Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* USA G&L SB-2 (1983) + Godin Hard Case
£575

discreet

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]*SOLD* USA G&L SB-2 (1983) + Godin Hard Case[/b]

[color=#282828]Did [i]not[/i] think I'd [i]ever [/i]be selling this (despite not liking the colour) and especially so soon. However, I have to amass some folding and needs must. But my loss will be someone else's gain, for sure. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]What we have up for grabs here is a vintage G&L SB-2 built in Fullerton California USA in 1983, and very nice it is too. It is in excellent original condition and has not been messed with. Everything is stock and works as it should. [/color][color=#282828]These are quite rare instruments, as firstly they were never produced in huge numbers, and secondly they were only produced for a short time between the end of 1982 until 1984.[/color]

[color=#282828]They were marketed as part of G&L's 'budget' line at the time, though the quality of the build and the hardware was no different to the more up-market models. Corners were cut (or not!) by using a very simple design and a slab body; there is a basic radius rout around the periphery of the body, but no contours. They have since (quite rightly) gained something of a reputation as players' basses and are sought-after by players and collectors alike.[/color]

[color=#282828]1983 was during 'the George and Leo time' at G&L, so arguably this G&L is more 'Fender' than the CBS basses from that time. It has been well-used; there are typical checking patterns in the paint, thumb-wear where you'd expect to see it and flaws in the finish that are consistent with a thirty-year-old instrument. Very nice fit in the pocket, and the maple neck has gone a very nice honey colour, too.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]Another unusual feature is the G&L patented 'Bi-Cut' truss-rod insertion method - [/color][color=#282828]the neck blank is split longitudinally, channeled and truss rod inserted. Then the two halves are glued and pressed together and the blank is shaped. The advantage to this is less warping and twisting of the neck. Here's the gen from G&L (paragraph 5):[/color]

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/features/neck.asp"]http://www.glguitars...atures/neck.asp[/url]

[color=#282828]So what's it like? Well... first impression is that it's light (8.7lbs) and powerful. I generally like to have both pickups on the go and with both selected this bass really chucks it out. It's a tone monster, too. More so than my Hayman, which is saying a great deal. Not as wide at the nut (I'd say 41.3mm), but definitely not Jazz-thin. Not as chunky either, but then not many necks are. I'd say it was similar to a P neck... maybe just a little less so. It's one of the most powerful passive basses I've played. Feels lovely in your hands too, like an old friend. Very easy to play and has that vintage 'feel' which is hard to describe.[/color]

I paid £650 for it less than three weeks ago. I'm looking for [b]£575 posted[/b] via bank transfer for a quick sale. Price includes a plush-lined fitted Godin hard case and despatch via an appropriate tracked and signed-for method. bass is strung with brand new Satus Hotwires Half-Wounds 45-105. Item will be well packed. I will PM the buyer tracking information and an ETA. My feedback is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/154659-discreet/"]here[/url].[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]Get yourself a genuine non-CBS more-Fender-than-Fender Leo-made vintage bass for not much cash! :)[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]OK, enough!! Pics:[/color][/font][/size]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I thank you! :)[/font][/color]

Edited by discreet