Why become a member? ×

Does changing the bridge make much difference?

Twangster

I like a solid mass ..as opposed to a cheap plate but not sure how much difference in sound you can hear,
but I think it could help the string speak a bit better...
But... this is just a small part of the chain and it also depends on the quality of the rest of the components, IMO.
Great bridge but pretty poor wood or anything else ... means a waste of time and money, to me..!!

Having been through the replacing bridges thing, a hi-mass bridge - especially the Badass - seems to "tighten" up the sound, make the lows and highs more focused, and slightly scoop the mids. That`s why personally I don`t like them on Precisions, they seem to reduce the Precisions main strengths. But doing all of that to me emphasises a Jazz`s strengths.

But the age-old question, would I be able to tell in the mix? Not a chance.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1414619927' post='2591586']
I like a solid mass ..as opposed to a cheap plate but not sure how much difference in sound you can hear,
but I think it could help the string speak a bit better...
But... this is just a small part of the chain and it also depends on the quality of the rest of the components, IMO.
Great bridge but pretty poor wood or anything else ... means a waste of time and money, to me..!!
[/quote]

+1

Would it make a difference? Possibly. Will it be an improvement? I don't think you can predict the outcome.

As long as the bridge functions as it should, I would not turn to it in order to change the sonic qualities of a bass. There are other more important factors. But most of all, you can't predict that *if* you hear a difference, it will be for the better.

So I'd say change it if it doesn't allow you the adjustment you want, or you prefer a different look, but don't expect a bridge change to turn your bass into a vastly superior instrument.

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

I have just put a high mass bridge on my MIJ 62 reissue P, sounds just like it did before I put it on thank god, coz I love this bass ! However setting it up was a lot easier and unplugged I could hear and feel an increase in sustain. And it looks a hole lot better than the tarnished old tin plate bridge that fender put on.

I think it makes a difference to the ergonomics, setup time & string changes, adjustability, balance of the instrument, appearance - but I don't know about tone.
I think a change in saddle material may well make a noticable difference (like changing a nut) - but the bridge itself - I couldn't say. I've had high mass and lower mass bridges and can't say they're all that different IME.

Over the past couple of years I have put Badass, Gotoh, Hipshot A style and generic cheap Gotoh-a-like high mass bridges on my main 'test bed' Precision. In terms of tone and sustain I can't honestly say it ever made a scrap of difference over the BBOT.

In terms of string changing/looks/adjustability/having a great bit of kit they were an improvement. In terms of comfort they were an improvement as I always seemed to rest my palm on something sharp on the BBOT.

But I seem to have gone full circle and stuck the BBOT back on again.

Edited by Paul S

I've used Fender BBOT, Babicz, Hipshot A and B bridges. Swapped them about on various basses over years.

I do think they make a very very slight difference to the sound. Not significant enough in my experience to warrant changing it though - expense, hassle.

If your bass sounds crap, changing the bridge won't do you much good. Number one in tone generation is right hand technique; after that pickups, strings, woods make much much bigger changes to the sound than the bridge IMO.

Unless I don't like how a bridge works, or the string spacing, I have learned to leave the bridges just as they come on my basses.

I have swapped around some saddles on my Celinders - from solid brass ones to vintage threaded ferrules type ones - as a cheap and effective way to get narrower string spacing. No significant change to sound as far as I can tell.

YMMV

Pete

Edited by funkle

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1414622082' post='2591622']
What, they have signature P basses too?! :o
[/quote]
The OP's question - "Does changing the bridge make much difference?"

Jazz bass = bass with a bridge.

Marcus Miller + Geddy Lee models = basses with non standard bridges (that make them better). :lol:

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1414691883' post='2592362']
The OP's question - "Does changing the bridge make much difference?"

Jazz bass = bass with a bridge.

Marcus Miller + Geddy Lee models = basses with non standard bridges (that make them better). :lol:
[/quote]

Aye I knew that I was just trying to be funny. Which obviously didn't work. Coat got.