Why become a member? ×

KAM Powerbar - DMX controller advice please.

NoRhino

Can I buy an inexpensive DMX controller and use it to replace the footswitch on my KAM Powerbar lights?
The lights are excellent but the footswitch provided only works in a cycle programme which is a bit of a pain.
Will something like the Obey 4 or similar work with KAM? I bought this set to replace my really old and knackered Par cans which I operated from a Ryger controller, this gave me lots of options to light the stage in a variety of scenes. OK it wasn't the Pink Floyd show but it was pretty good for my requirements.

My budget is under £100

Thanks

Looking at the KAM manual it's a normal 512-DMX fixture but uses 16 chanels to control it.

ie it's not 4 seperate 4 channel LED par cans.

http://www.kam.co.uk/media/file/product/manual/Kam%20LED%20Powerbar%20Manual%20v1%2023-03-10_web.pdf

So any controller capable of controlling 16 chanels should control it but it won't be straightforward to program each 'light'.

Edited by TimR

I used one of these to control my DMX lighting. Normal LED PAR cans etc.

It does 16 chanels so would work.

A bit complicated to learn but worth the effort.

Didn't buy from these guys, just to illustrate.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/Lighting_Controllers/Transcension/operator_2

Edited by TimR

I use one of these - [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmxmaster_i.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmxmaster_i.htm[/url]

I am only controlling standard 3 channel RGB lights, but the spec says it can use up to 16 channels per fixture, including scanner motor controls

The only downside is the crappy euro-socket power supply. I keep meaning to find a more robust one for it!

Good luck.

If you need any assistance drop us a PM. It's fairly straightforward if you draw things out on paper first.

You may also need to make a dummy plug to go at the end of line with resistor in it and the earth grounded. If the lights start doing random unexpected things this is usually the solution.

It might also be worthwhile checking out the software + USB controller options that are available (e.g. [url="http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70303"]this USB controller[/url]). They can work out cheaper than standard controllers if you already have a laptop, and could be more versatile. However, I like a stand-alone dedicated box for the simplicity (once I've programmed it!)

Latest,
I went to the shop where I bought the KAM Powerbars and the chappie said he'll speak with a couple of his reps and I've to phone next week.
He seemed a bit nonplussed when I explained that i wanted the units to do more than the pre-programmed pedal allowed.
Will see what transpires and no doubt come back to Basschat for more advice.

Thanks all.

I tended to stick to chases of very few colours. Maybe four at most. With a decent controller you can sequence chases together so if you build one chase with two colours then another with two different colours you end up with a four colour chase. If you see what I mean.

It's all well and good if your band is the type of band that will benefit from colours that complement the stage show. But in most bands the 7 standard colours are ok.

I don't like green and the fact you can have several different shades of blue can make lighting a lot more interesting.

I programmed in a very low pink and pale blue with slow fade which worked well on slow songs.

I also programmed a very low red that I used to light the stage while we were getting ready to start. Made quite a good atmosphere.

But now I play in a rock band and just leave my 4 par cans to do what they want and the rest of the band love it. Maybe I'll buy a new controller...

Edited by TimR

Thanks again TimR.
I used a Ryger controller with two sets of 4 coloured Par56 cans for years but now that LED/DMX is the way of the world I want to recreate what I had. Basically six preset scenes that covered every option I needed for a good pub/club gig.

I'll phone the shop on Wednesday and see if they did actually ask the KAM rep.

Looks like it's straightforward enough - the limitation is that there's only a master dimmer and strobe control for the whole unit, but you can individually control the colour of each light. Of course, you could dim individual lights by dropping the red, green and blue values to zero, but in all likelihood you won't need that level of individual control over each fixture.

Another hardware interface for DMX from a USB output is via a website http://dmxking.com/
There's a wide range of items from a single DMX universe out to artnet to DMX which will give you a huge amount of possibilities.
Their prices are really good too, but there is one snag - they're based in New Zealand so the shipping & import duty can be a bit of a sting in the tail.

Their stuff is fully compatible with a range of software including the Chamsys platform mentioned above.
The gear is surprisingly top quality and customer service is very good too.
I bought a few ArtNet & USB interface items from them earlier this year but I was fortunate enough to have an Australian leg on the tour I'm currently on so I had them shipped to the company that was supplying the rig when we were in Oz a couple of months ago which meant the shipping was pretty much minimal and zero tax.

It may be slightly out of the scope of the OP, but it's another option to be considered especially as the Chamsys software is free for both Mac & PC (it's also easily possible to setup a computer / PC tablet wireless system using simple ArtNet equipment so it can be operated from front of house / anywhere if you want to show off!).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1417194572' post='2618126']
Thanks Mike257 and Bluesparky

I'm waiting on the call from my local shop to tell me we my unit arrives. Looking like Tuesday now.

Then I'll dive into the world of DMX. Looks like fun.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.
[/quote]
No worries
If you've any questions about DMX or the technical side of lighting etc, please feel free to drop me a line.

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1417776065' post='2623863']
I called last week. Will be nearby next Friday so will go in and look at the embarrassment on his face if he hasn't phoned by then.

I'm a trusting kind of man so will assume he's really trying hard to please a customer.
[/quote]
Fingers crossed it all arrives soon.

On a vaguely related topic, yesterday was international lighting day. 5th December = 5/12, DMX is an 8-bit protocol so has 512 channels.
That's one for the REALLY geeky techies out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...