Why become a member? ×

Warwick dolphin pro 1, does not seem to slap the way it should. Slap set up advice required.

big rob

Hi All again,
Have not played slap bass for a few years now but have decided that it works great in a couple of current tunes, my other basses and my daughters all slap really well, however the one i really want to slap well my dolphin pro 1 seems to be muted when slapping the d and g strings. All is fine when finger picking with no sign of muting what so ever. However when i start to slap the strings are not singing.
Is this an issue with set up or nut height? i am at a loss, will continue to finger pick until i sort it.

Cheers
Rob

I'd look at your other basses to see how they differ in the action, in case they suggest something you might change on the Warwick. I know the usual advice is have the action as low as possible for slapping but if the G and D seem muted when you slap/pop them then that to me suggests note choking, meaning the saddles are a touch too low. There's no harm in raising the saddles a little to see if the sound improves (try turning the height adjustment screw a quarter of a turn, then test and repeat as necessary, keeping track of the number of turns made so you can bring it back to where it was if there's no improvement... at which point do the same the other way to lower the saddle just in case that works instead). HTH

To my mind, when you slap/pop and the string hits the fingerboard/frets beyond where you're fretting then maybe if the action is too low it'll hit more frets higher up the neck than when the action is a little higher. I would guess that saps energy from the string which you wouldn't experience when playing finger style because the string isn't bouncing against the higher frets?

• 2 weeks later...