Why become a member? ×

Triggering samples live, jamman?

gafbass02

Hi all, I've recently had a need to trigger samples live, backing vocals, intros, etc, what's the best (CHHHHHEEEEAP!) way to do this? Looking around, the Digitech jam man seems like a plan. Anyone use one? Could I preload it with the samples I need for a set, give it's own channel to the PA and the just stomp to trigger? Whatever I get has to be something in a step on to trigger, and really does have to be very cheap and rugged.

I used to use a jamman exactly for this - I found there was actually a slight delay when triggered so getting a sample to match in the middle of a song was a complete pain - Intros and stuff though were perfect - theres an optional pedal so you can move between patches mid song without bending down and twiddling knobs which worked well. Backing vocals these days I use a TC Helicon harmoniser - damn sight easier!

For intros it's going to be fine but trying to trigger something that needs to be in sync with the rest of the band mid-way through the song? Does you band always play the song at the same tempo every time and for a constant tempo throughout the song. If not then it will never sound right.

I use the JamMan Stereo. I have full backing track, samples and intros on it and you have a rhythm out which sends the metronome out to the drummer. You can move patches up/down and start/stop and using the software you can get the sample to fade out on the stop button or stop straight away, and also save the sample as a one shot or a loop. It's a great bit of kit.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1414676017' post='2592119']
It's the stereo I'm looking at, thought I could send an out to an AER alpha by the drummer, to give you an idea it's for things like the toy piano part in 'For What Its Worth' by Placebo, or to trigger the intro to running up that hill
[/quote]

Yep would work for that definitely