Why become a member? ×

what amp do you use with your Barefaced super 12T

Kevin Dean

With my Barefaced Big Twin T I use various combinations[size=4] of [/size][size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Demeter HBP1-800D, Alembic F-1X into a Powersoft LD2004 or a Genz-Benz ShuttleMax 9.2. I prefer using the Demeter or Alembic / Powersoft over the Genz as they seem to give the clarity and sound I like. Clean, full range, hi-fi and punchy but not wooly or brittle. I'm not saying the Genz is sub-par in any way as its one heck of an amp, just slightly prefer the others.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]What sort of sound are you looking for from your set-up?[/font][/size]

I used a Streamliner and an F1. Rather different amps. I found you pretty much get out what you put into a Super 12.

I found the Streamliner was best with a Schroeder - the low-mid voicing of the cab seemed to tame the big arse end of the Streamliner.

I use a Markbass LM II. I'm happy with it across a variety of basses from passive Fender Jazz to my MTD. I've had other amps but that was before I got my Super 12T. I do fancy trying an Aguilar or a Demeter with it one day.

What sort of sound are you after?

It's not so much of what sound i like it's a case of what works live for me , when I use the little rocker I get a sound I like bit I'm told out front I sound too HI Fi & no oomph ! When I use the Ashdown 400H there is a low end frequency that is really over powering that I can't eq out without changing the sound completely ...perhaps I just need to try a boss graphic to eq it out .

Edited by Kevin Dean

Guest monsterthompson

I notice a Genz Shuttle tends to be a common pairing with many BF cabs. I've got a Shuttle 9.0 with my G3 Compact and Midget, which aren't the same as the cab you've got, so I'm not certain my input is terribly helpful.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1414513174' post='2590073']
Do you use the pre shape button ?
[/quote]

No, just a bit of the valve pre amp and adjust the eq to suit the venue. Usually just add a bit a middle and slight cut on the bass.

I've tried........

GB Shuttle 9.0
Orange TB500
Phil Jones D200
Markbass TTE500

The TTE500 is the only one that got compliments from our guitard.

Still looking for an all-valve that will sit on it's slim little body and not look like a mushroom. The Mesa Prodigy Four:88, fits but is close to £2000 new :-(

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1414515058' post='2590112']
I've tried........

GB Shuttle 9.0
Orange TB500
Phil Jones D200
Markbass TTE500

The TTE500 is the only one that got compliments from our guitard.

Still looking for an all-valve that will sit on it's slim little body and not look like a mushroom. The Mesa Prodigy Four:88, fits but is close to £2000 new :-(
[/quote] What style do you play , pic , fingers ?

Used to use a pick, now fingers, with thumb for quiet stuff

Now add a Markbass F1 to the list - tried it last night at full band practice and discovered a level of floor shaking bass that none of the others had ever come close to - incredible :-)

Aguilar Tonehammer 500. Only used it once so far, but very pleased with the sound - a really nice warm, gnarly driven tone (much like a modern sounding Ampeg really) that`s ideal for my punk band. I wouldn`t recommend the TH for super hi-fi cleans but it is great for what I do.

Must admit to having my doubts about my super 12t when I first got it but as times gone on I've used it with a shuttle 9 ,streamliner 9 and now using it with a puma 900.playing in the house band at a jam session tonight I stood at the back as another guy was playing and the sound was bloody amazing!always wondered if it lacked a bit of ummph but hearing it earlier it filled the room with a clear full but tight sound.certainly didn't lack presence at all.great stuff!:-)

I other day & for some reason I didn't go through the PA & it kept up with the 4K pa , You can see it on youtube under "Scary Clown College" & the person recording it was right next to the PA Sub .
Any way last night I spent ages checking out the following heads with the 12T , TC Bh250 this just sounded horrible I just couldn't get away from a nasal sound .The Markbass Little Rocker & MO Mark 250 were ok but lacked ooomph compared to the Ashdown ABM 400 RH . I'd like to try a Genz Benz but worried about support .

I'm one of the masses with a Super Twelve and GB Shuttle 9.0. I've tried a few different heads through the cab and I've got to say that the ole Barefaced does justice to them all. A guy in another band recently put a Tiny Terror through it and I've got to give credit to Orange on that, it sounded really awesome. I'm starting to get a bit of GAS for a Markbass though, I'd love to try a TTE800 though it.

Has anyone tried a Warwick LWA1000 through one by any vague chance? I've not played any Warwick gear for years but curious about this one.

I've used a few amps with my S12t. The first was a Hartke LH1000 (OK - but heavy), then I went the Pre/power amp option of Tech21/Crown (Ok) and now I use the GK MB800. The GK seems to have far more power than previous options - and is very light. Looks like a set top box though!!. Its great - and is my permanent choice for the S12t.