Why become a member? ×

"Here we are with the world in the state it is in, and we’ve got One Direction." Roger Daltry

xilddx

[quote name='KingPrawn' timestamp='1414566849' post='2590649']
Stop trying to be hip and trendy Mr D. Is he not the man who championed the well known angst singer Chesney Hawkes!!
[/quote]

Hi KP - sorry to derail the thread, but did you get my PM about the Spector?
If not, please email me [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] so I know where I stand.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1414600688' post='2591201']...the Cuban Missile Crisis ...[/quote]

I saw them at Kingston Poly, in '73. Great night, ending with their customary juggling with live pigs. Some escaped, but were held at bay in the corner of the hall. How we laughed..! B)

Edited by Dad3353

I've seen some of these modern so-called "pop stars" on the telly - they're an utter disgrace. Not only could I hear every word they were singing, but I could quite easily tell the boys from the girls. It would never have happened in my day, I can tell you. A spell in a hippy commune is what they need.

Yours disgusted etc etc.

I dunno. I have little respect for these boy bands like One Direction. Ok, they can sing, but the real talent is always behind the scenes. Billy Bragg had a lot to say politically, but it was just crap. The Specails. I loved them, but i didn`t give a toss what they were singing about. The music and lyrics were nothing more than just fits in with the music. Thin Lizzy were a good band, but the lyrics were awful. There is going to be a jail break somewhere in this town? How many towns have multiple jails?Boys are Back in Town. Dreadful lyrics, but the song sounded ok. I just don`t rate boy bands as their talent is questionable, but the kids love em, so who am i too criticise. However Pete Townsend with The Who has been selling out tours for 50 years, so i will give him the respect he deserves

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414573747' post='2590728']
I've read the article again, and can't see where she says this? She quotes RD saying it, and then goes on to say why he's talking bollocks.
[/quote][quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414573747' post='2590728']
I've read the article again, and can't see where she says this? She quotes RD saying it, and then goes on to say why he's talking bollocks.
[/quote]I didn't mean she did. I said she was talking as much as Daltrey. The bollocks Daltrey was talking was about music needing angst and purpose.

Rog used to be with it, then they changed what "it" was. Now he hasn't got a clue what "it" is but it's wrong and not as good as it used to be

A bit of a derailment but I was watching an episode of TotP from the 60s or something and during it I was thinking that most of the bands on it wouldn't have made it today as there were some right old tar boilers and everyone has to be beautiful now.

I remember hearing Roger Daltrey defend Mcfly a few years back, saying something like the Who where a teeny bopper band when they started.

He had it in for Disco, and now 1D, but as Mick Jagger said, theres always been pretty boys with nice haircuts, its not new, just perhaps more dominant that it was, the charts used to be vary varied.

Just for the record, I like McFly

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1414686956' post='2592272']
I remember hearing Roger Daltrey defend Mcfly a few years back, saying something like the Who where a teeny bopper band when they started.

He had it in for Disco, and now 1D, but as Mick Jagger said, theres always been pretty boys with nice haircuts, its not new, just perhaps more dominant that it was, the charts used to be vary varied.

Just for the record, I like McFly
[/quote]

Haha, I wonder why he was defending McFly ..

(I agree, McFly were good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a447s6IfJ5Q

As much as I love The Who, I can't think of them playing My Generation these days without flashing back to the Spitting Image take on the song: "People try to put us down, just because we're still around". :D :P

There was loads of angsty music back in the 60s, right beside the insipid pretty boy (or pretty girl) pop songs. Same with the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and - surprise surprise - 10s. Nothing's changed and I seriously doubt it ever will, despite Simon Cowell's best efforts. Hell, just look at what happened a few years ago when RATM became the Xmas no. 1 single!

Angst/movements/rebellion comes & goes. Look at how music had become when Brit-pop turned up. Suddenly people playing guitars, bands playing live were back in fashion again. I can see what RD is on about but surely he`s been around long enough to realise this. Pop-machine gets pushed out of the way by real live bands who get pushed out of the way by pop-machine, it`s a never ending cycle.

For me music has always been about escape. There's great big place for political music, and I like a lot of it. Some of the protest musicians even know what the f*** they are talking about. But I love the escape trajectory I get from music. Music should not just be about angst, it should also be about celebration.

Oranges and apples. Some music is for expressing angst, some is for expressing clearasil. My only concern (which I spend at least a second thinking about ever year) is that people who like liddy bands don't seem to grow out of it anymore. My office is chock full of 'old enough to know better/should have grown out of it by now' Robbie Williams fans. All a bit tragic, really.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1414713207' post='2592697']
For me music has always been about escape. There's great big place for political music, and I like a lot of it. Some of the protest musicians even know what the f*** they are talking about. But I love the escape trajectory I get from music. Music should not just be about angst, it should also be about celebration.
[/quote]

Yep, that's the wonderful thing about music - it can be all things to all people.

Personally, I'm drawn more to the fun and celebratory side of it, rather than Leonard Cohen type music-to-cut-your-wrists-to dirges, but each to their own.

I was 15 in 1960 and loved the music, yeah there was a lot of cheesy stuff in there but the 60's bands were the pioneers of rock and pop and you had to be there to appreciate how revolutionary it was, I was brought up as a kid in the 50's with a diet of Mario Lanza, Michael Holliday and other such notables.

When young people today listen to 60's stuff out of context it can sound a bit rough but look at todays technology and what we had then and it makes a bit more sense.

Songs like spencer davis and gimme some good lovin' and pinball wizard sounded amazing after mario lanza.

Just my thoughts.

Let us examine the bare bones of Mr Daltrey's contention:

* That the world is in a sh*t state

* That mainstream popular music at one time raged against global sh*ttiness

* That mainstream popular music [i]no longer[/i] rages against global sh*ttiness

* An example of a 'popular, not raging against global sh*ttiness' musical ensemble is One Direction

All pretty much true facts, them.

By contrast the author of the opinion piece re-writes Mr Daltrey's contention, tangentially addressing the entirely unvoiced issue of whether there has been any 'good' music since 1974, instancing as a rebuttal:

[i]New Wave, Grunge, Michael Jackson’s entire solo career, Radiohead, Pulp, Bjork, Beyoncé, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, St Vincent, Prince[/i]

I imagine that - in seeking inspiration - the op-ed author Ms Lindy West merely turned her head to scan the rows of compilation CD's stacked on her living room shelf before enumerating the quintessential list of 'music for girls of a homely appearance who don't really like music and who frequently spend their evenings sobbing into a Paddington Bear pillowcase'.

The acid test is very simple: with whom would one prefer to spend an evening sinking a few beers and talking about music:

i) Roger Daltrey - or (ii) Lindy West, op-ed writer for the Guardian?

I think the answer is pretty clear.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1414879465' post='2594382']
Let us examine the bare bones of Mr Daltrey's contention:

* That the world is in a sh*t state

* That mainstream popular music at one time raged against global sh*ttiness

* That mainstream popular music [i]no longer[/i] rages against global sh*ttiness

* An example of a 'popular, not raging against global sh*ttiness' musical ensemble is One Direction

All pretty much true facts, them.

By contrast the author of the opinion piece re-writes Mr Daltrey's contention, tangentially addressing the entirely unvoiced issue of whether there has been any 'good' music since 1974, instancing as a rebuttal:

[i]New Wave, Grunge, Michael Jackson’s entire solo career, Radiohead, Pulp, Bjork, Beyoncé, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, St Vincent, Prince[/i]

I imagine that - in seeking inspiration - the op-ed author Ms Lindy West merely turned her head to scan the rows of compilation CD's stacked on her living room shelf before enumerating the quintessential list of 'music for girls of a homely appearance who don't really like music and who frequently spend their evenings sobbing into a Paddington Bear pillowcase'.

The acid test is very simple: with whom would one prefer to spend an evening sinking a few beers and talking about music:

i) Roger Daltrey - or (ii) Lindy West, op-ed writer for the Guardian?

I think the answer is pretty clear.
[/quote]

Nope, answer iii) Skankdelvar. ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1414887012' post='2594470']
It's not in such a sh*tty state as it was when Mr Daltry was growing up just after WW2.
[/quote]
Is that talking from personal experience?

If you were then it's always nice to share experiences with a fellow ration book holder.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1414885218' post='2594451']
I think you'll find that the world has always been in a sh*t state.
[/quote]

My summary of Mr Daltrey's observation in no way reflects my personal perception of such global conditions as may obtain either to the detriment or to the benefit of all (or some) peoples or individuals*.

[size=2]* Errors and omissions excepted; alternative perceptions may be substituted if display items are unavailable at time of purchase; transient ghastliness not included; no remorse, no retreat, no refunds. [/size]

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1414882466' post='2594426']
Nope, answer iii) Skankdelvar. ;)
[/quote]

Get yer coat Skank, you've pulled.

Rog, new single out (are there still singles?) bit of mild controversy, people talking on thousands of different forums.
Subconscious re establishing of Rog/The Who.

Who'd have thought it :mellow:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1414893645' post='2594498']
My summary of Mr Daltrey's observation in no way reflects my personal perception of such global conditions as may obtain either to the detriment or to the benefit of all (or some) peoples or individuals*.

[size=2]* Errors and omissions excepted; alternative perceptions may be substituted if display items are unavailable at time of purchase; transient ghastliness not included; no remorse, no retreat, no refunds. [/size]
[/quote]
in that case please feel free to pass on my views to Mr Daltrey if you ever see him.

I would do this myself but my hobbies do not include either watching old rock stars from yesteryear prance about on stage or trout fishing so it's unlikely our paths will ever cross. :)