Why become a member? ×

Thomastik Infeld Flats

JamesBass

Just had a set put on my P by a Luthier friend and my word what a difference they make!

I had D'Addario EXL170BTs on the bass before the TI's and while they are lovely strings and have a nice tone and feel, they were just too bright for me, having used them for a while, I also became so used to that wonderfully thick and strong E, so going to a lighter gauge made me a little apprehensive as I thought I might loose that strong E but I haven't! The whole bass sounds better now! Utterly fantastic!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1414681428' post='2592200']
Just had a set put on my P by a Luthier friend and my word what a difference they make!

I had D'Addario EXL170BTs on the bass before the TI's and while they are lovely strings and have a nice tone and feel, they were just too bright for me, having used them for a while, I also became so used to that wonderfully thick and strong E, so going to a lighter gauge made me a little apprehensive as I thought I might loose that strong E but I haven't! The whole bass sounds better now! Utterly fantastic!
[/quote]

Awesome! What do you think of them in terms of playability? Getting on well with them? :)

I really like them, but sometimes I wish they came in different gauges so I could move up to some with the same tone and feel, but slightly more tension.

That said, I suppose the bandy feel is part of the reason they're so nice/easy to play.

[quote name='StringPing.com' timestamp='1415271301' post='2598551']

Awesome! What do you think of them in terms of playability? Getting on well with them? :)
[/quote]
Yeah they're stupidly easy to play, the tension felt no different to my EXLBTs to be honest so I've gotten on famously with them, I've also slightly lowered my action so it helps even more so! Don't think I'll move to ANY other brands!

[quote name='StringPing.com' timestamp='1415271301' post='2598551']

[/quote]
Yeah they're stupidly easy to play, the tension felt no different to my EXLBTs to be honest so I've gotten on famously with them, I've also slightly lowered my action so it helps even more so! Don't think I'll move to ANY other brands!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1415294750' post='2598936']
[/quote]

I suppose they are popular with BassChatters for a reason :lol: I've never tried them before (don't really have a bass that suits flat wounds), but I'm going to try them out now!

It's odd that they only make them in one gauge/tension. Given that Thomastik's more popular double bass strings come in several tension and scale length options I'm surprised they haven't considered it.
I liked the set of TI Jazz flats I had on a Westone fretless, though I found them a little too soft feeling for the way I play on fretted bass.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='StringPing.com' timestamp='1415355707' post='2599474']
I suppose they are popular with BassChatters for a reason :lol: I've never tried them before (don't really have a bass that suits flat wounds), but I'm going to try them out now!
[/quote]
Find a cheap P bass and slap a set of these on, give them a week to loose that "new string" sound and feel and then you'll wonder why you haven't used them before! I had a practice today with a Uni band and we play swing, jazz, bosa, blues, and soul style music and EVERYONE was telling me how much they love the tone I'm getting! There's so much warmth and thud from these strings but there is no loss to clarity up the register! Which is great for chucking in the odd harmonic or chord a la Mr Pino Palladino!
[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1415372795' post='2599731']
It's odd that they only make them in one gauge/tension. Given that Thomastik's more popular double bass strings come in several tension and scale length options I'm surprised they haven't considered it.
I liked the set of TI Jazz flats I had on a Westone fretless, though I found them a little too soft feeling for the way I play on fretted bass.
[/quote]
I do agree that it's strange they have the one set, but in a way I guess it means they can focus on getting these right every time! I have to admit, I did want to get a set that had a bit more to them under the fingers, but having played them solidly for a week or two I cannot complain about them at all! They feel great and the tone isn't sacrificed AT ALL for having a slightly lighter gauge!

I`ve never had a set of these, but have payed a good few basses that had them on, and liked how they played and the tone from them. I`ve read a lot about the relaxed tension but it didn`t bother me - in fact I didn`t really notice that much in comparison to my usual roto rounds. Think at some point will have to try a set out.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1415405458' post='2600140']
I`ve never had a set of these, but have payed a good few basses that had them on, and liked how they played and the tone from them. I`ve read a lot about the relaxed tension but it didn`t bother me - in fact I didn`t really notice that much in comparison to my usual roto rounds. Think at some point will have to try a set out.
[/quote]

They're on my Ric that you tried at the Bash

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1415407910' post='2600160']
They're on my Ric that you tried at the Bash
[/quote]

That`s one of the reasons why I`m going to have to try a set Sean, they felt so nice, plus sounded great as well. Just hope for the sake of my credit card I don`t feel the need to go and buy a Ric as well - as that is one darn fine bass you`ve got there.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1415437480' post='2600252']
That`s one of the reasons why I`m going to have to try a set Sean, they felt so nice, plus sounded great as well. Just hope for the sake of my credit card I don`t feel the need to go and buy a Ric as well - as that is one darn fine bass you`ve got there.
[/quote]

Thanks Loz

Just stuck a set on my P deluxe. Had a set of Fatbeams on before, but no adjustment to truss rod required and no floppy feel that everyone talks about. Nice feel and agree about playing in the upper register, and no clanking on the frets. Tempted to stick a set on my Ray, but I'll maybe leave rounds on for now so I have a rocky bass as well.
Iain

[quote name='yanto' timestamp='1415449135' post='2600423']
Just stuck a set on my P deluxe. Had a set of Fatbeams on before, but no adjustment to truss rod required and no floppy feel that everyone talks about. Nice feel and agree about playing in the upper register, and no clanking on the frets. Tempted to stick a set on my Ray, but I'll maybe leave rounds on for now so I have a rocky bass as well.
Iain
[/quote]
Glad they're working out for you, I think people have a strange sense of feel for these strings, especially if they go from some more tense strings. I happened to come to the TI's after playing some fairly low tension D'Addario EXL170BTs for a good number of years so the transition has been made easy for me.

If anyone is looking to get some flats, then as long as you can afford them then get them! They have an awesome feeling under the fingers, the tone is even and full across all strings and registers!

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1415431896' post='2600207']
Wouldn't mind trying a set on my fretless 5 string but I notice the "B" is a 136 gauge, I don't fancy taking a file to the nut only to find a woolly B string. Has anyone tried a set on a 35" five string bass?
[/quote]

I use them on my 5 string Marleaux. It's a 34 scale and sounds nice and deep.

[quote name='fun size nick' timestamp='1416215600' post='2607893']
Welcome to the [s]cult[/s] club :D

I love these strings - and I love that I dont have to change them but for every 5 years or so (I think the pollution here gets into them...they should last longer!) - it changed my life!
[/quote]

Dust and other detritus can settle on the strings and dull their tone. More-so with round wounds, where it's hard to effectively clean the tiny spaces between the winds.