Why become a member? ×

Barefaced ohm rating

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1414657694' post='2591798']
Thanks , I was wondering if you could get away with using both these cabs with a 4ohm amp .
[/quote]

I'm all for discovery and experimentation but I wouldn't risk it with an amp I care about. At best it might work. In the middle, it'll have some sort of protection in it and shut down. At worst, the magic smoke will be let out of somewhere.

Edited by neepheid

I'll bet the 4ohm cab has two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel. You could rewire them in series to give a 16ohm cab.
That'd give you two 16ohm cabs which (in parallel) would give you an overall 8ohm impedance. Each cab would have an equal share of the 'power' (if you ignore the efficiency).

I've been having a problem on very small stages/ pubs where I'm so close to the cab I can't hear any note definition , It sounds great about 8ft plus away , being 6ft 4 doesnt help I thought if I had a 2 x10 on top that might help ,. I suppose the answer is to put the 12T on a couple of bear crates , I can't tilt is back because I put the PA mixer & bass head on top of it .

I'd go with raising it up, from my experience the Super 12 is a very very loud cab, there'll only be you not hearing it!

If that's not a goer, perhaps have a play with putting some mids into your sound for definition?

+1 to raising.
I do exactly the same with mine, Amp, PA rack, mixer on top. I have a box that i put all the cables in which I've customised slighly to accept the feet of my S12. The added bonus on stage is that you don't get anything like the amount of boom so the guitarists are also happy :)
The only downside is you have to get all the cables you need out before you set up the rig.