Why become a member? ×

SWR Triad, any good?

horrorshowbass

Hmm I'd check the specs. The original Triads were a 15", a 10" and a horn with the crossover points fixed at 100Hz and 5kHz. If its really a 15, a 12 & and an 8 then someones been messing about with what SWR intended.
If its stock and fully working then its more than a bargain and I'd grab it with both hands.

I gigged one for a while and really liked it. Being on wheels really helps.

Might be worth checking the speakers are original as they sometimes get replaced. I think the 10" was prone to blowing so it might actually be good to have a better driver in place.

Edited by molan

Fantastic standalone cab, mine was series 1 and had 15" and 10" plus tweeter. For a non neo cab it's also relatively light. The fuses for the tweeter are automotive supplied so a pop now and then is no big deal. Very honest sound though, if you get your colouring from another part of your signal chain, you'll be fine.

Good cab...but heavy by modern standards. I've heard the 10" can be blown, so look out for noises..and the SWR tweeters can be fried, but often its only the bulb/fuse that has gone. Even if its been abused the voice coil assembly can be replaced fairly cheaply (look up Foster or Fostex tweeters).

The rat fur often looks pretty rough after 20 years (esp if a cover hasn't been used), but brush it with a nylon scrubbing brush and it usually revives pretty well.

A very good stand alone full range cab, as long as you can shift it (and need something that big!).

I owned one from the second series, years ago (chrome grill). Very nice sounding cab, not as loud as a 4x10" but has a more refined sound and a better dispersion.
Pretty heavy (36kg but felt more like 40) and it's like a big cube, so not very easy to lift. At that time I used to move it from my house to the rehearsals place 2/3 times a week (!). I was crazy.
Anyway, even if heavy stuff is much harder to sell nowadays, it's certainly worth £150-200 if in good conditions.