Why become a member? ×

can I learn to slap on steel strings?

slumjacket

I've been playing DB since June, having been an electric player for years decided to take the plunge.

My teacher comes from a jazz background and we've been doing work on Arco and pizzicato, but I recently had a jam with a couple of friends I've played with in different bands and they're into bluegrass slap style playing.

I tried a couple of licks but found it tricky. My bass is strung with spirocores, they're nice and loud but have a fairly high tension, or at least I think they're high tension.

My question is, is it possible to really get good slap tone and chops with these strings or is it easier with gut or synthetic gut type strings, or is it just a case of practice???

It's probably just a case of practice, but string choice will make it easier, I'd say
I find slap style difficult on the DB, I must admit

It also depends on which Spirocore strings you have?
My db has Spirocore Weichs, and I find they're not too high tension, compared to other steel strings
I'm sure that most rockabilly style players use gut strings (or similar) for a reason

My last Db had Innovation Silver Slaps on, and they are lower tension again
Slapping was certainly easier with these strings
Though, I never really persisted with it - really wish I could do it though....

Let us know how you get on

cheers

If you're playing bluegrass, you probably do want steels as a lot of bluegrass is acoustic and you'll get more acoustic volume out of steels (typically). Likewise the slap you'll tend to find in bluegrass isn't all drag triplets and stuff, more a plucked note with the palm slap (or however you choose to do it) to punctuate the notes, tying in with the mandolin chops, fiddle or whatever. So steels are no harder than any other string for that, maybe better because you get a nice "click" rather than a "thunk".

If you're wanting to do loads of flashy slap stuff tho you'll probably find synthetic strings a lot easier on your fingers. Whether they're easier or not to do cool stuff with sort of depends. Steels set up low to the fingerboard can help you do some flashy, fast stuff maybe easier than you could on synthetics/guts, but personally I find it far easier to play big fat synthetic strings - I find them easier on my fingers, prefer the tone, prefer the price...

The only steels I've used are some random no-name ones and Jargar Dolces. Didn't like either for slap, I found it hard because I don't have the right technique - I'm used to a higher setup and a fatter string. But there are those who can do amazing stuff on Jargars, for example.

In short if it's bluegrass "slap" your after you may want to stick with steels. For fancier stuff, it's personal taste. Maybe buy Clarky's dirt cheap Gutalikes off the Classifieds and see if you prefer them to the Spirocores!

FYI, I just went to a Bluegrass tutorial weekend (Sorefingers) and the (excellent) bass guy, Ben Somers, slapped Spirocore mediums with no problem - but as AndyBass said he was not doing a triple rockabilly slaps, it was more your Folsom Prison type palm slapping for the most part and tastefully applied in small doses, rather than high octane slapping from start to finish

You can learn to slap on any string you like. The difference is purely the tone. Steels give you a more modern rockabilly sound, but then again Milt Hinton, the absolute slap master, slapped jazz on steels for decades. Guts and synthetics may be easier on your fingers but call for higher action and have a more traditional thump. Ultimately you cannot learn to slap well without investing in years of practice and a fair few bleeding blisters, that's a necessary requirement I'm afraid. Once you get it it's the coolest thing though... And you will get it, it's not rocket science; just practice.

Edited by Rabbie

Thanks Guys

Looks like a bit of practice is probably needed, obviously I'm still finding my way round the instrument but I reckon I'll experiment a bit and see how I go. I think a bit of tasteful slap here or there would probably be more my style but who knows I might get into it.

I occassionally slap and use Spirocore Solo steel strings tuned down to EADG. This will give a lower tension compared with Spirocore Weichs. It's all about practice and some people, like Djordje Stijepovic, can play fast triple slap on medium tension steel strings!

Edited by zero9