Why become a member? ×

Serious Question To Those Who Use A Full Stack

MindGoneBlank

Hi Guys,

I've got a dilemma and I need your help. Ever since I started playing bass, I've always wanted a full stack for no reason other than they're cool! But there's a massive difference between childhood dreams and adult reality!

I run a single 4x10 and almost always go through the PA rendering the cabinet no more than an on-stage monitor. And, most of the time, the soundman is telling me to turn down so as not to interfere with the front-of-house sound. Frankly, I could play most of our gigs with a 1x10 of even no amp at all!

On the rare occasions when I play without going through the PA, the single 4x10 is more than enough to keep up with the drummer and guitarist. My guitarist runs a 1x12" 50W (valve) combo so my rig already dwarfs his.

Here's the thing....I've been offered a silly, silly deal on a matching 4x10 so I could finally realise my childhood dreams! BUT, when would I ever use it?!! Having to take two cabs to a gig sounds like hard work. If I have PA support, the soundman will have a heart attack when he sees me pitch up with a full stack. Most pub landlords would also have a heart attack. And so would my bandmates!

So, other than simply using the full stack at home as my practice amp (!!!) can anyone help me justify this purchase? To those who use a full stack (2 x 410's, 1 x 410 with 1 x 115, 2 x 212's, 1 x 810 etc), when do you use it and how loud do you go?!!

Cheers!

:-)

Guest monsterthompson

I had a Mesa M6 on a PH212 and a PH115 stack for a while. It was stupid loud and I was regularly asked to turn down. Often I was pulled out of the PA. The bad news is that if the sound guy can't control the mix, your awesome stage sound doesn't always equate to good house sound. It doesn't always mean great things if the sound guy has control AND a bad ear ;) I've also talked to touring pros, and frequently they say that massive stage volume is no good; it blows out your ability to hear the mix. My most recent project ran no amps, but only direct boxes to the PA and it was great. I won't tell you that moving massive air isn't fun, but it does tend toward guitar-esque thinking.

You're right about the carting around and taking up stage space, but it's not a question of volume. [i]You [/i]decide the volume with the volume control, however big the stack; one doesn't have to turn it up louder just because a cab has been added. Quite the opposite, I would guess, as you'll hear more from the upper cab, and probably turn down, even..! For looks and 'perzazz', use all the cabs you want. If the extra one is not suitable for any reason, it can stay in the truck, can't it..?
Apparently, everyone these days needs a 'spare' of everything, too. Now's your chance of having a 'spare' cab. What's not to like..? B)

Disclaimer : when (not if; when...) you get tired of humping excess baggage around, you can always sell it on. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

I'm ashamed to say I've only gigged my full stack a handful of times but on those occasions - as has been said above - just because it [i]will [/i]demolish a wall doesnt mean It [i]has[/i] to. Put simply, I used it as loud as it needed to be albeit nowhere near it's full capability. Never have I needed it flat out.. But it's nice to know it's there a bit like a fast motorbike! :D

If it's venue appropriate I'll use a full stack.

For the type of music I play, a full stack just ticking over has a degree of clarity than a combo struggling to keep up simply doesn't.
It also brings the top cab up to a height where I can hear what I'm doing without having to rely on the monitor mix.

Obviously, a Sunday lunchtime acoustic gig in Toad and Aardvark* isn't what I'd call 'appropriate'. :)

*Other imaginary watering holes are available but generally contain nuts.

The last stack I owned was a 100w Hiwatt through 2 412 cabs, in 1973.

The rig I used a few years ago on some stunningly loud Led Zeppelin gigs was 650 watts of Thunderfunk going through 2 Bergantino AE210 cabs.

These days big just means big.

A second cab won't take up any extra usable space, only vertical, it will have the same footprint. And, as has been said, the bottom cab will bring the top cab up to ear level, so you won't need to turn it up so far to hear yourself.

Also, I don't know what your home arrangement is, but because my music room is upstairs, if I was in a band again I would find it useful to be able to keep a cab downstairs, maybe even in the garage with a cover on, making it easier to move. But I would still be able to use both cabs should I feel a venue could take it.

I use a 212 and 210 when the stage is big enough... and I also suspect the P.A and mons will be 'underspecced'.
I can carry any size rig from 1x112 to 212 plus 2x210's ..

Of course, you don't have to turn it right up but I use it to be able to cope with the onstage sound levels.
If the P.A can handle what I need on stage, then I needn't have lugged it there, but for most of the gigs I do, this
is a huge variable.
The problem isn't the size so much, it is how you use it.

the top cab being at ear level does mean you won't have that annoying situation of the audience saying the bass is really loud and you're struggling to hear yourself and it'll be a good spare. however, you will look like a very mismatched band if your guitarist has a teeny cab and you're rocking 2 4X10s. maybe decide what is appropriate before going to the gig and the pub landlord instantly deciding not to have you back because you look LOOOOOUUUUUUD!!!

A stack can be justified with a low power valve head - for example a Bassman 135. You'll get decent frequency response at reasonable volume levels. I used my Burman 140w with an ampeg 4x10 and 1x15 stack and it easily kept up with guitar through a 50w valve combo.

But for anything above 200w its total over kill for all the reasons stated above.

I used to use two 4x10's because my amp head 'prefers' a 4 ohm load. As has already been said the volume control does exactly that!
I used to get told to turn down by our regular sound guy as his eyes told him I must have been loud. During one sound check I turned the volume on bass off and played along, he still asked me to turn down until I explained that I was off and what he was hearing was the 100w Marshall 4x12 equipped guitard stood next to me.
Now I use a 6x10 cab and it ticks all the boxes i.e. 4 ohm load, single cab, loud enough for the biggest stages, looks 'right' against two 4x12 equipped guitards.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1414577368' post='2590794']
During one sound check I turned the volume on bass off and played along, he still asked me to turn down until I explained that I was off and what he was hearing was the 100w Marshall 4x12 equipped guitard stood next to me.
[/quote]

Haha, like it

It's funny how when you start out most people have a combo and jam with mates, then comes the rehearsal room with the 8x10 and we run them flat out in a small space, then pub gigs come along and the combo goes for a 4x10, that also does the small and medium sized music venues, then when you play a full size big stage you could easily use the combo micd up, put yourself through the monitors from one end of the stage to the other and play at the lowest volume ever yet hear what everyone is doing, once you get bigger than that you get two massive stacks to make the next generation think that is what they will need and at the same time you wear in ears!

That said f*** it, buy it :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Is there any law that says you have to actually have both cabs plugged in..? If you take both but only power one up, you get the look you've always wanted without the volume problems. :D If anyone tells you you're just being a complete poser, tell 'em it's a spare.
I have two 1x15s. 90% of the time I gig with just one and that's easily enough; I only use both when the PA is vocals-only, or for big venues (as in 1000+ capacity) with large stages. As others have said above, I'd rather have a big rig ticking over than a smaller one yelling its nads off.
Justification? If we had to justify all the kit we have, we'd hardly have anything. If you want it, and most of all can comfortably afford it without plunging into debt, then just do it. Why not? :)

Edited by UglyDog

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1414587877' post='2590978']
Justification? If we had to justify all the kit we have, we'd hardly have anything. If you want it, and most of all can comfortably afford it without plunging into debt, then just do it. Why not? :)
[/quote]

I really can't argue with that :D

Having your refreshments at a comfortable height between songs is essential. Having to bend down to reach your drink could cause injury. Adding the second cab will elevate the drink to a more comfortable height, thus avoiding injury.

Edited by zero9

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414577553' post='2590798']
Haha, like it
[/quote] there is some truth to that. while there is a volume knob, some folks can hear with their eyes.

My old Trace V4 and 810 was goodly both asthetically and sonically.. And of course my old 600 SMX, 410 and 115 was pretty devastating too!

In reality there's never been a gig that I've done that required more than my old 4808 V-Type combo or current Twin Valve setup..

My usual set up is a Hartke LH500 through a modded Hartke VX115. I also have a stock VX cab, bought really cheaply, as back up. It rarely gets used but on occasion I've taken both cabs to a gig. Total overkill I'll admit but for pose value it's hard to beat. And it reminds the guitar player who's boss.