Why become a member? ×

Ampeg + Fender - Seems a little quiet?

JackieMoon

Hello BC'ers,

I recently took delivery of a new Ampeg PF-800 to replace my Hartke LH500. I am running it into a Fender Neo 610 cab connected via Speakon. The head is listed as being 800w RMS @ 4 Ohms and the cab is listed as handling 800w cont. at 4 Ohms also. However it seems incredibly quiet. I run a MM Sterling into it and in order to get a usable gig volume I have to have the volume up to half and not use the -15db active bass button. The Hartke was never anywhere higher than about 4 on volume.

Am I doing something wrong? It's really not creating the wall of sound that I had hoped.

Cheers, Joe

Amps do differ in how the volume control affects output; some deliver most of it fairly early on with little increase towards the top end of the range; others are very 'linear' and keep increasing as you dial up to 10; and some seem to deliver most of the usable output in the top half of the range. Also, how are you setting the input gain? You should have that as high as you can go with the peaking indicator coming on intermittently when you dig in.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1414582026' post='2590872']
Amps do differ in how the volume control affects output; some deliver most of it fairly early on with little increase towards the top end of the range; others are very 'linear' and keep increasing as you dial up to 10; and some seem to deliver most of the usable output in the top half of the range.
[/quote]

My experience, and others I think, of the Hartke LH's, is that the volume control is very "polite" until it gets to about 1-2 o'clock. (5-6 on the dial) and that after that it gets proper loud. If it was at 4 (11 o'clock-ish) I'd say it probably had loads, and I mean loads, more grunt on tap.

Maybe the Ampeg's the same, albeit different IYSWIM ?

Edited by barkin

In comparison to other 500 watt mini-amps, I did find the PF500 to need pushing further on the volume, same as you`ve found really, 1 more on the PF than the others. That said wall of sound isn`t really Ampegs strength imo, it`s all about the mids which on their own I find a bit, well meh, but in the mix provide a good solid foundation on which to work. Still, with a 610 there should be some sizeable sound going on there. I used to keep all eq at noon and use the Ultra Low selected and it was great like that, plus a bit of compression.

Edited by Lozz196

Glad you got it sorted.
I've been using the PF-800 with a single Portaflex 2 x 10 and whilst happy with the tone, it never did feel like 400W @ 8ohms.( For some gigs I've used an MXR micro amp) to boost the signal of my passive Jazz.(lighter than taking a second cab)
I've A/B'd it recently with a new Fender V3 Rumble 500 combo ( 2 x 10 350W @ 8 ohms) and whilst rated lower, the Fender has far more headroom....and a very nice tone to boot.