Why become a member? ×

Venues, Let's Talk About Dying Music Pubs

Happy Jack

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1414608838' post='2591341']
Sounds a great player...but you can't blame kids for not having the required taste..or any taste, come to that
and that is the problem with any audience...there is no accounting for what they like and why they like it.
The problem is getting them out in any numbers to be viable....
One of the most popular bands around here are also one of the least capable but they are a live show and
people will go and see them..so much so that they sold out a 450 hall in 29 hrs at £10:00 a ticket.
Now...which ever way you skin that.... that is pretty good going for a pub standard band..
and I'd say maybe not a great pub standard band at that. But...they have something that people will buy..!!!

No justice, maybe... but there you go..!!
[/quote]

Agreed, same here. All the bands that get the big stages, big money, all the good sponsored corporate gigs are marginal musicians and as you say are the least capable.

The very good accomplished musicians here get all the scraps.

Blue

Question, would a band like mine with a 29 year old female front and lead guitarists doing 70s style blues/rock get decent crowds in your pubs if we came over to do a short pub tour. Or would we fall into the same boat as your local bands.

I was thinking cause were Yanks we might be different and interesting.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1414616732' post='2591505']
Question, would a band like mine with a 29 year old female front and lead guitarists doing 70s style blues/rock get decent crowds in your pubs if we came over to do a short pub tour. Or would we fall into the same boat as your local bands.

Blue
[/quote]
You might do OK but you couldn't expect to turn up any old pub and pack it out. But there are loads of places where you could do well, especially as you could have the novelty of being billed as 'from the USA'.

Of course you would have to hit social media heavily to promote and talk to small promoters / people who are involved in the scene and could point you at the right venues. Send me a PM if you are seriously considering it and I will talk you thru what you might need to do...

Blue
[/quote]

New york duo "Pete & J" did a small bar tour here in 2006 and loved it, so maybe you could ask them what they thought & how it was organised? I spoke with them when they played a bar near me. By a massive coincidence I literally bumped into Pete in Manny's in NYC a few weeks later.

Blue
[/quote]

Difficult to say.... people are a bit sheep like so they tend to need to know the band.
Friends of mine are trying to sell the Kirk Fletcher tour for AGES..and they seen to be doing ok
with crowds but they have to promote the hell out of it and virtually drag people out.
And that is quite a regarded Bluesman..it will be interesting to get the real story when the tour finishes..?

We have a few touring acts from France do the same sort of thing...but they only really survive in one town
for a couple of dates. Even ex name Rock guys struggle to sell tickets at £10 enough of the times.

It is a very tricky one..

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1414617646' post='2591522']
New york duo "Pete & J" did a small bar tour here in 2006 and loved it, so maybe you could ask them what they thought & how it was organised? I spoke with them when they played a bar near me. By a massive coincidence I literally bumped into Pete in Manny's in NYC a few weeks later.
[/quote]

Cool, I didn't know Manny's was still in business. I purchased my 1st Fender P bass there when I was in High School. It cost like $350.00 brand new in 1970.

Thanks

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1414617905' post='2591529']
Cool, I didn't know Manny's was still in business. I purchased my 1st Fender P bass there when I was in High School. It cost like $350.00 brand new in 1970.[/quote]

It's not now but was in its final months back then, IIRC Sam Ash from across the street bought it out. First sign it was going was they sold off the wall of autographed photos.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1414617875' post='2591528']

Difficult to say.... people are a bit sheep like so they tend to need to know the band.
Friends of mine are trying to sell the Kirk Fletcher tour for AGES..and they seen to be doing ok
with crowds but they have to promote the hell out of it and virtually drag people out.
And that is quite a regarded Bluesman..it will be interesting to get the real story when the tour finishes..?

We have a few touring acts from France do the same sort of thing...but they only really survive in one town
for a couple of dates. Even ex name Rock guys struggle to sell tickets at £10 enough of the times.

It is a very tricky one..
[/quote]
Funnily enough some friends of mine promoted a gig for Kirk Fletcher a couple of nights ago. It was a really good night and they did ok – well over a hundred people on a Monday night in a small club off the beaten track in West Yorkshire. Of course they promoted heavily on social media and did have the Fabulous Thunderbirds connection / Joe Bonamassa endorsement to help sell it.

I do know some Americans that do come over here occasionally. They will often use a UK rhythm section or backing band and will do a short run of clubs in the UK and maybe a festival then possibly a week in Holland / Belgium or wherever. They do seem to treat more as a working holiday and a way of catching up with friends & contacts on this side of the pond…

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1414623738' post='2591652']
As far as I know, Dudely and Katie would have been on that gig......Not sure of the rest of the band
and if they are on every date.
It sounds like they have had some good gigs tho
[/quote]
Yes they were, with Roger Inniss on bass. I don't know the drummer - Wes something??

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1414628400' post='2591706']
Wez is from Bromley. A good player. I'm playing with him on Friday.
[/quote]

That is pretty local.... might check him out next time he is around.
Will be cheaper than shipping in from Chertsey... :lol: :lol: hopefully.

A guy I know has been playing in Germany, Holland, Belgium etc for years doing the blues/rock circuit. He says it's the only way he can make a living. When he comes back to England he says he's really only playing for expenses and a bit of beer money. Sad indictment of how it is these days.