Why become a member? ×

Am I odd or is this science?

bonzodog

This may (hopefully) ring true with some of you, or I may be just weird.

At rehearsal the other night we played a new cover of The Beatles 'You can't do that'. When we came to the chorus I suddenly felt light headed. Nothing serious, just a bit light on my feet. Then it passed.
An hour later we played it again and as soon as chorus came along the light headed feeling came back!
This made me remember the same thing happening a while back when a Rhianna song was in charts and every time I heard a part of it, I felt light headed.

You may think I am making this up, but it really is happening. I have googled it but can't find anyone else suffering. Its almost as if certain pitches or chord sequences have an affect on me.
Any one else had anything similar or am I just odd?

Edit - And yes I am expecting someone to comment that every Rhianna song makes them feel light headed!

It's science.
Every cell in our body is affected by sound frequencies (as well as electromagnetic etc etc etc). There are loads of studies using sound to affect various diseases (both causing the disease and healing it).
The Russians developed a machine called the Skenar to take into space to heal. Same kind of stuff.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1414575614' post='2590763']
This may (hopefully) ring true with some of you, or I may be just weird.

At rehearsal the other night we played a new cover of The Beatles 'You can't do that'. When we came to the chorus I suddenly felt light headed. Nothing serious, just a bit light on my feet. Then it passed.
An hour later we played it again and as soon as chorus came along the light headed feeling came back!
This made me remember the same thing happening a while back when a Rhianna song was in charts and every time I heard a part of it, I felt light headed.

You may think I am making this up, but it really is happening. I have googled it but can't find anyone else suffering. Its almost as if certain pitches or chord sequences have an affect on me.
Any one else had anything similar or am I just odd?

Edit - And yes I am expecting someone to comment that every Rhianna song makes them feel light headed!
[/quote]

Bonzodog - It may be what's called the '[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullio_phenomenon"]Tullio phenomenon[/url]' - if it causes a problem it might be worth popping along to your GP and seeing an audiologist.

Edited by ahpook

I believe you may have a form of synthesia. I have it, and it manifests by me seeing colours when I hear music. I like music which 'is' black, red, orange or purple, but I dislike music which is white, pink or yellow. Some music is genuinely white with brown chequers, and that's the worst. I've only ever told a couple of people about it up until now, for fear of ridicule, but after reading that it's an actual 'thing' I'm a lot happier to discuss it.

I swear I'm not making this up, nor do I take drugs.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1414588150' post='2590981']
I believe you may have a form of synthesia. I have it, and it manifests by me seeing colours when I hear music. I like music which 'is' black, red, orange or purple, but I dislike music which is white, pink or yellow. Some music is genuinely white with brown chequers, and that's the worst. I've only ever told a couple of people about it up until now, for fear of ridicule, but after reading that it's an actual 'thing' I'm a lot happier to discuss it.

I swear I'm not making this up, nor do I take drugs.
[/quote]

I've read a lot about this in the past. I'd be interested in what kind of music is what colour? Could you specify by genre? Or key? Or beat? etc

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1414588371' post='2590988']

I've read a lot about this in the past. I'd be interested in what kind of music is what colour? Could you specify by genre? Or key? Or beat? etc
[/quote]

All of those are factors, but moreso genre.

Funk is red and sonetimes orange

Pop is white. Techno is pink and can be white.

Country is yellow.

Metal is predictably black and grey.

Rap is green!

Just to be sure: are there deviations from standard tuning in these songs?
There exists a phenomenon that is not Tullio where people will get nausea and/or dizziness when being "overfed" with frequencies that are not part of the scale. I forgot the scientific name.
BTW I'm not trying to make a bad joke here. It has been studied and it does have a scientific name. I just can't remember it. Twas 35 years ago.

No, that scientific name is not "Country & Western", goddemmit! :D

Another science example - or at least a "pop-science" one:
Low frequency sounds (and I mean LOW, way below our hearing) can cause anxiety and nauseate a person. That's a quite common explanation for "hauntings" and stuff like that occurring in the abandoned tunnels and other structures: sound at super low frequency level in the piping and other elements of the surrounding is sensed somehow by our brains and causes the feeling of discomfort or OHMYGOD SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME!

Maybe the sound frequencies from the specific moments of songs are in the same key as the nauseating sound, but few octaves up and they resonate with the low frequency background "noise" or something?

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1414588767' post='2591004']
All of those are factors, but moreso genre.

Funk is red and sonetimes orange

Pop is white. Techno is pink and can be white.

Country is yellow.

Metal is predictably black and grey.

Rap is green!
[/quote]

Fascinating! Are you like Arthur Henry and just somehow feel that these genres are these colours? Or do you genuinely see the colours as some sort of tint on your vision?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1414595248' post='2591114']
Fascinating! Are you like Arthur Henry and just somehow feel that these genres are these colours? Or do you genuinely see the colours as some sort of tint on your vision?
[/quote]

My understanding is that it's not in your vision, it's in your "mind's eye". Certainly, when I think about weekdays or the days and months of the year, I "see" them laid out as two different 3D doughnut shapes in my minds eye, but nothing appears in my actual vision.

Edited by allighatt0r

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1414596233' post='2591128']
My understanding is that it's not in your vision, it's in your "mind's eye". Certainly, when I think about weekdays or the days and months of the year, I "see" them laid out as two different 3D doughnut shapes in my minds eye, but nothing appears in my actual vision.
[/quote]

So you don't just "see" colours, but shapes as well? Do different genres have different shapes? Maybe genres are colours and sub-genres are shapes, in which case, what's Deathdoom-core?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1414597032' post='2591142']
So you don't just "see" colours, but shapes as well? Do different genres have different shapes? Maybe genres are colours and sub-genres are shapes, in which case, what's Deathdoom-core?
[/quote]

Aaah sorry, I'm not the bloke with the colourful music, I'm just the bloke with the spacially represented weekdays and yearly cycle in my head.