Why become a member? ×

Tuning 5-string basses to A

AndThenSome1

Hi guys,

One of my musical projects currently leads me to be using a 5 string, and have it tuned down a whole step (ADGCF). My Musicman Stingray sounds excellent but has a little difficulty articulating anything below the 7th fret or so on the A-string.

Does anybody use a similar tuning on a 34" scale bass, and if so, how do you keep the 5 from getting too flappy and still stay punchy?

Would anybody recommend looking at using a 35" scale bass, and if so, any suggestions around the £500 (second hand) mark? This would be a backup bass primarily and only used for a few songs, so doesn't have to be the same calibre as my Stingray.

Has anybody tried the DR Drop-tune strings for 5s?

Cheers,
Martyn

I've been in bands previously where I used Drop G# and found it was pretty decent sounding on (my then bass) Warwick Corvette which is 34". I also found an ACG that I owned briefly to have a fantastic low B (tuned to Bb) but that's out of budget. I would say Warwicks would be worth a look as they can be picked up for under £500 second hand. If considering the 35" scale Lakland 55-01 have fantastic B strings.

I can't really say anything about the DR strings except I've only read good reviews. I found Elixirs to be very punchy on all strings.

All about string tension.

Currently have a 34" scale 4 string tuned to Drop E/Drop Eb (one octave below normal E on a 4 string) and there have been talks (which I've hushed but they keep coming back!) of finding the brown note of low C#...

I find the lower you go, the more you need to work on it. And shape your tone to match, cutting the excessive low lows and dialling in the right mids to still stay articulate.

For reference I use between a .100 and a .110 for a standard E on a 4 string (.110 is my preferred in standard tuning), with a .130/.135 for a low B and in Drop A use a .140. For A standard I like .140/ for the A and .115 for the D.

+1

I have found .135 strings working well for A on a 34" scale. I have also found that strings with tapered end gave me slightly more pronounced sound.
I is all now not an issue with my Spector 5 string (35" scale)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1414724811' post='2592721']
All about string tension.

Currently have a 34" scale 4 string tuned to Drop E/Drop Eb (one octave below normal E on a 4 string) and there have been talks (which I've hushed but they keep coming back!) of finding the brown note of low C#...

I find the lower you go, the more you need to work on it. And shape your tone to match, cutting the excessive low lows and dialling in the right mids to still stay articulate.

For reference I use between a .100 and a .110 for a standard E on a 4 string (.110 is my preferred in standard tuning), with a .130/.135 for a low B and in Drop A use a .140. For A standard I like .140/ for the A and .115 for the D.
[/quote]

You could speak to Newtone strings, they could wind strings to your requirements, using a thicker core than usual for better tension etc.
Dreadbass on here gets custom sets for his ACG basses, he goes down to E, the E below low E that is!
Would be a lot cheaper to try a custom set than buy a new bass...

Eude

Can only say from experience, i used to use .145 tapered for drop A on a corvette and it sounded very clear. I know Amos Williams uses .145 for an A on 34" also. I remember looking at the DR DDT 5's at the time and was surprised the "heavy" set only goes to .135 but didn't try them so cant really comment.

Adding a single inch to the overall scale length does virtually nothing unless you prefer the feel of the wider spaced frets.

Getting a decent sound out of strings tuned below E is all about the construction of the bass and picking the right gauge and construction.

Bear in mind that the average difference in gauge between adjacent strings is 20-25 and IMO the lower you go the larger that difference should be in order to maintain even compliance, I would say that a low B should be around 130 and if you are going to tune down another tone then 140 would be a good starting point. As others have said taper wound strings generally improve matters (although not always - it depends on the bass).

But the biggest factor is the actual construction of the bass. IME this means getting one with a set or through neck construction. Also I have yet to find a 5-string bass, of any scale length, with a new retail price of under £1000 that has a decent sounding and feeling low B.

I've just sold an Ibanez SR1005EFM that has a really good B string and I believe its new price was under 1000 GBP.
That bass is 34", neck through and has decent woods. So there are exceptions but I have to agree that higher build and material quality will yield better B sound

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1414750024' post='2592832']

Also I have yet to find a 5-string bass, of any scale length, with a new retail price of under £1000 that has a decent sounding and feeling low B.
[/quote]

As others have said it's mainly down to the string gauge, there are some helpful sites to help with this, here's a good one: [url="http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf"]http://www.daddario....chart_13934.pdf[/url], and another easier to use one http://www.stringbusters.com/stringfaqs.asp#Calculator. If you do the equations you'll see that to get the same tension at A that you would get when tuned to B you need to step your string gauge by (perhaps) more than you may think. You really want something like a .145 to have comparable tension.

As for the scale length: A 35" with a .130 B string will give you similar tension to a 34" with .135. So you can go around .5 lighter on a 35". This obviously isn't the whole story as there is more to it when you take into account perceived tension/stiffness which can vary over different brands and type of string. But in short, you need a heavier gauge set of strings! :)

Edited by Manton Customs

I hate floppy strings. After reading this, I've tuned my five string to CFA#D#G#. Tension feels better, and it's now nicer to play. Not sure that I'll keep it that way however. But from what's written here, it looks easier to get better tension by tuning up, rather than switching to what would have to be higher gauge strings.

Edited by Annoying Twit

You could always tune a 6 string with a bottom F#. As it happens I have one for sale here

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247625-harley-benton-bz-6000-6-string-neck-through/page__hl__harley+benton__fromsearch__1

Pretty crass huh? :)

But seriously, even if you don't want to go 6 string the Harley Benton BZ basses are 35" scale, neck through and cheap as chips. If you have ever bought anything from Thomann you can do a review and get 5 Euros off per review. You can do 10 reviews.

I just tuned it down one tone and ignored the super bottom string to give you a taste of it at bottom A.[attachment=175220:Bottom A.mp3]

Newtone strings on it cos I needed a set with a bottom F# which blended with the rest. I asked for round cores cos they are more flexible and I like that, so I am sure they could do ones which are tighter.

Edited by owen