year or so ago I bought a Korean P off ebay (refinished in Surf - or possibly Seafoam - Green) for festivals and "dodgy" gigs so that I didn't have to use my vintage Rics. It sounded poor with the strings it came with but I restrung it with my preferred Rotos, 40-95, and was really surprised; it sounded great. In fact I use it an awful lot now and used it for all but 2 festival gigs this year.

I replaced the loom with a KiOgon, tried a 70s DiMarzio but found it too ballsy (I can see the puzzled looks from here!) so put the original pickup back in, and got a BassDoc minty plate. I really like the neck and sound and it looks tremendous; the only downside is the truss rod is maxed. I've tried it against various other Ps from various eras and places of manufacture and so far the only ones I liked better were a '65 (lovely) and a '73 m/n (ditto), both in excess of 2 grand.

Still, GAS is GAS and I've started thinking that I'd like a "better" P. Due to a current absence of funds anything true vintage is out; I initially started thinking of a Classic Vibe 60s (heard good reports of those) but was concerned it wouldn't be much different, or a Nate Mendel (probably used), but then also started to think about Limelight, although that's at the top end funds-wise. The thing is I don't know if I'll prefer any of them to my bass, and I really don't need 2 P Basses. The last thing I want to do is spend money I don't need to, and I really do like mine, although the truss rod could do with sorting for the future.

So, CV, Nate Mendel, Limelight, or stick with the Korean? The only one I can really get to play is the CV. FWIW I prefer a vintage, tinted gloss neck (or worn version of same), my preferred profile seems to be early 70s-ish - not too wide - and I seem to prefer medium/jumbo frets, although that isnt hard and fast. Oh, and it has to be light. Beyond that, it's all good(ish). Although not keen on the normal Mex or US ones, for some reason, they just don't do it for me.
[/quote]

I have a Nate Mendel and Limelight Precision and I love them both. Both offer great quality, playability and spec for the money but if I had to spend the same again Id get another limelight, simply because you get to spec it yourself!

If you like the Korean Squier take it to a luthier to get the truss rod sorted. Those MIKs have great necks and once the electrics are sorted are basses that punch well above their price-tags. I had one, foolishly sold it, so tracked another one down. Great players imo.

That said, the Nate fits the bill re your neck-spec, and I`m yet to read anything bad about them, could be worth a try - and there`s one on Gumtree at present.

I don't know how much a truss rod costs to repair but I would certainly second recommendations for a Mighty Mite neck. I have one on a MIJ Precision body (in my case a Jazz neck) and it is great - they cost around £100 on eBay.

The only negative thing you have to say about your bass is it's neck, so I would simply replace that.

If the budget allows, go for a Status graphite neck ! Looks awesome with a seafoam green body too.

THe MIghty mite necks are decent for the money, it all depends what your budget is. A Status neck is in a different league though.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1414513729' post='2590087']
Have you considered a [i]play [/i]with [i]a Lakland Bob Glaub[/i]........?
[/quote]

I have as I've only heard good things about them, but am not overly keen on the headstock or non-ambered neck......

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1414523051' post='2590254']

I have a Nate Mendel and Limelight Precision and I love them both. Both offer great quality, playability and spec for the money but if I had to spend the same again Id get another limelight, simply because you get to spec it yourself!
[/quote]

Yes, that is the tempting part :-)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1414523947' post='2590267']
If you like the Korean Squier take it to a luthier to get the truss rod sorted. Those MIKs have great necks and once the electrics are sorted are basses that punch well above their price-tags. I had one, foolishly sold it, so tracked another one down. Great players imo.

That said, the Nate fits the bill re your neck-spec, and I`m yet to read anything bad about them, could be worth a try - and there`s one on Gumtree at present.
[/quote]

I must admit I've thought about getting the rod sorted, but was just worried it would be a lot of money relative to the value of the bass. I might consider taking it to the Gallery next time I'm down. I do love the bass; whilst it is what it is it does the job and does it with character.

Thanks for the heads up re the NM BTW....

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1414525791' post='2590309']
If you can handle not having a 'traditional' looking P the Road Worn Mike Dirnt signature bass is one of the nicest Precisions I've ever played, and is retailing around the £8-900 mark on Thomann.
[/quote]

Yep, that's another consideration!

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1414532946' post='2590440']
The only negative thing you have to say about your bass is it's neck, so I would simply replace that.

If the budget allows, go for a Status graphite neck ! Looks awesome with a seafoam green body too.

THe MIghty mite necks are decent for the money, it all depends what your budget is. A Status neck is in a different league though.
[/quote]

Interesting to hear people's thoughts re the MM necks as in the US they seem to be less highly regarded. Puts my mind at rest a little.

Re Status necks, I've never liked the sound of carbon fibre necks, and I've played a lot (and owned a few).

Edited by 4000

I guess you need to figure out what you like in a precision. Fat neck or skinny? Wide or slim? Rolled fingerboard? Light instrument or not bothered? Nitro or not bothered? Vintage p bass tones or more modern sounds? Maple or rosewood?

I could recommend a Roadworn, as they are freakishly good, but you might not like wide necks and the vintage vibe.

I'd also keep an eye out for an SQ series Squier, there was one for sale on here not long ago for a great price. Any MIJ should be a great instrument having said that.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1414538416' post='2590558']
Re Status necks, I've never liked the sound of carbon fibre necks, and I've played a lot (and owned a few).
[/quote]

I am not convinced that graphite necks have a "sound".

I have owned graphite-necked Statuses and now have a STatus neck on a traditional Jazz design. The Statuses sounded like Statuses (obviously !). The Jazz still sounds like a Jazz, just with a really rigid and resonant neck. There is no particular spike in any frequency range, or any other "graphite-ness" in the tone.
It is unfortunate that people associate graphite necks with the type of sound that Status and Zon basses make. It has little to do with the neck on these basses and more to do with the general design.