Why become a member? ×

NBD: Modulus Flea 4

40hz

Hi all

Finally dragged myself away from it to post a little overview of my experiences with it so far!

After years of searching (and financial situation allowing) I finally got my hands on a Flea. Always adored the tone Flea gets with this instrument (live and recorded) and was always my personal holy grail of tone so to speak. The graphite neck providing that insane articulation and note attack. I was curious to find out what it's actually like in the flesh. A 160 Mile trip to North London from sunny Oxfordshire later, and it was mine.

It's 2005 with the Seymour Duncan and Aguilar OBP-1

[b][u]First impressions[/u][/b]

- In black it's actually a classy looking bass. Much prefer it in the sombre colours to the sparkle finishes (as cool as they are in their own way)
- Fit and finish are impeccable.
- The carbon fibre finish (thousand ladies dancing?) on the neck is mesmerizing!

[b][u]Playability[/u][/b]
- Super smooth neck with a beautifully playable profile, easy to play fast on.
- Nicely balanced weight-wise. Good centre of gravity on the strap.
- Heavier than i thought it would be. Heavier than my Jazz Bass
- Nice little detent on the Seymour duncan pickup for thumb placement!

[u][b]Sound[/b][/u]
- Absolutely unreal note separation. Instant attack and punch.
- The best string to string balance i've so far experienced in 10 years of playing.
- Growl in spades.
- Uncanny ability thats probably impressed me most, of sitting absolutely perfectly in the mix. Second only to a p-bass. This bass just seems to find that sonic space for itself and just always sounds 'right'
- Of course slaps and pops like a hammer.

[b][u]Negative points[/u][/b]

After nearly a week with it i can't say there are many, The poly finish on the neck is a little sticky at times and also it can be a bit harsh sounding unless you keep on top of your eq.

In summary, it's great! Now back to playing!!

Edited by 40hz