Why become a member? ×

Bassists whose tone floors you

Funky Dunky

Not keen on his skills or style but the tone Adam Clayton gets live is incredible. Aguilar gear he uses just now and the guy from Bombay Bicycle Club uses the big Fender Super Bassman from which he gets some awesome noise. Again not too bothered by the band or skills just the fantastic sounds.
Jared Followill gets some interesting sounds from various gear, walls of Ampeg 8x10s and also Audio Kitchen amps/cabs

Edited by Leslie77s

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1414789078' post='2593426']
Who fills you with tone envy, and what gear do they use? Did you ever spend a fortune trying to emulate it? Did you get close?
[/quote]
i was floored the first time I heard Jimmy Lea of Slade's custom John Birch EB3 bass with active overdrive through 5 x Hiwatt 200s + Hiwatt cabs and custom bins on their 1978 tour.
About 20 years after I had the cash to get John Birch to build me a copy of the bass. 3 years after that I owned Noddy Holder's actual Hiwatt 200 + one of Jimmy Lea's Hiwatt cabs along with a Marshall 2 x 15 for the bottom end. Yes, it sounded the absolute bollox and then some.

BUT

I didn't have Jimmy Lea's hands - or skills........................................BUT

I did make quite a mark up when I sold the Hiwatt stuff :huh:

Edited by Big_Stu

Not sure if there's anything I can name that floors me, but I always liked Paul McCartney's late 60s to late 70s bass tone. I bought my Rickenfaker because through an amp at the shop where I bought it, it had a similar tone to Macca's. Nothing spectacular, bassy, solid, and firm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgmXiTG21yM

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed.

Bruce Foxton, JJ Burnell, Duff McKagan, all 3 have tones that I love. And considering I play Fender Precisions strung with Rotosound rounds I can get fairly near - though a bit difficult for Duffs tone without the Jazz pickup.

That said, I prefer to fit the tone to the style of the band I`m in at the time rather than take one particular sound with me wherever I go. So I`ve never used my approximations of their tones in any bands. I suppose people might listen to my current tone and think a bit Jam/Stranglers like, but I can get much nearer, just choose not to.

This always does it for me
Paramore playing Aint it Fun at Radio 1 big weekend last year. Jeremy has a Gibson Grabber. Lovely gritty raspy tone......

http://youtu.be/AGMMlK0iMyw

Oh and then Eddie Jackson on Queensryches Operation Mindcrime and also Empire. Spector Sansamp loveliness!

Edited by Mudpup

Jack Casady. Here's an extract from 'A Child Is Coming' (Jefferson Starship, 'Blows Against The Empire'...). I've skipped the jaunty intro, this is where the bass solo starts. Very effective use of feedback; enjoy...

[url="http://youtu.be/PyFIBEvNXbM?t=3m18s"]http://youtu.be/PyFIBEvNXbM?t=3m18s[/url]

Emulate..? Not possible, but it's one of the reasons I like hollow or semi-hollow instruments so much. So much tonal variation just by approaching or distancing from the cab. Sometimes it's even good..! ;)

Edited by Dad3353

Last time I saw Anti-Flag their bass player was using some kind of Mesa Boogie head (not sure which) with a Mesa 2x15 and an ESP Vintage 4. It sounded incredible! HUGE lows and top end that cut through too.
There are a lot of different sounds on their records but that live sound was so good!

Haven't tried to copy it. I wouldn't come close with my rig.