Why become a member? ×

Drummers can be useful...

jonnythenotes

Something you might want to try folks.... When your drummer has finished unpacking his kit, and left all his drum bags lying around, instead of getting cheesed off coz you can't move without tripping over them... Pick em up and put them in the corner behind your rig. Bung your soft amp and cab cover there as well ( if you have them .) Bass loves booming in corners, and none more so than the one you end up in as a bass player at smaller gigs. If you do this, it effectively kills this corner off, and removes that chronic rumble you get from having bass frequencies trapped in your corner. Also, on my wife's quest for a perfect 18 year olds body, she bought a gym mat, which also come with me to gigs. Folded in half, sit your rig on top of this, and with the squashy drum cases,you have created a ' dead room' effect for you to play in. A word of caution tho...do not fold the gym mat to much as it will cause your rig to wobble a bit...especially if you have a tall stack set up.....Run the excess foam up the back of your cabs to help kill off that corner boom. So before you go lashing out on expensive sound deadening systems, try this...it really works, and it's free....

But then you'll also get drummers who will insist on putting their empty casesd away in their own 'special' way. I'm happy to help ours out when he needs it but tbh even if I wait until he's fully set up before I start on my rig I'm invariably still hanging around ready to go long before the singer/2nd guitarist has finished pissing about tuning up.

RE: The gym mat. I look at Auralex pads to decouple the amp from wooden stages but put it on the backburner as they are £70-80. At a classic car show I found a stall selling hard foam mechanics pads (for kneeling on and the like). £3.50 and works really well isolating the amp and cutting down on the boom.