Why become a member? ×

"Here we are with the world in the state it is in, and we’ve got One Direction." Roger Daltry

xilddx

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1414539881' post='2590576']
I think the 'more on this story' link was pretty much spot on . . . .

[url="http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/28/old-musicians-kids-the-who-roger-daltrey-one-direction-generation"]http://www.theguardi...tion-generation[/url]
[/quote]

Pseudo intellectual pretentious bollox, if you ask me. Which you didn't ;)

Maybe he ought to reflect on 'My Generation'... :rolleyes:

Yes, the world is in a bit of a state, but the reality is... it always is.

Walking around listening to 'serious' music isn't going to change that and if people get pleasure out of One Direction's brand of jolliness then so be it.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a borrowed barge pole, but then I always was a miserable b*st*rd. ;)

[url="http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/28/old-musicians-kids-the-who-roger-daltrey-one-direction-generation"]http://www.theguardi...tion-generation[/url]
[/quote]

I really think this could be argued either way.
As someone in my early 30s i feel we are losing good things that the past had.
But i can also say we are gaining other good things too.

In terms of music there was plenty of crap in the past and there will be more in the future "same as it ever was". I do fear the decline of instrument playing however.

What's the difference between 1 direction, the Monkees, the bay city rollers, any number of bands from the 1980's, take that in the 90's, and various bands from contemporary times, nothing !

They all have their place in the history of pop music.

Personally I've never seen the fascination with the who.

:)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/28/old-musicians-kids-the-who-roger-daltrey-one-direction-generation
[/quote]

That's a pretty good retort to RD's overgeneralised, grumpy-old-man comments.
I do think that the accusations of mysogeny were a bit of a stretch though; RD simply cherrypicked One Direction as an example of manufactured pop which is phenomenally and incoherently (to RD at least) popular - no intended condescension to girls intended IMO.

My first thoughts when reading the OP article are that if the dude doesn't like what he sees on MTV, look at the huge number of smaller artists online. Spend an hour on Spotify, starting with something you like, then check out other acts that have been put on a playlist with them and make note of anything you like for further investigation. Look on their label and see what else is there etc. Before long, you've discovered a wealth of angst and substance, alive and well.

As for movements? Well, as the article that FF linked to said, there have been plenty - maybe the ageing rocker only sees the type that are to his taste, which are from a different era.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1414572694' post='2590715']
That she is talking as much bollocks as Daltrey. Music doesn't have to have angst and purpose to be valid.
[/quote]

I've read the article again, and can't see where she says this? She quotes RD saying it, and then goes on to say why he's talking bollocks.

Whilst not necessarily agreeing with all Daltry has to say it gives me some comfort that he is taking that stance. There is something usually rather phoney, if not downright creepy, about older people desperately keeping up with trends being set by kids a generation or two younger than they are.

I have sympathy with Daltreys argument.
Yes you can compare the sugary bollox from the 60s and 70s to One direction/Cowell inc,that stuff is always there for the children or party goers,but lately I struggle to find those artists who do express political opinions, or controversial attitudes.
Maybe it's rose tinted glasses but all the people I listened to in the 80s had something to say other than about sex or materialism.
You may point at hip hop and say there you go, but I don't believe hip hop has been relevant for 20 years and wasn't particularly relevant to me either.
So, Morrissey, Oasis,John Lydon, rage against the machine,Trent Rez or Henry Rollins,love em or hate em, you have an opinion, on their opinions.
What about Coldplay or Kings of Leon?
Is it a fashion thing?
Is having an "opinion" unfashionable?

Let's have a Mozzer quote,
"no,it's just more lock jawed pop stars thicker than pigshit,nothing to convey...they're so scared to show intelligence,it might smear their lovely career"

[font=Helvetica][size=3]I almost feel a bit sorry for him. It’s as though he’s reached a point in life where the world he once stood astride of no longer makes sense. But instead of making an effort to find out what’s going on, he just panics and clings desperately to the cosy familiarity of the past.[/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]“It’s not like it was in our day… call this music?”[/i] And so on. It happens to so many people; I suppose that’s why it’s become one of the big stereotypes of getting old: believing that your own generation was the roughest and toughest.[/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]I can assure Mr Daltry that the youth of today - at least those I’ve rubbed sweaty shoulders with recently at gigs and warehouse parties in Manchester - give even less of a feck about One Direction than he does. They’re quite happily filling their heads with the sort of unmusical sounds that rarely get aired during the safety of daylight hours. They have plenty to say about politics and world affairs. Probably a great deal more than was being said during Mr Daltry’s hey day.[/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]So fear not, Mr D. The youth are still fighting the good fight. And their soundtrack is just as relevant to them today as yours was to your own generation, even though it probably sounds quite alien to your ears. And damn right it should too.[/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]But all things considered, it’s a story about someone bemoaning young people in the [i]Mail on Sunday.[/i] Quelle surprise. I imagine that on the opposite page was an advert for sensible-looking gents country shirts, or perhaps velcro-fastening shoes.[/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]PS: is he [i]really[/i] this particular shade of orange? Quite odd. Looks suspiciously like he's been hitting the ol' Heinz tomato soup a little too hard.[/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][/size][/font]

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1414541723' post='2590589']Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a borrowed barge pole, [i]but then I always was a miserable b*st*rd.[/i] ;)[/quote]

..........hundreds of BCers died in the rush to refute this statement......erm..........erm........... :huh: ........... :P