Why become a member? ×

PayPal Problems

ash

Yes those three dreaded little Ps again!
This time I've been waiting far too long for a partial refund to plonk into my account. Refunded on the 20th Oct - seller sends an email informing me its been refunded and left his account. I get an email from PayPal saying the refund has taken place. I check my account balance - it's at zero - I check the payment details for said refund 'Pending until Oct 27th. Ok a week fair enough....however I'm still waiting! Have contacted seller who sent a screenshot of the transaction details at his end I contacted PayPal three times by email to get automated emails that said nothing of relevance. Today I tried ringing several of their provided numbers and guess what? 'The number you have dialled has not been recognised' ....???!!! So then I tried to send an email complaint but it didn't let me sign the declaration at the end and kept sending me into an endless loop of redirected pages. I gave up. :(
Any ideas or similar experiences?

Sorry to hear this Ash. I've had similar crap from them to the point where I'll have nothing to do with them (except for very small transactions). Problem is that PayPal is not a proper bank and don't have to abide by the usual banking regulations - so they are a law unto themselves. They (and eBay) are tantamount to criminal organisations in my book and should be investigated by the proper authorities. No help to you though, sorry for the rant! :)

If you pay via a credit or debit card then it goes straight back to the source of the payment, it may not show as credit in your Paypal account. At least that's how it's shown in mine the couple of times I've had refunds from them.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1414765100' post='2593095']
Sorry to hear this Ash. I've had similar crap from them to the point where I'll have nothing to do with them (except for very small transactions). Problem is that PayPal is not a proper bank and don't have to abide by the usual banking regulations - so they are a law unto themselves. They (and eBay) are tantamount to criminal organisations in my book and should be investigated by the proper authorities. No help to you though, sorry for the rant! :)
[/quote]

I totally agree.

I'm on the verge of having my Paypal account limited, whatever that means. Just because I've received over a certain amount in the last year. They want me to send them a copy of my passport, as if that's going to happen :)

I've only phoned them once about something a couple of years ago, I'm sure it was a cleaner who answered my call.

:)

I don't think it's gone to my bank account as it was a partial refund and I paid from my PayPal balance. I haven't used the account subsequently because I prefer to use PayPal as a 'float' so I don't use my bank account directly - that's because I've never really trusted them!
Still trying to find a working phone number for them too - like many modern companies they pontificate about customer service and transparent working practices but remain as opaque as a pint of Guinness and as user friendly as an iPad with no screen.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1414765100' post='2593095']
[/quote]

Totally agree, I refuse to have anything to do with paypal whatsoever.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1414764877' post='2593092']
Yes those three dreaded little Ps again!
This time I've been waiting far too long for a partial refund to plonk into my account. Refunded on the 20th Oct - seller sends an email informing me its been refunded and left his account. I get an email from PayPal saying the refund has taken place. I check my account balance - it's at zero - I check the payment details for said refund 'Pending until Oct 27th. Ok a week fair enough....however I'm still waiting! Have contacted seller who sent a screenshot of the transaction details at his end I contacted PayPal three times by email to get automated emails that said nothing of relevance. Today I tried ringing several of their provided numbers and guess what? 'The number you have dialled has not been recognised' ....???!!! So then I tried to send an email complaint but it didn't let me sign the declaration at the end and kept sending me into an endless loop of redirected pages. I gave up. :(
Any ideas or similar experiences?
[/quote]

This is the problem. I encountered the same problem when I got a refund from a transaction (because delivery to NI was going to cost an extra £30!) a couple of months ago (June, I believe). It took a couple of weeks, but it did eventually come through, and all the angry emails I sent them never got a proper response from somebody (or something) that could understand what I was actually saying. Just automated responses which made promises of a proper response, but none was ever forthcoming.

I suppose what I'm saying is sit tight and hope they make good on their refund. Then resolve to avoid it like a plague.

If you pay a seller and he transfers it his bank account leaving no funds in his paypal account it takes at least five working days for the payment to be returned. As I understand it this can be extended further in certain circumstances for example if you made the original payment directly from your bank account via paypal and not from funds held in your paypal account (ironically Ash this is what had happened to me when I was trying to buy that lovely old slab Precision body you had for sale). The only reason for all of this is to allow Paypal/banks to make shed loads of interest on tens of millions of pounds caught up in transactions at any one point in time of course, but they're businesses and that what businesses do I guess.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1414770793' post='2593181']

This is the problem. I encountered the same problem when I got a refund from a transaction (because delivery to NI was going to cost an extra £30!) a couple of months ago (June, I believe). It took a couple of weeks, but it did eventually come through, and all the angry emails I sent them never got a proper response from somebody (or something) that could understand what I was actually saying. Just automated responses which made promises of a proper response, but none was ever forthcoming.

I suppose what I'm saying is sit tight and hope they make good on their refund. Then resolve to avoid it like a plague.
[/quote]

Thanks that's reassuring. :) It's not a great deal of money but I was rather angry at the seller who sold me a cosmetically damaged amp and then more or less accused me of lying about the issue. It's an eBay item of course but the window of opportunity for any resolution is rapidly approaching so I'm worrying in case the refund 'bounces', the seller says 'tough luck' and eBay says its outside their return policy time limitations. Hopefully that won't happen.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1414771231' post='2593185']
Thanks that's reassuring. :) It's not a great deal of money but I was rather angry at the seller who sold me a cosmetically damaged amp and then more or less accused me of lying about the issue. It's an eBay item of course but the window of opportunity for any resolution is rapidly approaching so I'm worrying in case the refund 'bounces', the seller says 'tough luck' and eBay says its outside their return policy time limitations. Hopefully that won't happen.
[/quote]

When is the latest you can put in a dispute?

You should maybe dispute it, just in case, and then once the refund comes through, cancel your dispute? I know it's not very fair on the seller (assuming everything they have done is right), but it's one way to protect yourself.

It doesn't matter how much money it is - that's your money. It rubs on me when people say "Ah but it was only a fiver", yeah, but it was my fiver that somebody else now has.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1414772080' post='2593191']

It doesn't matter how much money it is - that's your money. It rubs on me when people say "Ah but it was only a fiver", yeah, but it was my fiver that somebody else now has.
[/quote]

I agree absolutely- it's the principle! The seller has been reasonable I emailed him again today to ask if he could check again at his end.

While on the subject of Paypal it's worth remembering the protection you have as a buyer. I payed for something as a 'gift' (not connected with ebay) and never received the goods. I trusted the person so sent the money as a gift therefore i have no chance of having that payment refunded. Totally my fault but it has taught me a valuable lesson in that i will never pay for goods that way again. Even if it's here on Basschat and the seller insists on a 'gift' payment. In that case it will be a definite 'no sale'. Once bitten as they say.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1415308360' post='2599162']
While on the subject of Paypal it's worth remembering the protection you have as a buyer. I payed for something as a 'gift' (not connected with ebay) and never received the goods. I trusted the person so sent the money as a gift therefore i have no chance of having that payment refunded. Totally my fault but it has taught me a valuable lesson in that i will never pay for goods that way again. Even if it's here on Basschat and the seller insists on a 'gift' payment. In that case it will be a definite 'no sale'. Once bitten as they say.
[/quote]

I have sometimes paid extra, to cover the fee and ensure the seller gets the full amount, and that way be protected.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1415311156' post='2599191']
I have sometimes paid extra, to cover the fee and ensure the seller gets the full amount, and that way be protected.
[/quote]
Yes that's a very good point and worth knowing. I bought a bass from the U.S. and did just that and although it arrive fine it was worth paying the extra for peace of mind.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1415308360' post='2599162']
[/quote]

Good advice.
The PayPal 'Gift' payment was never intended for sales transactions.

If someone insists on 'gift' as the sole method of payment then walk away from the deal - there's a high chance are that you're going to lose both your money [b]and[/b] the item.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1415574290' post='2601710']
I've just had a bass buy fall through because the seller would only take PAINPal gift.
Not cash on collection (even though it's a 200 mile round trip for me) or bank transfer :scratch_one-s_head:
[/quote]

Looks like you dodged a bullet there, then.

I've never used paypal for years. Don't agree with their fees, their terms & I don't trust them, especially in instances where if the buyer claims its a fake, they refund the buyer & the buyer destroys/keeps the item (even if their claim is false). Leaving the seller out of pocket.
I'd rather use WUMT!