Why become a member? ×

Shipping a bass safely from UK to the USA. Best courier?

Karl Derrick

I would like to beg your indulgence and pick your collective brain :)

I was fortunate enough to pick up a Kubicki Ex Factor from a member here recently.

I need some work done on it, and want to ship it back to Mike at Kubicki to do it. I don't think there's anyone better to do it than the people that make them.

The question is, which is the best company to ship it with?

I know I need a shipping carnet to be able to re-import without gettting hit up for tax and duty.

Can you guys suggest a courier company who will carry the bass, fully insured, safely, quickly and reliably?

Many thanks,

Karl

There is no 'best' courier. To me the best one is the one who manages to successfully deliver the latest parcel i've sent.

When they are good they are good but when they are bad they are very, very bad.

Just pick one that suits your price and schedule etc and hope for the best!

It doesn't sound like you're having anything done that the Gallery wouldn't be able to do really well. Martin is one of the best luthiers in the country.

He used to work on my old one and always did a fantastic job.

I'd definitely agree that having an instrument set up in the US and then shipped back is a bit of a false economy as being bumped around in transit and the extremes in temperature can effect the set up a fair bit - although some instruments survive really well and can come out of the case sounding great after a trans-Atlantic flight.

Did you mean Martin worked on your Ex Factor?

One of the reasons I was thinking of sending the bass back to Kubicki is that I'm keen that whoever does the work is familiar with the design.

It'll save me a load of money to have it done here.

I talked to someone at the Gallery, and I'm going to take it in for a consultation.

Many thanks everyone :)

Karl