Why become a member? ×

DB/EUB Conundrum

ChunkyMunky

I've got around £700 to play around with and I really want to be able to learn upright and play live. The main situations I can think of would be for either musical theatre or playing live (in a jazz context, for example) and naturally, I'm tied between the two. I'm either looking at an acoustic upright or an NS EUB with an endpin. How would the two compare? The two have their inevitable advantages but I'd honestly really like to hear what everyone else thinks on the matter. Thanks for reading! :)

I was in a similar position to you, all be it with less money, and I went for an EUB.
The key decider was that I couldn't afford a double bass and a new car too.
There are people who seem to manage a DB in the smallest of cars but I usually have to transport some PA and other band members as well as me and my stuff.
So, as well as other things, don't forget transportation (and storage) issues.

Anything goes these days, and there is no shame in rolling up with an eub to any jam.

An eub, especially an NS, and an acoustic double bass are as similar as night and day. Both are vertical, but that's about it. Playing an NS is more akin to a vertical electric fretless and is fairly easy to adapt to. A db is a different beast altogether and will require much more practice and effort.

Edited by zero9

This is a no brainer for me, I am afraid, and I apologise if my position offends anyone.

It has to be a double bass. EUBs are not double basses and do not really sound much like a double bass; as zero says, a vertical fretless about sums it up. If you buy an EUB, you will still hanker for a double bass. If you buy a double bass, you will forget about EUBs in an instant and never consider the option again. All the convenience issues are shallow victories. You want a double bass and all that playing one brings. So buy a double bass. Everything else will leave you feeling that you have sold yourself short.

As others have said, an EUB isn't really a double bass....

I thought about buying a double bass for a while, but didn't have pretty much any knowledge or experience of DB at all
Then I chanced upon a Stagg EUB, and it was a great price
..... so I went for it

Since that day, I haven't looked back, because it gave me an insight into the world of DB
Although it didn't sound too much like a DB, or play too much like one
it gave me some experience of playing, and convinced me to go ahead and get an acoustic DB

It's true that generally, inconveniences of the bulk, weight, transport issues etc etc
are outweighed by the sound, quality & "feel" of an acoustic DB
But I still use an EUB for some occasions;
Unpaid / charity gigs, and rehearsals for instance

I wouldn't say that buying an EUB now will leave you feeling you have sold yourself short
I'd say it could be an invaluable step in the right direction
Even if you find you don't like playing EUB - you have learned something!

From my experience of being where you were about 2 1/2 years ago
I'd say, try a second-hand Stagg. They're cheap, and you'd get your money back if you decide
DB is not for you, or you want to upgrade...
Sure, it may not be the best EUB, and it certainly isn't a "proper" DB
But it could also teach you a lot

Also, if you buy an acoustic DB and decide either it's not for you, or you want to upgrade -
Acoustic DB's tend to be harder to sell on

Be prepared though - after 6 months or so, you may have severe GAS for something more upmarket

I have a lovely David Gage DB,
and recently upgraded my EUB
..... and there will definitely be a place for both in my household

Good luck, and enjoy the journey
Let us know what you decide / how you get on

When I started out, I did briefly order and try out a Stagg, a Palatino/Harley Benton, and an Aria SWB Lite, and found that they all moved around a lot when playing standing up. I won't comment on the sound because I haven't tried an EUB with decent strings and a good amp.
Then I picked up a used/seasoned acoustic Stentor 1950 for under £400, put some good strings on, and have used that as my pub gig mainstay for over three years. For me, whatever DB you can afford, learning to coax out that amazing acoustic sound from a DB is what it's all about...

Anyone had experience in the pits or anything like a musical theatre? The only benefit I could think of regarding an EUB would be for portability and size (I'm in a studio flat, there's that to consider too). I'm leaning towards a bona-fide and actual upright by a country mile. Thanks for all of the answers so far, everyone. :)

I love my Stagg but for a decent stage the DB wins everytime imo :)
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/20141031_223856_zpsqvfi0rnc.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/20141031_223856_zpsqvfi0rnc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

An EUB is a practical thing there's no doubt e.g. I have a gig in Switzerland end of the month so EUB will be used for obvious reasons.
That aside, when you play DB you are playing an instrument, you learn it's nuances and you learn to make it sound etc etc so I think to a certain extent that makes a difference to your growth as a musician
I'm not saying that's not possible on EUB I just think DB is a more natural choice when considering those things.

It's gotta be a Double Bass.

If it was me I would use that £700 to buy a Gedo Musik plywood bass from Germany. I bought one 6 months ago as a backup bass and it's great. Solid build and the tone's pretty good too. I think these basses are great value for money when you compare them to some of the plywood basses available in the UK. This is the sort of thing...

http://www.gedo-musik.de/shop/product.php?id_product=674

I think shipping to the UK was an extra 100 Euros. Any money you have left over could be spent on better strings and a simple piezo pickup. Then you're ready for your first Double Bass gig :)

If your gut feeling is DB, rather than EUB
then go for it....
I've not tried one of those Geddo basses
but everything I've heard about them has been good

One thing though, EUB is more portable and convenient, for sure
I sold my Stagg, and there were several weeks before I bought another EUB
and I have to say, I didn't half miss having the convenience of an EUB....
In an ideal world - we'd all have room / money for both
Mrs S is incredibly understanding - but don't tell her I said that ;)

Good luck, whichever bass you go for - and we can't wait to see pics now....

Edited by Marc S

I have played decent DBs and own a cr*p one, and have recently bought a NS Design NXT5. I am a bass guitar player who has tried to move on to DB, and have not had formal training. I have found that my intonation technique in terms of finding notes without looking has improved dramatically since playing the NS. Whether it is the correct technique is another matter!

Most comments at gigs so far have been of puzzlement and compliments - mainly as it is a bit of a novelty. You do get the odd nose turn up at it not being the real thing, but I find that is often from the type of people who are more about style than substance. For me, it is fantastic to play, sounds close enough to a DB for me to feel I'm almost one of the boys and is light and portable. It is sitting next to me in my office at work after I carried it in on the train this morning. It was in its "over the shoulder" bag and could sit on a seat with it without taking up half a carriage (I have a rehearsal in London tonight).

I also find the great thing is being able to set it up in playing position and be able to walk off and leave it without worrying about it falling over or where to put it.

As for the theatre pit thing, I would have thought that you don't save that much space as height is usually the key dimension and you still need space to play it. However, I did a pit gig last year with my DB and needed extra space to lie it down when switching to guitar, so maybe there is something in it!

As for the OP - I see you're in Sussex like me - I'd be happy for you to arrange a meet and you could try my NXT5 if it helps you?

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1415110186' post='2596765']
I have played decent DBs and own a cr*p one, and have recently bought a NS Design NXT5.......

Most comments at gigs so far have been of puzzlement and compliments - mainly as it is a bit of a novelty. You do get the odd nose turn up at it not being the real thing, but I find that is often from the type of people who are more about style than substance. For me, it is fantastic to play, sounds close enough to a DB for me to feel I'm almost one of the boys and is light and portable. It is sitting next to me in my office at work after I carried it in on the train this morning. It was in its "over the shoulder" bag and could sit on a seat with it without taking up half a carriage (I have a rehearsal in London tonight).

I also find the great thing is being able to set it up in playing position and be able to walk off and leave it without worrying about it falling over or where to put it........

[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about the type who turn their noses up
If you enjoy playing it, and it sounds close to a DB - then it does what you want it to,
and it's nice to play...

A good point, re the NS Design stand
It's nice, not to have to carry an additional stand,
and I find it's quite relaxing, to play an instrument that is supported for you
Again, there are those who don't like this
but I play both DB and EUB, and I do...... so there ;) lol

I own both. I started on EUB and now have a DB. As everyone else has said, if your gut says DB then do that, the EUB is not the same instrument. However, I learned to play on EUB and I feel it was a great thing to do, enough of a DB feel, easy to play, no feedback and able to plug in headphones for late night playing when the kids are asleep and had the benefit of being able to (in my case) of folding it up and putting into a gig bag for storage. I now have a DB too so he EB doesn't get played as much,and I do prefer it, but it is a pain to take to rehearsals, a pain with feedback (so I have now gone with magnetic pickups which kind of defeats the object) and a pain to store in my office. But it looks ace compared to a fibreglass plank with strings...
If I had my time again,I would get the DB first and for gigs, then still get the EUB for everyday convenience.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1415117083' post='2596877']
I wouldn't worry about the type who turn their noses up
If you enjoy playing it, and it sounds close to a DB - then it does what you want it to,
and it's nice to play...
[/quote]

I think that was the point I was trying to make to the OP :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415136945' post='2597183']
My eub always gets a good response from the audience but I don't do theatre or pit work.
[/quote]

An EUB may not look as cool as a DB to us
but, funnily enough, when I've played live with an EUB,
I seem to get more questions & comments from people in the audience.....

Got to decide what sound you want, I think it's the same for all instruments. You would not buy an electric guitar in the hope that it sounds like an acoustic. Same goes for electric or acoustic drums, piano and wind instruments. They all have their place within music but they all have their own sound. If you want the DB sound you have get a DB.

Edited by Buzzy