Why become a member? ×

Serious Question To Those Who Use A Full Stack

MindGoneBlank

It's only money. If you: do not like/feel the need/get told off by sound engineer etc you can always move it on. With advancing years I am erring towards smaller kit these days. My Acoustic 301 & Hiwatt custom 200 / Marshall VBA & 2 x 15 days are over. Many years ago I used Marshall valve head with Marshall 4x15 but that is a best forgotten excess of youth. Enjoy big kit while you can, smaller kit may come :)

Edited by 3below

It's nearly 20 years since I used a 'stack' (Trace 2103H on top of an 1153 powered by an AH150) and TBH, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Yes, it looked amazing on stage, but I remember (even as a 20 year old) it being a ball ache to lug around. If your chiropractor, significant other, and finances have no sensible objections then go for it. I'm currently on the single 4x10 wagon and it's got more than enough poke to keep up with a metal drummer and 2 guitarists with 100W valve stacks and 4x12s.

For videos and suchlike I'll probably hire in another cab to perpetuate the myth that we all need a massive stack, but in reality when we were recording new material last week I didn't even use it… :blush:

Edit: Guitarists use 4x[b]12[/b] cabinets, not tens...

Edited by paul_5

I run a Genz Shuttle 9.2 through 2 Barefaced Big Baby 2 cabs at almost every gig from big halls to smaller pubs.

In theory its more than most would ever need anywhere - in practice you can use it in all sorts of different ways.

I could easily get by with just 1 of the cabs at most gigs but find having a cab at ear level is really useful - i can actually play much quieter and hear myself if i need to. If its a boomy floor gig you can run the top cab alone to stop the place shaking itself apart and tighten the sound up and its also useful if its a small stage and you're stood right in front of the cab. And conversely if its a big enough gig its great to stand with your back at the stack and actually feel the sound hitting you (rather than just your ankles...)

Its also useful just to have a backup - not that ive ever heard of a Barefaced going pop at a gig. You should have a plan B for everything in my opinion.

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1414679407' post='2592172']
Do it. You'll never know if you don't. You can always go back if it's not for you.
[/quote] Regret the things you did, not the things you didn't do :)

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I guess my head was hoping you would give me a similar reply to what my wife would say! I thought there might be at least a few detractors telling me what an idiot I was for even considering it! Silly me, asking on a bass forum! My heart fully agrees with you and thinks it just has to be done. Totally unnecessary, but so what. So, you've tipped me over the edge and the full stack shall be born. Greatest practice amp there's ever been!

Cheers!

my terror 1000 and ashdown 810 are total overkill! however the sound is amazing, as has been said no need to turn up loud just because i can.

ive been in a few smaller venues where sound men have seen the rig and start to kick of before you have even plugged in! so there is that to deal with but it sounds to good to not do it!

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1414653834' post='2591748']
But.... if all those amps are just made of cardboard.... how can the audience hear what that dude is playing??? :sorry: :i-m_so_happy:
[/quote]

They don't need to; there's guitars and bass drums filling the bass spot. He only has to look cool. It's rock. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

Go for gold!!! Get the biggest, meanest rig you can - as long as transport isn't an issue. :)
I have a few big full stack set ups. 8x10's are great - really love my Mesa. The Ampeg 610hlf is a great compromise - does the job, looks the part and easier to shift about.
For sheer hair metal, fake codpiece ego inflation, nothing beats the Marshall VBA 400 atop two matching VBC 4x12's (even better when it all arrives at the venue in flight cases!) sheer overkill!!! But there is no better way to move air and make all the ladies love the low end!!!😝

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1414547949' post='2590613']
...a full stack just ticking over has a degree of clarity than a combo struggling to keep up simply doesn't.
It also brings the top cab up to a height where I can hear what I'm doing without having to rely on the monitor mix....
[/quote]

This for me too but think of your back in this decision. Stacking 4x10's is no mean feat on your own.

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1414836374' post='2593756']
Get it, play with it, smile, then move it on.... that's one ticked off the bucket list then.....
[/quote]Above all else this was my thinking. Should have the second cab this week. I'll set it up, plug in and you should all be able to hear me from wherever you are in the country!

I want my stack to be able to handle any room's acoustics I play in thus it should be capable of moving some serious air. Pushing a cab to the limit will make it sound crap so have as much headroom as you can tbh.
A 2x15" is my current mainstay but two 4x10's will make you more flexible.
I just happen to prefer 15" speakers to 10" ones as they sound way different in the midrange frequencies. Otherwise there would be a 6x10 or two 4x10's.

So yes there is a reason to go for owning two 4x10's.

I can't think of anything worse than owning two 4x10s. 8x10" speakers? Eugh.
If there's a monitoring issue then angle your can up at yourself (plenty of gadgets for that).
My 'full stack' is a 1x15 & a 1x12 and I bet I can get as 'loud' as two 4x10s.
Actually I lie, the above config is what I use week in, week out.....my FULLfull stack is two 15" cabs....very rarely get to use it, that's proper tone with a P-bass though.

If I was made to own a 4x10, I'd perhaps consider a 2x10 (eugh) or a 2x12 to sit on it.
Unless your 4x10s are super lightweight, good luck not getting bored with 2 of them every gig ;)

Si

My full stack is the three cabs listed in my signature; it's never been gigged!

My rehearsal rig is a 1x12
My go too gig rig I is 2 x 1x12 as they're stored in front of the 2x12 in my spare room.

The master volume on my amp never gets past 10 o'clock and that's in a very loud rock band with a very heavy hitting drummer.

I dream of playing a venue big enough to justify taking the full rig!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've only gone and done it! Pics of my new 'practice amp' as requested here:

[url=http://postimg.org/image/6yjc8v3g7/][/url]

[url=http://postimg.org/image/wst4yn3g7/][/url]

I've only had a chance to try it at low volume for about 2 minutes. I've gotta say it definitely sounds different (better!) than a single cab. I'm not sure how long the honeymoon period will be, but I've got a smile on my face just looking at it!

My bandmates don't yet know about the second cab. I can't wait for the next band practice!

As has been said in this thread, forget trying to justify it......JFDI as Nike say!