Why become a member? ×

Fearful

Kevin Dean

If your on Facebook, search out TrickyAudio [url="https://www.facebook.com/trickyaudio?fref=ts"]https://www.facebook.com/trickyaudio?fref=ts[/url] Guy is the UK registered builder for the Greenboy US Fearless range :-)

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1414782437' post='2593336']
If your on Facebook, search out TrickyAudio [url="https://www.facebook.com/trickyaudio?fref=ts"]https://www.facebook.com/trickyaudio?fref=ts[/url] Guy is one of the two UK registered builder for the Greenboy US Fearless range :-)
[/quote] fixed for you

Dave Green is a top chap! I've enjoyed having a little chat with him every now and then. I love the designs and the ethos behind each of the ranges. ONE DAY I'll get to try some of these cabinets out to see how they fair. Reviews suggest very well it seems. I'd dearly love to hear the 1515/66 model. Ed Friedland has been very pleased with his cabinet:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YUbQyK5Ls[/media]

I'm using a Greenboy Fearless F115 built by Guy at Tricky Audio and would thoroughly recommend him as the UK builder to go to, from my experience.

The cabs can take a lot of watts and are well engineered. I get some positive comments on the sound it produces.

I'm actually thinking about moving on my Dubster and getting an F215 after spending time with this cab. Probably overkill due to the performance of the F115. But what the heck :)

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1414862419' post='2594103']I'm actually thinking about moving on my Dubster and getting an F215 after spending time with this cab. Probably overkill due to the performance of the F115. But what the heck :)
[/quote]

Wouldn't a second F115 make more sense, or are you planning to use F115+F215 at the same time?

I'm still trying to talk myself out of a pair of F112s - I don't really need them as my BFM Omnis are more cab than I'm likely to ever need, and I can't really afford them. Suspect it's only a matter of time before I cave in though! :D

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1414862419' post='2594103']
I'm using a Greenboy Fearless F115 built by Guy at Tricky Audio and would thoroughly recommend him as the UK builder to go to, from my experience.

The cabs can take a lot of watts and are well engineered. I get some positive comments on the sound it produces.

I'm actually thinking about moving on my Dubster and getting an F215 after spending time with this cab. Probably overkill due to the performance of the F115. But what the heck :)
[/quote]

Yours wasn't the one with the red baffle and coating featured recently was it?

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1414865010' post='2594149']

Wouldn't a second F115 make more sense, or are you planning to use F115+F215 at the same time?

I'm still trying to talk myself out of a pair of F112s - I don't really need them as my BFM Omnis are more cab than I'm likely to ever need, and I can't really afford them. Suspect it's only a matter of time before I cave in though! :D
[/quote]

It's something I thought about, but the F215 only has one mid driver and for my tone goals I feel one is all I need, they really are brutal little drivers.

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1414839995' post='2593802']
fEARful and Fearless cabs designed by Dave Green (Greenboy on Talkbass), and pretty much in the Barefaced ballpark of bass reproduction.
[/quote]
As a former Fearful and Fearless owner and a current Barefaced owner, I'd not say these cabs are terribly similar in tone, depending on the model. I have a Super Compact and Super Midget (G3). Perhaps the earlier versions and/or the Big Baby are closer, but I haven't tried those.

[quote name='monsterthompson' timestamp='1415032709' post='2595880']
As a former Fearful and Fearless owner and a current Barefaced owner, I'd not say these cabs are terribly similar in tone, depending on the model. I have a Super Compact and Super Midget (G3). Perhaps the earlier versions and/or the Big Baby are closer, but I haven't tried those.
[/quote] - you're not getting away with that mate!! come on we want more descriptions and explanations of the differences - and why you switched

Guest monsterthompson

Long story. The bottom line is that I had an injury which made cab lugging a nightmare. I had a fEARful 15/6 cab built by a then-authorized builder in composite material. It was light and sounded good, but it had a little buzz to it. It turned into a nightmare getting it fixed, and ultimately resulted in the builder giving me a wooden Fearless 15/6/1, which also sounded quite good, and very similar. Each cab was nice and flat and predictable. Maybe there was a low-mid dip and a high-mid bump, but nothing drastic. Sadly, the same buzz developed because the same woofer was used, which was the root of the issue (I beat this subject up on Talkbass). I grew very annoyed at the build quality and wished I had used a different builder. There is likely a reason why my builder is no longer authorized. In my public quest for a replacement cab, Alex had reached out to me about my goals. I had always been curious about his stuff, which is hard to get in the US. I rolled the dice on a Super Compact. The cab is nicely built and easy to manage. I'd say that the cab has more mid focus than the Fears, and it sounds a little congested/honky at low volumes until it breaks in, but it can easily be adjusted for with some EQ work. I've found bumping the 250hz range balances the sound out. I've also found the Genz mid-scoop button gets me close, though a little more scooped than I want. I think a big chunk of the difference I heard was comparing a woofer only, or woofer/tweeter BF cab to the mid-diver equipped Fears. The G3 cabs are also meant to be driven harder than I've had a chance to run them. I will say they sit nicely in a "mix" playing along with other instruments and/or the stereo. I've found my J bass and a Genz Shuttle 9.0 works well with the Super Midget, and that my P bass through a Mesa Buster into the Super Compact is awesome. I obviously like the sound enough that I ordered a Super Midget. I'd be curious to try the Big Baby cabs.

Guest monsterthompson

... I'd say my Super Compact tends toward a more "vintage" sound. The website says "It does gorgeous smooth clean bright tones, thick tight mid-punchy tones, huge deep bottom-heavy tones, aggressive growly grindy dirty tones and more" and I'd say it tends toward the thick and growly, and it plays well with dirt pedals since it has no tweeter. I run it with a BBBOD and a Blower Bass by Idiot Box. With the fast, glassy attack of the Buster, the setup works quite well. The stack of the Midget and Compact is pretty impressive. The lows are big and clean. They can get soft and doomy with the EQ set right, but they tighten up as well. I'd say they respond quite well to EQ, so even if the "stock sound with your amp dials at noon" doesn't float your boat, you can get it where you want it. To be fair, I had a Monique (small production custom pre in the US) and it didn't have the EQ to get me where I wanted, so it is no longer something I own, despite it being a great bit of gear. My drummer flaked on me again this week, so I must wait a little longer to push the Midget/Compact stack in a full band setting for an honest evaluation.

Guest monsterthompson

The Fears were more of a neutral vibe in the mids. They felt bigger and deeper in the lows, which isn't shocking given the 15" driver, and more importantly the bigger box size. They felt more crisp in the upper mids and highs, given the mid driver and the tweeter. The did feel fairly even, like the woofer/mid/tweeter were well integrated. If build quality hadn't been an issue, I might have kept rolling with that product line. I think the smaller, lighter box on the BF was something I found more valuable, given my injury and my ability to haul the cabs. I tried pounding out an audition with two guitarists and a drummer using only the Fearless and a 1,000w power amp, and it wasn't enough to deal with the metal, though it probably was plenty for a more mellow setting.