Why become a member? ×

Electric shocks from my bass

marlborored

Anyone who can shed any light on this will be rewarded with a good bag of some description.

Basically, whenever I play my bass at home when reading tabs off my macbook, desktop or iPad or am simply using one of the said devices to play music from to play along with I have this horrible issue. If one of my hands is touching the strings of my bass and then other hand touches any metal part of a laptop or iPad I get a relatively small, but large enough to be uncomfortable and make me jerk my hand away from the bass or laptop. I get the shock in whichever hand touches either the bass or electronic device last. In short; if I am touching the strings of my bass and any metal part of an electronic device at the same time I get a shock.

I am absolutely mystified by this! I don't think it is specific to any of basses or amps as I am getting the same problem which either of my basses and through any of the 3 amps I own or any combination of amp/bass. What is even odder is that the laptop or iPad does not have to be plugged into any power, I was getting a shock off my iPad yesterday when it was just plugged into a pair of crappy desktop speakers and not plugged into charge or anything like that. Anyone who has any idea why this is happening please shout up because it is really killing the enjoyment of playing bass at home and learning new songs as I'm always having to check every single movement I make to not get a shock, basically it doesn't provide a very encouraging or relaxing practicing environment. :(

Apologies for the long post.

I don't know man... My physics and electronics knowledge is pretty ropey but it's almost as if the shock builds up? Like I can keep my hands on the strings and the iPad/laptop but only for about 5 seconds maximum as that's when it becomes too painful but it seems like as long as my hands are touching both the instrument and the device the electric charge going up my arm seems to get stronger and stronger and more painful. Really weird. Tried setting up the exact same scenario with my dad the other day and he didn't feel a thing which seems even more weird...

I assume your bass is plugged into an amp.

Get your amp checked over for a bad earth. Sounds like the earth on your bass is 'floating up' and when you touch something you're grounding it.

I would avoid using it until you've solved it as it could be potentially fatal, just because you're not dead yet, doesn't mean that there isn't a serious fault.

[quote name='marlborored' timestamp='1414536003' post='2590518']
...it's almost as if the shock builds up? Like I can keep my hands on the strings and the iPad/laptop but only for about 5 seconds maximum as that's when it becomes too painful but it seems like as long as my hands are touching both the instrument and the device the electric charge going up my arm seems to get stronger and stronger and more painful.
[/quote]

In that case I'd agree with TimR (for once) and advise you get in checked out. You can't be too careful with electricity.

If it's happening with all three amps then you want to check the wall socket, extension lead (if used) and mains lead (if shared for all three amps).

Something like this would do:

http://www.websparky.co.uk/acatalog/Metrel-Tek-989-13-Amp-Socket-Tester-with-Buzzer-TEK989.html?gclid=CP_6ssi-0MECFQMIwwod6KEAlA

[quote name='marlborored' timestamp='1414538245' post='2590556']
Okay guys thanks, you're probably right about not using the equipment; the weird thing is though the same thing happens with all 3 of my amps... Cheers though guys :)
[/quote]

If you have more than one bass does it do the same with them? If you haven't borrow one & check. Could be a bad or missing earth on the bass but as has been said - don't guess with electrickery. It does sound more like static but sweaty hands can enhance that in a gig scenario.

Most decent DIY or electrical shops sell earth testing plugs they should be about a fiver.

I had similar problem and it was caused by faulty earth connection in wall socket which will affect all other sockets on the same ring main

http://www.groundology.co.uk/earthing/accessories

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1414568659' post='2590661']
Get your mains sockets checked as a priority! If in any doubt consult a qualified electrician
[/quote]
+1 and that's a big one too! sounds like some kind of earth fault to me too. As suggested get a socket tester, worth getting yourself a plug RCD too and only plug your gear in via that no matter where you are.

This does sound like an earth fault on the house socket, could just be the earth has snapped off the back of the outlet but it needs checking properly as it could be a problem with the incoming supply too, those plug in jobs are ok but as long as there is a tiny earth the earth ok light will illuminate, a sparky shouldn't charge you more than twenty quid to test it with a proper earth fault loop impedance tester and fix the fault if is just broken off somewhere obvious.

Another vote for a problem with the house wiring - I'd get an electrican in to have a look.

In a house I used to live in there was about a similar effect when I touched the strngs on my bass. Turns out there was ~30v potential between the strings of the bass and the earth on the amp as the pedals were plugged into sockets on side of the room and the amp into the other side.

Bear in mind that the casing of i-devices can float around true earth as well as (as far as I understand it) swicthed-mode PSUs have no galvanic connection to grounded earth.

My wife says she can feel the PD from her ipad if she's reading and touches another earth as a tingle.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1414581238' post='2590864']

Bear in mind that the casing of i-devices can float around true earth as well as (as far as I understand it) swicthed-mode PSUs have no galvanic connection to grounded earth.

[/quote]

We had something similar with a drum machine. When the guitarist used the mike everything was ok. As soon as we plugged the drum machine in he started getting shocks.

It was the 24v power supply pulling the ground up. Someone had disconnected the earth at the mains plug of the PA. It used to be common practice amongst keyboard players to eliminate ground loop hum.

So technically it was a 24v shock. Not fatal unless you hold on to it for a few hours.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1414581089' post='2590862']
Its funny, I get this problem with my Squire Stratocaster. Its doesnt happen with any other guitar or instrument.

Is that the guitar having a grounding problem?
[/quote]

Probably more likely that the guitar has a better ground than the other instruments.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1414581089' post='2590862']
Its funny, I get this problem with my Squire Stratocaster. Its doesnt happen with any other guitar or instrument.

Is that the guitar having a grounding problem?
[/quote]
Sounds like the earth on your strat is fine, though it does indicate a problem with your other gear that needs looking at pronto.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1414581238' post='2590864']
Another vote for a problem with the house wiring - I'd get an electrican in to have a look.

In a house I used to live in there was about a similar effect when I touched the strngs on my bass. Turns out there was ~30v potential between the strings of the bass and the earth on the amp as the pedals were plugged into sockets on side of the room and the amp into the other side.

My wife says she can feel the PD from her ipad if she's reading and touches another earth as a tingle.
[/quote]

Yep I had this with my Dell Latitude, and the Net was full of complaints about it. Of course Dell insisted that it wasn't a problem and refused to do anything. I bought a replacement PSU of the net (with Earth) and the problem disappeared.

[quote name='marlborored' timestamp='1414590697' post='2591029']
Thanks for the replies everyone, at least it doesn't look like I'm the only one who's experienced this sort of problem. And BILL POSTERS, it's a more of a vibration, that seems to build in strength the longer I allow myself to touch both the strings and the device.
[/quote]

Perhaps if you hold it long enough you will get some sort of super powers!

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1414592009' post='2591048']
Perhaps if you hold it long enough you will get some sort of super powers!
[/quote]

Note for the younger readers...

Do not try this at home, unsupervised. It is more than likely that [i]real [/i]superpowers will [i]not [/i]be developed; rather a sustained injury, a hospital stay and possibly even snuffing it are far more probable outcomes.

Note to those already doted with superpowers...

Be certain that your gifts are, in fact, able to protect you from the potential fatality implied here. There is no guarantee that sticking to the ceiling or being good at surfing are adequate; you may fry like the rest of us, visitors from the planet Krypton maybe excepted (but only maybe...)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1414594284' post='2591094']
Do not try this at home, unsupervised. It is more than likely that [i]real [/i]superpowers will [i]not [/i]be developed; rather a sustained injury, a hospital stay and possibly even snuffing it are far more probable outcomes.
[/quote]

Yes. I was initially delighted when bitten by a radioactive spider, but all that happened was I got cancer.
All that Spiderman stuff is just a load of bullplop. I think it's made up.

[quote name='marlborored' timestamp='1414590697' post='2591029']
Thanks for the replies everyone, at least it doesn't look like I'm the only one who's experienced this sort of problem. And BILL POSTERS, it's a more of a vibration, that seems to build in strength the longer I allow myself to touch both the strings and the device.
[/quote]

Don't worry too much about that, it's just your insides boiling. Probably.