Why become a member? ×

Help a newbie change pickups

Mornats

Hey folks,

I've got the urge to experiment with different pickups in my Squire VM Jazz. It's a fantastic bass but I'd like a bit more bottom end oomph out of the pups.

So, I have no idea how to solder and don't know anything about wiring which puts me at a disadvantage straight away. I don't want to mess things up or worse, wire myself directly to a live circuit through my bass.

So my first thought was to buy a wiring loom from Kiogon on here. Then get myself some Entwistle pickups (as they're dead cheap and have great reviews).

My question is: Is it easy for a newbie to fit a Kiogon wiring loom then install some new pickups? I can follow instructions fairly well and tend to err on the side of caution, especially when electronics are concerned.

(I do have to add that I managed to replace the tweeter in my MarkBass 121P no problem.)

I'd tell you to rather let the pros do it. I suck at soldering, too, and I always mess even the easiest things up - even if it works at first, the solders break at random moments, not to mention they luck ugly and untidy. Find a decent bloke who'd help you out. It's better to do things just once, but solidly. :)

It actually couldn't be easier and doesn't involve any soldering at all. When John's kit arrives, unscrew the control plate and you will see what bits correspond to the existing set up. Snip the wires coming from the pickups to the pots (I'd leave a couple of mm on so you know which goes where if you want to put them back), gently prise the knobs off the shafts (oh er etc), undo the nuts (oh er etc) and take out the old assembly. Put the new ones in, tighten up the nuts, stick yer knobs back on and then use the connector block screw terminals to attach the pup wires. Then screw the control plate back. Job done. 15 mins.

Edit - If you were nervous about it I think John sells complete control plates, already wired and ready to go.

Edited by Paul S

Oh, my mistake, if it's 100% solderless, than you should go ahead and do it yourself.
[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1414596300' post='2591131']
(...)
[/quote]
My sincere apologies to KiOgon for underestimating the awesomeness of his kit, I just knew, as a Polish guy, that I couldn't order one, so I never got into details not to be tempted ;)

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1414597456' post='2591148']
Oh, my mistake, if it's 100% solderless, than you should go ahead and do it yourself.

My sincere apologies to KiOgon for underestimating the awesomeness of his kit, I just knew, as a Polish guy, that I couldn't order one, so I never got into details not to be tempted ;)
[/quote]No apologies needed :)
There's nothing stopping you ordering, I believe postage to Poland & many other corners of the world are very reasonable ;) - not saying you live in a corner like :happy:

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1414598071' post='2591156']
No apologies needed :)
There's nothing stopping you ordering, I believe postage to Poland & many other corners of the world are very reasonable ;) - not saying you live in a corner like :happy:
[/quote]
Was pretty p*ssed when I ordered a chrome bridge cover for my Telecaster Bass from a Basschatter and it got lost in the transfer, never to be seen again - was not ordering anything from abroad since. But your kits are pretty cool solution for me :) I'll PM you soon with an inquiry.

After chatting to John I've now ordered a complete replacement control plate and wiring loom with proper black jazz knobs :) Can't wait to try it out!

John suggested trying out the loom with my existing pickups as it'll improve the sound just on its own. That's sage advice, try one thing at a time until I'm happy. Although a part of me does say it might be easier to lift out the entire set of pickups and control plate and fit a new set of pups and the new plate all in one go. No wire snipping and an easy route back if I wanted it (or decide to sell the bass and keep the new electronics).

So, if I just try it with my old pickups and give them the snip (!!!) is it easy to reattach them to the old wiring loom later? I guess that would just be a little soldering job? John did say to ask him for any help but the answer here may help others in future :)

Taking out the entire old set would still involve snipping wires as they pass through a small hole from the pickup cavity into the control cavity - so you can't avoid it. But you could use a small connecting block with screw terminals to re-join the wires if you don't fancy soldering.

Righto, that was a really simple upgrade even for a noob like me :) Just a little snip of the wires, some careful stripping back of the coatings for the wires and it all went in really easily.

So, I did a sample recording of the stock wiring and compared it with the wiring loom from KiOgon:

I was a bit lazy and only did the test with the tone turned right up as this is how I usually play.

https://soundcloud.com/mornats/jazz-bass-electronics-comparison

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My thoughts are that the sound from KiOgon's wiring loom are clearer and much more defined, especially in the midrange with has extra clarity and cuts through a bit more. I think it sings a bit more. I tried it through my MarkBass and it sounds sweet. In comparison, the old set of electronics sound a bit muddy and ill-defined now.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]What do you guys think?[/font][/color]