Why become a member? ×

do I want a p bass ?

jassbass

I don't really use a P bass in any of the music I'm currently playing but I still keep one around... sounds great with flats when I'm doing singer / songwriter sideman type gigs.

I think it's a bass worth having in the arsenal... Although I think a jazz is more flexible I can't see many situations I will be using it over my prefered active sixers, where as the P bass still offers something I can't get from my usual basses.

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1414612707' post='2591411']
Owning a P bass is a lot like having a child. You look at it sometimes and wonder if the money would have been better spent on something else; but if anyone tried to take it away from you, you'd kill them.
[/quote]

Haha I LOVE that....

There is so many times that I think, maybe I should've brought a Musicman or a Warwick and when I get to practice and plug it in i just think...

Mother trucking P BASS!!!!!!! :yarr:

I never really thought about getting a p-bass and then i was offered a go on a 77 that a friend of a friend had just bought, i was hooked. i spent a while shopping around and eventually pursuaded the owner (now a friend and my bass tutor and a member here) to sell me the 77.

can you get yourself to the north east bass bash this sunday? there should be a fair few excellent p-basses there and if dodge_bass (the aforementioned gentleman) makes an appearance there is a good chance that there will be a 5 string p-bass or 2 there as well. my 77 will make an appearance if i can get it back from dodge_bass who has it on loan at the moment.

the analogy of a p-bass being like a child is spot on!

Matt

I've played Jazz Basses from the very start of my playing time - 18 years ago. I tried a Precision about a year ago and didn't like it to be honest. I think it was due to the fact that I play finger style with my thumb resting on the bridge pickup which I have wide open while the neck pickup is turned off.

Having said all this, like others have said, definitely go and try some out. You might love them.

Edited by thebassist