Why become a member? ×

Tried a Sadowsky last night...

AndyBob09

... And we really didn't get on well. It sounded not bad thanks to it's preamp but that's where my praise for it got lost!

I really didn't like the way it balanced. To me, the head and neck felt dreadfully light. The tension in the strings just didn't feel right to me. Maybe it was the gauge of strings or something, but just didn't feel "right". I was only really happy when playing the G string.

Does anyone else feel the same way? I was expecting a LOT more from the instrument based on how much they cost. My basses are Musicman SR5, Sandberg TM5 and an old Japanese Fender P. They all just feel much sturdier than the Sadowsky, and all cost significantly less!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1414623454' post='2591644']
It could be any number of things. Fit, finish etc. aside, you can't really give it a decent crack of the whip until the setup and strings are to your taste.
[/quote] what wateroftyne says.
also my old mountain bike is a lot "studier" than my road bike. But it's horses for courses rather than one being better or worse

Sounds like you could have tweaked it a bit and I'd be surprised if it wasn't receptive to that... but then to do that, you'd need the shop/seller to be
compliant. I like the action low... but some people wouldn't as it would be too clanky.
Also, I'm very picky about string feel so that would be another factor for me... but I think I'd get to know enough about how
it stacked up to be worth buying and tweaking at a later point.

What I don't tend to like....on any bass... is 'unfinished' necks.
I like a traditional lacquer as otherwise they feel 'cheap' to me.
Each to their own, but a dull old piece of maple untreated ruins the whole thing...

what particular Sadowsky instrument was it.? maybe the Sadowsky is different because of the instruments your currently using. maybe they are a little heavier on the neck.. I've always found Sadowsky instruments to be very well balanced.. like i say its what your used to playing. i had an amazing SR5 but it was heavy, but then compared to my old RV5, the Sadowsky was almost too light.