Why become a member? ×

Wicked bass solo... on Radio 1 ! :)

Paul Galbraith

Bass-a-holics,

I was sitting in a car with one of my builders the other night about 7pm & suddenly heard a wicked bass solo on the radio - complete WTF moment, was desperate to listen to it again, my builder said it was Radio 1 we were listening to...

So when I got home I jumped on the Radio 1 website, found the show listened to it & Shazam'ed the track ... listen to 3:15 onwards... :

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jltN3fLFmTQ"]https://www.youtube....h?v=jltN3fLFmTQ[/url] - [font=arial, sans-serif]Kendrick Lamar's new single called ' i '[/font]

[b] * A radio play chart track with a bad boy bass solo - OMFG !!! :gas:[/b]

Enjoy B)

Edited by Paul Galbraith

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1414768182' post='2593144']
I found the whole thing quite distasteful if I'm honest. I don't really see what the bass solo added to an already weak song. :unsure:

Just one person's opinion though.
[/quote]

I'm embarrassed to say I started with the intention of listening to the entire piece - but had to skip to the last minute. Can't listen to that, even if the bass is promising.
Nice to have the bass at the outro - but can't compensate for that vocal. Not what I'd call good by any definition.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1414768624' post='2593154']
I'm embarrassed to say I started with the intention of listening to the entire piece - but had to skip to the last minute.
[/quote]
My Nan was a bit like that when as a nipper i'd force here to hear the latest vinyl offering from those cheeky mop topped lads from Liverpool. I'd put the first track on but within seconds she'd ask me to put the needle on the last few grooves. :D

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1414768624' post='2593154']
I'm embarrassed to say I started with the intention of listening to the entire piece - but had to skip to the last minute. Can't listen to that, even if the bass is promising.
Nice to have the bass at the outro - but can't compensate for that vocal. Not what I'd call good by any definition.
[/quote]

What do you want? Some old crooning bastard like Paul Rogers on it or summat?

Not digging it is cool but saying it's crap because you can't understand it is unclassy.

I wasn't that keen on the solo to be honest, I liked the tune though.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1414788978' post='2593425']
What do you want? Some old crooning bastard like Paul Rogers on it or summat?

Not digging it is cool but saying it's crap because you can't understand it is unclassy.

[/quote]

To be fair I did say "Not what [b]I'd[/b] call good by any definition" - it's not crap - it's just not at all to my taste!

P.S. Had to look up who Paul Rogers was! Not my cup of tea either - I'd much prefer somethin' like this: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7Q1OAzITM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7Q1OAzITM[/url]

I really don't like Rap but i do like a bit of Hip Hop but think that the op made the same old mistake that many others before here on BC of posting something that isn't Prog Rock or by Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, ELO and 40 years old.

Despite being 60 i'm glad to say that my ears are always open to new music and that music didn't come to a grinding halt for me after Dark Side Of The Moon or Stairway To Bloody Heaven. :lol:

Edited by BetaFunk

[b]What do you want? Some old crooning bastard like Paul Rogers on it or summat?

[/quote][/b]
That's a bit harsh.I usually like your contributions ,so maybe you are having a bad day. :)

He doesn't say it's "crap" just that he "wouldn't call it good"...I agree,I don't like it and I didn't like the solo either....I like Paul Rogers (well the two "OLD" bands he sang with)...doesn't make me right and you wrong, just means we like different music.

Edited by Raymondo

What do you want? Some old crooning bastard like Paul Rogers (sic) on it or summat?

[/quote]
Not digging Paul Rodgers is cool, but saying he's a 'crooning bastard' just because he's been round the block a couple of times is unclassy.

Loved it except for the guys voice - bass solo was excellent - I would have been shocked if I'd heard that on radio 1 as well!! Cool change when the sequence changes on the breakdown.

Sounds a bit Jaco-esque - possibly a fretless - if it's a keyboard it doesn't sound like one!! Too many bass guitarisms in there - I've heard that bass sound before - Gerald Veasley/Jimmy Haslip?

Who's that guy you're on about - Paul Rogers? Oo I remember now - he fronted a band I went to see in 1971 - fabulous 3 piece with an upfront bass sound - so impressed was I that I went to see them another 4 times!!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1415142715' post='2597275']
Sounds a bit Jaco-esque - possibly a fretless - if it's a keyboard it doesn't sound like one!! Too many bass guitarisms in there - I've heard that bass sound before - Gerald Veasley/Jimmy Haslip?
[/quote]
Sounds like the bass solo could well be Demonterious Lawrence (aka Detoxxx). He has played bass for Kendrick Lamar on previous recordings as had Stephen 'Thundercat' Bruner. Both are top bass players in Hip Hop.

Not bad bad for an old fella eh? :D

Why don't 'the kids' on here know this stuff?

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1415200517' post='2597799']

Sounds like the bass solo could well be Demonterious Lawrence (aka Detoxxx). He has played bass for Kendrick Lamar on previous recordings as had Stephen 'Thundercat' Bruner. Both are top bass players in Hip Hop.

Not bad bad for an old fella eh? :D

Why don't 'the kids' on here know this stuff?
[/quote]

Hip hop drums and bass often have great groove. As for youngsters - haven't got a clue - my children have always opened my mind to new music - unfortunately so great is the groundswell of general pop muso centricity towards 60s and late 60s/early 70s rock music that seeing under 30 year olds basing their entire musical style around it is very common. Free rarely gets past All Right Now - Deep Purple, Black Knight etc. Extremely sad. That music is great but is 40 - 50 yrs old.