Why become a member? ×

Where/How To Get Gigs?

AndyBob09

I've just set up a band that I hope to take on cruise ships in the new year (have just applied to a host of agents), however, before we head off to the open seas, I'd love to get a few local gigs under our belt.

Apart from the regular pub thing, where would you suggest? I'd love to get in with a few low key corporate gigs. We'd be looking more for background lounge kind of stuff, but unfortunately do not have our own PA. I just have no idea of where to start looking for gigs though. It'd kinda need to be paid too, unfortunately (£200+),

For reference, here's our promo video:

http://youtu.be/DjhZFX5MmKE

Any suggestions would be well received. Cheers!

Getting some pre-cruise gigs should be easy, not sure how to handle the PA issue. The agency should be of some help, I would think. And it wouldn't hurt to have the ladies kick up the wardrobe a couple of notches. No offense, but to me they look like teachers not entertainers.

Best of luck

Blue

Professional bookers want to know if you can cut it.... so unless you are known to them, you'll need to go through
some audition process. You either need a stellar track record to get past that or you need to convince and pass them.
You need to get out an play and be self sufficient and if you can't or don't have this ( no P.A ), then no one is likely to take a chance.

I don't think you are ready for cruises, tbh, on the 'evidence of your show reel'... so I think you need a creditable residency
to add to your CV. Newly formed bands aren't going to be the most attractive proposition to someone booking a cruise band..
they need a track record..

Aim for the day ferries for a start... look for the NSF routes..

You could try bar/restaurant type places like pizza express?

These guys:
[url="http://www.thelivingroom.co.uk/location/glasgow"]http://www.thelivingroom.co.uk/[/url]

Hired a load of jazzy & acoustic acts when they opened in Bristol. There's a branch in Glasgow, so it could be worth paying them a visit.

Or this could be ideally suited to your needs:

[url="http://www.swingltd.co.uk/"]http://www.swingltd.co.uk/[/url]

You may have problems getting anything without your own PA though

I have to agree you really need a PA or need to budget into your gigs to hire one. Most corporate venues will require you to provide all equipment, and for those sorts of gigs you will need PAT and liability insurance too.
Pub gigs will also require you to bring a PA in most instances too

Try Box in Glasgow.

Free, normally can fit you in no problem. Good for gig practice.

Edited to say, sorry, didn't see you were wanting to be paid. They won't pay you at Box, but PA etc is provided.

[b] [color=#9197A3][b][url="https://www.facebook.com/pages/glasgowmusiccouk/131203920284561?hc_location=timeline"]glasgowmusic.co.uk[/url][/b][/color][/b]

[color=#9197A3][size=3][url="https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=738937306177883&id=131203920284561"]12 hours ago[/url][/size][/color]

We are looking for bands and solo artists to play Box in November.

November:
3rd - 2 bands
10th - 2 bands
17th - 1 solo artist
24th - 2 bands

All shows are free entry and full Backline is provided.

Please email - [email protected] if you are available!
[indent=1]

[url="https://www.facebook.com/#"]Ralph Wilson[/url]
[color=#999999][url="https://www.facebook.com/#"]Like[/url][/color] [/indent]

Edited by RalphDWilson

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1414555147' post='2590622']
it wouldn't hurt to have the ladies kick up the wardrobe a couple of notches. No offense, but to me they look like teachers not entertainers.
[/quote]

Is it just me that finds that offensive? I'd like to sell a band on musical merit, not tits and teeth ... Or am I horribly misled?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1414567850' post='2590653']
I don't think you are ready for cruises, tbh, on the 'evidence of your show reel'
[/quote]

Can I ask what about our show reel you think shows that we're not ready? I think our video shows a varied music selection and a polished product. Obviously I've just told you that the band was just formed, but otherwise, I'd say there'd be no telling? We're all pro's on the gigging circuit with experience in this field.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1414581467' post='2590867']
You could try bar/restaurant type places like pizza express?

These guys:
[url="http://www.thelivingroom.co.uk/location/glasgow"]http://www.thelivingroom.co.uk/[/url]

Hired a load of jazzy & acoustic acts when they opened in Bristol. There's a branch in Glasgow, so it could be worth paying them a visit.

Or this could be ideally suited to your needs:

[url="http://www.swingltd.co.uk/"]http://www.swingltd.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for these! I'll look in to them. There's a couple more akin to Swing ltd in Glasgow that I only remembered about when I saw this. Cheers!

And the PA situation, because we're looking to head on cruise ships rather than be a band on land, I'm not overly interested in investing in one just for a few months, sadly. I do get that it would help immensely to have one though!

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1414597208' post='2591143']

And the PA situation, because we're looking to head on cruise ships rather than be a band on land, I'm not overly interested in investing in one just for a few months, sadly. I do get that it would help immensely to have one though!
[/quote]

You could consider hiring a PA when required.....just to give you the initial jumpstart you need.

[size=3][quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1414548348' post='2590616']...[/size]
[size=3]Any suggestions would be well received. Cheers![/size]
[size=3][/quote][/size]
Is it just me that finds that offensive? I'd like to sell a band on musical merit, not tits and teeth ... Or am I horribly misled?
Can I ask what about our show reel you think shows that we're not ready? I think our video shows a varied music selection and a polished product. Obviously I've just told you that the band was just formed, but otherwise, I'd say there'd be no telling? We're all pro's on the gigging circuit with experience in this field.
[/quote]
Is it just me, or does this come across as somewhat churlish..? If that's being 'well received', what's it like when you're miffed..? I was inclined to comment (as requested in another topic...) on the video and its suitability; I'm not sure that my remarks would be useful to you in the light of your reaction here. Never mind. Good luck with your projects. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1414555147' post='2590622']
And it wouldn't hurt to have the ladies kick up the wardrobe a couple of notches. No offense, but to me they look like teachers not entertainers.
[/quote]
I would agree with this. When people watch a band a lot of the time the 'male contingent' like a bit of eye candy. But you are right, a band should be sold on its musical merits not the way the ladies look!

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1414583013' post='2590891']
I would say get a guitarist. With just a keyboard as your main chordal instrument the sound is a bit one dimensional. Adding an electric guitar will really open things up.
[/quote]
I thought this when I watched the vid. Felt like some extra chords and harmonics would definitely fit in there.

Not that Im any expert, but the showreels Ive seen on here a couple of times have been scarily good with boys n girls in matching sexy outfits, proper staging and lighting etc. Having had relatives work on the ships for years ( sound and light engineering on USA mega cruise ships), the standard of house bands is exceptional. I hope you don't consider it sexist but for my 2 pence worth I have to agree that the cruises will look at you appearance as much as your (expected) skill as musicians, like they do for dancers and croupiers, it's showbiz and looks matter. Saying that I thought you all looked and sounded great!

Is it just me that finds that offensive? I'd like to sell a band on musical merit, not tits and teeth ... Or am I horribly misled?[/quote]

No offense again, but I have to ask. Are you fairly new to the business?

I would say your horribly misled, This business is not solely about musical merit. Your selling a whole package which includes image, That is why I suggested the ladies try to look more like entertainers than school teachers.

Regardless, good luck and nice job on landing cruise business.It's not easy.

Blue

Can I ask what about our show reel you think shows that we're not ready? I think our video shows a varied music selection and a polished product. Obviously I've just told you that the band was just formed, but otherwise, I'd say there'd be no telling? We're all pro's on the gigging circuit with experience in this field.[/quote]

For me it's the image or the appearance of the band. And for the video, personally, I would have left the music stands out of the picture.

It's obvious that all of you can play.Musically your very tight.

I don't know what type of cruise ship your booked on, but the look of a band is important here in the USA.

I still maintain my position, if you guys could create more of a look like your entertainers and not teachers that just got off work it would serve you well. Don't get me wrong you guys look professional, however more like professional teachers. And the ladies are attractive, so it would be an easy fix to look more like professional entertainers.

Again good luck

Blue

Edited by blue

[/quote]

Ok, no good way to say this... but I wouldn't need to be told you have just formed..and it wouldn't matter anyway
if the product was good enough. I'm trying to say that it isn't..in my opinion.
Most show bands have a good vocal which can cover a multitude of sins from the band.

Sorry....

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1414597208' post='2591143'] We're all pro's on the gigging circuit with experience in this field.[/quote]

No doubt, but then why is your thread titled, Where/ How To Get Gigs?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1414602251' post='2591223']
No offense again, but I have to ask. Are you fairly new to the business?

I would say your horribly misled, This business is not solely about musical merit. Your selling a whole package which includes image, That is why I suggested the ladies try to look more like entertainers than school teachers.
[/quote]

No offense taken. We are new to this side of the business. We all play in different wedding bands but none of us have ever managed anything before. I've played orchestra gigs on cruise ships, but never taken out a band to play in lounges but I do know what's out there and I do know that we're better than most that are out there in lounges. We're not a "showband" or "party band". We're looking for a more jazzy lounge than a lounge than a party band would play in.

And yes, I'll have to agree on you about "look"and that the girls could look a bit more like entertainers rather than school teachers.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1414597208' post='2591143']Is it just me that finds that offensive? I'd like to sell a band on musical merit, not tits and teeth ... Or am I horribly misled?[/quote]

I think you inferred a little too much from his comment there. It was a perfectly reasonable criticism - there's a big leap from looking like you've just got out of bed and wearing your underwear on stage (well, maybe not actually :lol: - but you know what I mean). I see a reasonably well-dressed drummer and a smart bass player, but the other two (keys in particular) just look a touch too casually dressed. It's not about trying to sell the image on sexuality, rather than simply looking like you've made a bit of an effort.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1414607816' post='2591320']
No offense taken. We are new to this side of the business. We all play in different wedding bands but none of us have ever managed anything before. I've played orchestra gigs on cruise ships, but never taken out a band to play in lounges but I do know what's out there and I do know that we're better than most that are out there in lounges. We're not a "showband" or "party band". We're looking for a more jazzy lounge than a lounge than a party band would play in.

And yes, I'll have to agree on you about "look"and that the girls could look a bit more like entertainers rather than school teachers.
[/quote]

I have another question?

When you say you want to have a "[i]couple of local gigs under your belt". [/i]I was thinking bar/club gigs. Is that what your looking for, if yes that could be tough because the band is not a bar/club band.

And my question is, if you guys play weddings and you have played orchestra gigs on cruises, why do you want to go backwards in the gig food chain?

A lot of us bar band guys would love to get cruise work but most can't. It's not a good match.

I'm thinking you might want to contact some of the Supper Clubs that book the more jazzy lounge sound.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1414614961' post='2591467']
When you say you want to have a "[i]couple of local gigs under your belt". [/i]I was thinking bar/club gigs. Is that what your looking for, if yes that could be tough because the band is not a bar/club band.

And my question is, if you guys play weddings and you have played orchestra gigs on cruises, why do you want to go backwards in the gig food chain?

A lot of us bar band guys would love to get cruise work but most can't. It's not a good match.

I'm thinking you might want to contact some of the Supper Clubs that book the more jazzy lounge sound.

Blue
[/quote]

I've done the wedding band gig for the last 5 years but it's not my own gig. Someone else runs the band and what not and I want more control. I've done the cruise orchestra gig and absolutely love it and will head back out as a cruise orchestra bass player, but alas I have a girlfriend of 5 years, who's the vocalist in our lounge band, and my compromise of wanting to go out again on my own on the seas was that we set up a lounge band and take that out and I can take contracts around of orchestra and lounge band.

And the gig food chain? I'm giving up a £20k a year job in a wedding band for ships. Money doesn't drive me. Happiness does and to be at sea playing in the orchestra for 7 months at a time is a great drive. The music's (usually) great, it's usually a challenge and the social aspect of ships is great. I'm done with weddings for the time being. Well, the band I was in at least. I've loved my time and experience at sea and that's why I'm heading back out. But to bring money back in to the equation, lounge bands are paid more than orchestra musicians, whilst lounge band musicians get more privileges than orchestra musicians.