Why become a member? ×

No output from P Bass with new scratchplate

Jono Bolton

I've just put a new scratchplate on my P Bass but there's no output coming from the jack socket. When I take the scratchplate off with all the wiring in place and plug in my tuner I get a signal, but once the plate's in place again there's nothing.

The control cavity and the rear of the scratchplate are shielded with copper tape, but I can't imagine that has anything to do with it (unless it works so well that it eliminates all noise!). With this P Bass I've always found that I have to force the scratchplate down, it doesn't just slot into place, and it arcs up where the pots are until I screw the plate down. Is it possible that the jack socket is touching the side of the cavity and causing it to cut out?

Almost certainly as above the jack socket but look out for the outer tags of both volume & tone where the white wire is also the legs of the cap, anything on the live side will kill the signal if it's in contact with the earthed shielding.

If all else fails - send me a picture of the pots/wiring & I'll have a looksee :)

Cheerz, John