Why become a member? ×

Play of the Day : ‘Spare A Copper For An Old Steam Tramp..?’, from Dad3353...

Dad3353

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:174869][size=4] Good evening, all...[/size]
I have decided to promote, each in turn, the compositions presented in the monthly BC Composition Challenge. I shall give my own, personal, view of the piece, in the hope that at least some will be inspired to give the work a listen, and perhaps a vote as their favourite. All the pieces can be heard here...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248026-october-composition-challenge-voting/"]BC October Composition Challenge voting...[/url]

... and the 'Play of the Day' here ...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/spare-a-copper-for-an-old-steam-tramp"]‘Spare A Copper For An Old Steam Tramp..?’, Dad3353...[/url]

Eery whistlings precede a hefty echoing groan, then another, and an expression of pained surprise as a mechanical rhythm is introduced; a cross between a steam engine and a metal workshop. A lone piano strikes up a slow melody; the whistling mounts and abates whilst the beat continues unperturbed. The piano repeats, joined by a cello playing its own close counter melody, and more agonising groans. The ambiance shifts slightly, despite the continued steam shuffle, as creaking provokes more complaints. The whistling comes and goes, as does the agonising. The melody comes back, this time played by a brass ensemble. The groaning and creaking persist as the brass comes to resolution, and fade slowly away accompanied by the omnipresent rhythm.
There is suffering expressed, largely ignored by the surrounding continium of activity. Some helplessness, an attempt to move, with little result. An un-caring world follows its own course with little or no regard for the vain struggle to survive of the Colossus. Its moment of glory passed, no-one will spare a moment to help an aging automaton.

The previous review was...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248255-play-of-the-day-the-difference-engine-from-leonard-smalls/"]Play of the Day : ‘The Difference Engine’, from Leonard Smalls...[/url]

Thanks for reading

Have a nice day

Douglas

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1414684657' post='2592242']
shameless self promotion :o
[/quote][size=3]
Mwahahahah... :laugh1:[size=4] [/size][/size]
[size=3]
[size=4]I've removed your one. :mellow:[/size][/size]

[size=3]
[size=4]([i]Not really[/i]..! :blush: )[/size][/size]