Why become a member? ×

Amp Build Diary

Chienmortbb

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1426856389' post='2722761']
I've built a few cabs & would love to build just a power amp into one but to be honest most of the amp techy stuff is way over my head.
I looked at the module you bought but even tho they say its 'plug n play' I don't see it but it is new to me.
[/quote]

The closest thing to plug and play for an in-cab build is probably something like one of the plate amps from MiniDSP, Hypex, or SpeakerPower.

Cheers .. I did email Hypex but they haven't replied as yet. I can't really afford any of them anyway so when I build my next cab I think I might leave space to integrate the minima one unit I have in my powered bagend cab.

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1426955768' post='2724004']
Cheers .. I did email Hypex but they haven't replied as yet. I can't really afford any of them anyway so when I build my next cab I think I might leave space to integrate the minima one unit I have in my powered bagend cab.
[/quote]

I looked into buying one of those at one time too. I ended up buying one from SpeakerPower because I wanted access to the DSP functions, but it's an OEM version and the price has since gone sky high on both that and the non-DSP consumer version.

I have mocked up three options for the front panel and would appreciate comments. There is a black, red and orange option. I tried other colours but none of the worked. They are rough and ready and all need some tarting up but you get the idea
So which one is more rock and roll?<p>

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1427043980' post='2725005']
I have mocked up three options for the front panel and would appreciate comments. There is a black, red and orange option. I tried other colours but none of the worked. They are rough and ready and all need some tarting up but you get the idea
So which one is more rock and roll?<p>
[/quote] text wise the 3rd one is better- but - keep the type all the same size/ weight and in line across the top.

I also know why you've spaced them as you have, and it kinda makes sense but visually in 3d - and also in terms of the ergonomics of the thing I would space the knobs out equally to each other across the top.

Colourwise I like the orange one - (but not the type choice for can'd heat) .

No mute button?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1427064594' post='2725444']
text wise the 3rd one is better- but - keep the type all the same size/ weight and in line across the top.

I also know why you've spaced them as you have, and it kinda makes sense but visually in 3d - and also in terms of the ergonomics of the thing I would space the knobs out equally to each other across the top.

Colourwise I like the orange one - (but not the type choice for can'd heat) .

No mute button?
[/quote] Good points. The typeface for the controls will changed to a uniform style and size. The control spacing will be equal too, I just need to play around with the control names a bit as the longer names screw with the spacing.

The Can'd Heat' is an abreviation of the place I live and I thought it fun in a Lynyrd Skynyrd kind of way. If I keep it, the font will change.

As for the mute switch, you have caught me out. Front panel mute is part of the design but I forgot to include it on the drawings.

I like all three colours in different ways and will try the black one first as my laser printer is monochrome. However I can get the red and orange printed at Staples for about £1

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1427066384' post='2725491']
Good points. The typeface for the controls will changed to a uniform style and size. The control spacing will be equal too, I just need to play around with the control names a bit as the longer names screw with the spacing.

The Can'd Heat' is an abreviation of the place I live and I thought it fun in a Lynyrd Skynyrd kind of way. If I keep it, the font will change.

As for the mute switch, you have caught me out. Front panel mute is part of the design but I forgot to include it on the drawings.

I like all three colours in different ways and will try the black one first as my laser printer is monochrome. However I can get the red and orange printed at Staples for about £1
[/quote] Looks good - the only other thought I had was.... If the jack inputs should go on the bottom level - that war the sticky out bit of the jack doesn't get in the way of the controls and you have more space across the top to mount controls. ?

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1427043980' post='2725005']
I have mocked up three options for the front panel and would appreciate comments.
[/quote]

No blue LEDs? Beyond that, I'm going to sit back and enjoy this phase. I've made enough work for you as it is!

Edited by Passinwind

The designs are early stage Charlie and I am the one that never goes to a blockbuster, and despite everyone's efforts never got Springsteen,so I will not use blue LEDs just because they are en vogue. Might try some purple ones though.
It helps having you guys around though to keep me honest.Now where can I buy some HH electroluminescent strip.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1427146814' post='2726527']
The designs are early stage Charlie and I am the one that never goes to a blockbuster, and despite everyone's efforts never got Springsteen,so I  will not use blue LEDs just because they are  en vogue. Might  try some purple ones though.
It helps having you guys around though to keep me honest.Now where can I buy some HH electroluminescent strip.
[/quote]

Ha...nice! I sometimes use blue LEDs just because they tend to match my usual graphic schemes. I turn the brightness way down though, even on the low intensity highly diffused variants I have on hand. The front panel for my new preamp build is due in from Front Panel Express in a few days, and after laying out all that cash I have to say I'm rather envious of your option to take a few do-overs with little penalty.

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1423776974' post='2689026']
I just did a bit of benchmark testing in RMAA and saw a few subtle things that may need massaging, but it looks pretty good all in all. These figures are with both the high pass and the parametric EQ engaged, neither of which change the measurements all that much when bypassed.

[/quote]

what software do you use for making tests like these andd doing sweeps?

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1427155090' post='2726642']
what software do you use for making tests like these and doing sweeps?
[/quote]

[url="http://audio.rightmark.org/index_new.shtml"]http://audio.rightma...index_new.shtml[/url]

[url="https://www.trueaudio.com/rta_abt1.htm"]https://www.trueaudio.com/rta_abt1.htm[/url]

[url="http://www.holmacoustics.com/holmimpulse.php"]http://www.holmacous...holmimpulse.php[/url]

[url="http://www.roomeqwizard.com/"]http://www.roomeqwizard.com/[/url]

RMAA is a bit of a hassle if you need real-world calibrated results for signal to noise measurements, as sound cards are not very well standardized, and also because the software works best at pretty hot input and output levels that a lot of musical instrument gear will struggle with a bit. It's quite useful for DIY benchmarking even without jumping through all the hoops though.

Edited by Passinwind

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted on here and many things have happened in my personal life. So apologies again for the delays.

My computer crashed during a back up to my USB drive, It took out both the computer and the USB drive. I have been struggling for the last week trying to get a working computer. I lost all of the files I had created for the Amp, specifically front panel designs and block diagrams. In addition the boss is in hospital so it's not been a good few weeks for me. As a result little progress has been made with the amp.

In the meantime, Rod Elliot on his ESP pages has posted a bells and whistles design for a bass amp. Part one is here: http://www.sound.westhost.com/project152-1.htm

I would be interested in your comments.

I just came across this thread and read through it. Everything is completely above my head and outside my experience, but it's been fascinating to see how you've gone about pulling it all together, and impressive to see several others getting involved and sharing resources and knowledge.

How infuriating that you lost all those files! Best wishes to you and your wife, and thanks for posting such an interesting thread, which I'm sure is an inspiration to other potential home-builders.

Black and cream! B)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1429798430' post='2755069']
In the meantime, Rod Elliot on his ESP pages has posted a bells and whistles design for a bass amp. Part one is here: [url="http://www.sound.westhost.com/project152-1.htm"]http://www.sound.wes...roject152-1.htm[/url]

I would be interested in your comments.
[/quote]

That's a perfect design, IMO. Rod is one of the few people posting on professional audio on the internet whose advice is solid. I'd prefer the second order crossover option for use with a midrange driver. Apart from that - bang-on.

There are lots of good ideas in that article. I particularly liked his comments on valve amplifiers.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1430910860' post='2765784']That's a perfect design, IMO. Rod is one of the few people posting on professional audio on the internet whose advice is solid. I'd prefer the second order crossover option for use with a midrange driver. Apart from that - bang-on.[/quote]

I've spent so much time on his site over the years! I was honoured to find a link from his site to ours recently when looking through our website analytics - and then I spotted his new bass amp design. Very well thought out indeed!

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1430910860' post='2765784']

That's a perfect design, IMO. Rod is one of the few people posting on professional audio on the internet whose advice is solid. I'd prefer the second order crossover option for use with a midrange driver. Apart from that - bang-on.

There are lots of good ideas in that article. I particularly liked his comments on valve amplifiers.
[/quote]Stevie Rod has some good articles on valves and valve amps and links to some good resources. They are all worth a read.

I think this is an excellent project. Has given me a few ideas although I am trying to resist feature creep, Now back to my project.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1430915283' post='2765856']
Stevie Rod has some good articles on valves and valve amps and links to some good resources. They are all worth a read.

I think this is an excellent project. Has given me a few ideas although I am trying to resist feature creep, Now back to my project.
[/quote]

There are definitely some things in there that could integrate well with the boards I sent you. Personally, I'm glad that Rod didn't post that until after I tried my hand at something like a white sheet design, although I already did lift a few ideas from some of his articles that are not full on "projects" per se.

For those of you who haven't seen it, this is how my second version of the preamp design Chienmortbb is using came out, shown in one stacking configuration with the matching 700 watt power amp module:
:

Edited by Passinwind

• 1 month later...

Health problems have prevented much progress recently and so a lot of thinking has gone on and a slight layout change. I have added more heatsink. I have attached a picture of the original layout and one with the extra heatsink.

The layout adds a second heatsink and requires that the two preamp regulators move. I added the Ezra heatsink as I want to be able to use the full power of the amp and thermal management is the liting factor even with Class D,

Now everyone told you the Class D amps run cool but the truth is they run cooler but some heat is dissipated.

Compare a Class D Amp to a Class A/B. Most solid state amps used to be class A/B and the highest possible efficiency for Class A/B is approx 70%. That means 30% of input power is wasted as heat. So a 100W amp would have approx 43 watts waste as heat. In contrast a good class D amp would be over 90% efficient so our 100 watt amp wastes only 11 watts. In effect a 400 Watt Class D amp needs the same heatsink as a 100 watt Solid State amp.

My heatsink a were designed for a fan cooled 240 watt amp and although that looks like overkill, I am not using a fan although there is room for one if needed. Despite the apparent overkill on the heat sinking, the fins on all three heat sinks are lie horizontally, the least efficient way to cool an amplifier. I hope that there is enough convection and radiated to keep the amp cool but it might need fan assutance to run at full power.

Edited by Chienmortbb