Why become a member? ×

Where/How To Get Gigs?

AndyBob09

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1414617457' post='2591517']
I've done the wedding band gig for the last 5 years but it's not my own gig. Someone else runs the band and what not and I want more control. I've done the cruise orchestra gig and absolutely love it and will head back out as a cruise orchestra bass player, but alas I have a girlfriend of 5 years, who's the vocalist in our lounge band, and my compromise of wanting to go out again on my own on the seas was that we set up a lounge band and take that out and I can take contracts around of orchestra and lounge band.

And the gig food chain? I'm giving up a £20k a year job in a wedding band for ships. Money doesn't drive me. Happiness does and to be at sea playing in the orchestra for 7 months at a time is a great drive. The music's (usually) great, it's usually a challenge and the social aspect of ships is great. I'm done with weddings for the time being. Well, the band I was in at least. I've loved my time and experience at sea and that's why I'm heading back out. But to bring money back in to the equation, lounge bands are paid more than orchestra musicians, whilst lounge band musicians get more privileges than orchestra musicians.
[/quote]

Well good luck with this new project. Your in charge now, do your own thing.

I'm jealous, however I know I'm not a band leader.

Blue

[quote name='God' timestamp='1414617770' post='2591524']
I tend to go with a wing and a prayer. Gotta love those Nando's chilli wings. Probably my best work yet but I tend to get looks from other customers when talking to myself in Nandos.
[/quote]

Can we put this in quotes of the year? I'm still trying to work it out...! God only knows?

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1414548348' post='2590616']
I've just set up a band that I hope to take on cruise ships in the new year (have just applied to a host of agents), however, before we head off to the open seas, I'd love to get a few local gigs under our belt.

Apart from the regular pub thing, where would you suggest? I'd love to get in with a few low key corporate gigs. We'd be looking more for background lounge kind of stuff, but unfortunately do not have our own PA. I just have no idea of where to start looking for gigs though. It'd kinda need to be paid too, unfortunately (£200+),

For reference, here's our promo video:

[media]http://youtu.be/DjhZFX5MmKE[/media]

Any suggestions would be well received. Cheers!
[/quote]
The quality of your highlight reel, or the lack of it in terms of production is what stands out as soon as you press play to me. What did you use to record this and put it together? I'd be more likely to advocate a more polished studio mix that shows a lot of time and care has been put in to the package. Listening on, your sound is good, but it's missing something. I'd advocate a guitarist to join you guys, also you say the bound is lounge music? I'm not getting that vibe really, I wouldn't want to sit there of an evening with a whisky listening to a band who's vocalist belts it out big time, no matter how good she is, lounge needs to have a continuous undertone of class, and sophistication somewhat bossa edged to work and I just don't think you guys have that sound.

As for getting gigs right now, as everyone has said, a PA is essential, having use of one allows you to charge a competitive fee, and be self reliant which is utterly key. Finding gigs and being booked again will need you to network and make the band stand out, again I'm gonna say better recordings and a better all round sound!

My 2 cents:

Gigs: I think it would be more appropriate if you're in the wedding circuit to possibly attempt to get some wedding work either instead of or in addition to pub gigs. I don't know your personal circumstances with the band leader in your wedding band, but I feel its normally appropriate to ask for a referral if they can't do a gig. Also if they are part of an agency that's the first one I'd try. If you must go down the pub gig route, then asking local bars and being persistent is really the only way without a name or referrals. If you make yourself available to late cancellation relief you might get in their good graces, although it depends how available you are as a group.

PA: For the type of music you're playing, and the venues you seem to be targeting, I'd advice picking up a pair of 12" active tops and a small mixer. It's the bare minimum, but at least you will be able to do the majority of smaller gigs, hiring when you need to. Going second hand will mean that you can sell it for the same price you bought it for when you go to sea, so there's no real investment involved.

Demo: I agree with some of the sentiments expressed already, mostly that your band's image feels underdeveloped. If I went to see a lounge band in a classy lounge and a whiskey sour, I'd expect to see cocktail dresses and nice suits. People unfortunately hear with their eyes, so you have to cater for that in a video demo. The sound of the demo was quite thin to me, listening on cheap earphones on the PC. Now, that is an unfair representation of the sound quality, but it is the route the majority of your customers will probably take. I would advice recording a professional sounding demo (i.e. multitracked, properly mixed and mastered) and playing along to it to get the video.

And, if you're still with me, bloody go for it!

[size=4]Checkout some function and cruise band videos on youtube as well, I've just been checking a few out and they really show what this video is lacking.[/size]

Plus, as others have said, a good guitar player would compliment what you've already got and take the sound to another level.

Liked the bass playing a lot by the way!

Off Topic but interesting.

[b] 3 Reasons To Do A Cruise Ship Gig (For Musicians) [/b]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGQA4S80iE

[b] 3 Reasons NOT To Do A Cruise Ship Gig (For Musicians) [/b]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikD3RSteUa0

Me, I could take off in a second for a cruise gig. Like many I'm not networked for this type of opportunity and don't have a clue on how to get networked. It's what happens to local bar band guys. You can get stuck in a rut.

blue

Cruise work is fine if you live with mum and dad.
You still have the home at home to run and the bills to pay.
Unless your a bit of a bum, the free accommodation free food but low pay soon gets a bit of a drag.
Then you have to be able to all get along like a house on fire, same sets, same routines, night and day in and out, 3 shifts on some cross channel jobs !

There is not that much trouble getting this kind of work as most only ever do it once.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1414705949' post='2592591']

Then you have to be able to all get along like a house on fire, same sets, same routines, night and day in and out, 3 shifts on some cross channel jobs ![/quote]

It's a job, it's work, I have no problem with that.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1414704771' post='2592571']
Off Topic but interesting.

[b] 3 Reasons To Do A Cruise Ship Gig (For Musicians) [/b]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGQA4S80iE"]https://www.youtube....h?v=2sGQA4S80iE[/url]

[b] 3 Reasons NOT To Do A Cruise Ship Gig (For Musicians) [/b]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikD3RSteUa0"]https://www.youtube....h?v=ikD3RSteUa0[/url]

Me, I could take off in a second for a cruise gig. Like many I'm not networked for this type of opportunity and don't have a clue on how to get networked. It's what happens to local bar band guys. You can get stuck in a rut.

blue
[/quote]

This guy on Youtube tickles me a little. The 3 reasons to do a cruise gig are spot on. The three negatives are also correct but I honestly wouldn't class them all as "negatives". For me, working for a large corporation actually works really well. For me, it fills me with purpose and the hierarchical system of it is great. The teamwork aspect is great. You can't eat TOO healthily on a ship but there's fairly healthy options. The drinking every night aspect - For me, it's great. It was so sociable. You can take nights off of drinking obviously but you'll always be certain to see friendly faces in the bar. The cramped quarters things, you just get used to unfortunately. On my last ship, musicians had their own rooms though. The had around 8' x 3' of floor space and a murphy bed that folder to the wall. It was a small room but it was your own small room.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1414714203' post='2592704']
This guy on Youtube tickles me a little. The 3 reasons to do a cruise gig are spot on. The three negatives are also correct but I honestly wouldn't class them all as "negatives". For me, working for a large corporation actually works really well. For me, it fills me with purpose and the hierarchical system of it is great. The teamwork aspect is great. You can't eat TOO healthily on a ship but there's fairly healthy options. The drinking every night aspect - For me, it's great. It was so sociable. You can take nights off of drinking obviously but you'll always be certain to see friendly faces in the bar. The cramped quarters things, you just get used to unfortunately. On my last ship, musicians had their own rooms though. The had around 8' x 3' of floor space and a murphy bed that folder to the wall. It was a small room but it was your own small room.
[/quote]

Yeah, the whole cruise thing would work for me. I think I waited too long for a lot of this stuff .However at this stage of my life I can get up and go anywhere.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1414719325' post='2592714']
Yeah, the whole cruise thing would work for me. I think I waited too long for a lot of this stuff .However at this stage of my life I can get up and go anywhere.

Blue
[/quote]

If you can read, you can get an orchestra job no problem man.

As many have said, the promo video needs to be more professional,
visually and audio wise.
A lot of bands go to great extremes and cost to get that right these days,
after all, it is still business at the end of the day, and you are in competition

I used to do plenty of cruise gigs, mostly the pit/orchestra/backing the productions shows,
and they were certainly better paid than the lounge or guest bands.
More than likely because you were on standard MU contracts, which meant weekly show fees,
show rehearsal fees if needed ( and usually were for cast), travel to and from port/airport and in port maning if you wanted it.
The lounge gigs where not so desirable because of long hours and some times day gigs or lunch time bar sessions.

Two or four week depping was also regular, the guys who were on long term contracts would
need the breaks. Those days are now gone, sadly.

I know a few younger single guys and girls who do cruise ships, and I was surprised at how low
the wages are these days. If you are single, still a good gig to do and you will save money.
Good for your chops, and of course, you get to see the world - great social life.

Good luck with it all.

This is going to sound harsh and isn't [size=4]meant to be but this all looks amateurish. No PA? you really need to be self sufficient and able to show that you can generate enough money to buy all the essentials of your trade. What would you think of a carpenter who turned up without chisels or a plane? A video with a static camera and no editing and room acoustics evident? Have a look at this from one of our local bands and you'll see the difference [/size][size=4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOmU_iVy4s8#t=75 or at a lower budget level but still a good video [/size][size=4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-iJbyKKbM8. [/size]

[size=4]You guys are great musically but there is something missing and for me it is a sense of theatre or performance. Skimpy clothes or a killer guitarist might do it as has been suggested but there are plenty of other ways of selling yourselves as entertainers. Sex sells, but It's not a route many of us would choose to take, however you do need to look as if you can entertain the audience you are aiming at.[/size]

[size=4]Bandleading IMO is the missing ingredient in most bands. It's about realism and seeing yourself as others see you, and about understanding the needs and expectations of your customers. Cruise ships like everyone else are going to be looking for a hassle free package, and someone appealing to their customers. If your video is your main marketing tool does it promise that?[/size]

[size=4]Good luck[/size]

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1414802971' post='2593594']
[size=4]Have a look at this from one of our local bands and you'll see the difference [/size][size=4][url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOmU_iVy4s8#t=75"]https://www.youtube....OmU_iVy4s8#t=75[/url] or at a lower budget level but still a good video [/size][size=4][url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-iJbyKKbM8."]https://www.youtube....?v=7-iJbyKKbM8.[/url] [/size][/quote]

Loved the [size=4]In This Time - Sound of the Sirens [/size]promo. I'd book them in a minute.Very good example. The women are not over the top sexy but still sexy and they convey good energy and emotion. Which is lacking in OPs promo.

For the OP (original poster), it depends on what his plan is. He might want to re-evaluate the promo and look into some resources that can make the band look more professional and marketable. Were musicians,we can see that musically you guys have it. Club owners won't.

Blue

Edited by blue