Why become a member? ×

Vox ToneLab

police squad

I have the studio version (without pedals on). It's a pretty good pre-amp for recording. There is a HPF on those so not suitable for bass though.
For guitar I suppose it could work but it depends on what you're doing, I don't think you'll get the same response as a proper guitar amp and will possibly sound a bit too direct through the PA. Soo if the band is a 'guitar' band I would avoid it, if its just to add a bit of texture it may be ok.

Our guitarist brings his Line6 Pod to gigs in case his amp goes pop, which (being a 70s Fender Twin) it often does. It does not sound great through the PA, but it gets us through the night.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1414577002' post='2590792']
I have the studio version (without pedals on). It's a pretty good pre-amp for recording. There is a HPF on those so not suitable for bass though.
For guitar I suppose it could work but it depends on what you're doing, I don't think you'll get the same response as a proper guitar amp and will possibly sound a bit too direct through the PA. Soo if the band is a 'guitar' band I would avoid it, if its just to add a bit of texture it may be ok.

Our guitarist brings his Line6 Pod to gigs in case his amp goes pop, which (being a 70s Fender Twin) it often does. It does not sound great through the PA, but it gets us through the night.
[/quote]

good info thanks.
We're a pop/rock band. The other guitarist uses a roland synth for all his guitar sounds. I want an ac-30 type crucnhy rhthymn sound which I can add more gain too for the odd solo, with a little chorus and delay. And have it at different volumes (ie lead sound set louder and so on)

We run everything through a PA that has a decent number of inputs already incorporating preamps. The bass actually goes direct to the same PA in our case but the guitars are via effects pedals of various makes. With the added EQ controls from the pedals and the inbuilt pre-amps, we find it pretty much does the job that a DI box would normally do. Mind you, that's maybe only with our equipment and our types of gigs.