Why become a member? ×

do I want a p bass ?

jassbass

Its the most recorded bass in history by far. Simple, not alot to go wrong with it. I too avoided the P, played active PJ's and Stingrays until i bought a passive Squier CV 50s on a whim. The tone was close to what i hear in my head, so sold the single coil and went to a split coil. Bingo, tone found!

I dabble with other types of basses but will always have a P.

I want to like them so much.
I prefer the body shape to a Jazz and they usually weigh less.
I don't mind the wider neck and the simplicity appeals - I only use the neck pick up on my Jazz.
But I don't like the tone - I keep trying them, hoping to find one with the smooth, deep clarity of a good Jazz.
I haven't tried a 50s single coil one yet and that might be the answer.

I would advise playing one and listening carefully to the tone before buying.
And remember y[size=4]ou'll have to change your name if you do get one [/size] :)[size=4] [/size]

I'm like you - been playing for 30 odd years and always Jazz or some other variant. I bought my first P-bass, a JV '82 a few weeks back, then a Roadworn. I'll always keep my Jazz, but I can't imagine not having a P now. It just sits in the mix like nothing else, so satisfying to play. All depends on what sort of music you're into of course, but there seem to be a ton of different Ps out there that deliver different vibes. My two are quite different and that's before the variation of stringing them with flats v. rounds. A P is made for flats (if you like flats that is).

As others have said, try one - but the real way to try a Precision is in the mix. On their own, compared to other more technical basses, the sound doesn`t sound that great but that`s not where their strengths are, it`s in the mix that counts and that`s where a Precision comes to life.

I would advise a 4-string "traditional" model. The E-A pickup segment is too far "north" (close to the neck) to give adequate definition to the B string on a P-5 unless the pickup is "reversed," meaning the B-E pickup segment is on the bridge side and the A-D-G segment is on the neck side.

Edited by iiipopes

I was trying to use a 4003 in a Nashville studio, and it didn't cut through the mix. Luckily, I had my Am. Std. Precision along for the ride.The Precision was magic, for the studio cuts. My Jazz would have been ok, but in this case the Precision had the sounds they wanted, a real thump.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BqfHZF0.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by gsgbass