Why become a member? ×

Gut-a-like Swingmaster

Rabbie

Just putting out a bit of love for these new strings. They are synthetic strings with wrapped A and E, smaller diameter, longer sustain, louder, very fun to play.
Made in Germany by Thomas who makes the Duke basses, these are strings for the hep cats as opposed to the rockabilly guys, although the tension is very similar to guts so they can be slapped perfectly well too. No opinion on arco. I had the chance to test a set and ended up ordering another set straight away as I am definitely gonna use them, especially on my folding bass, as their tuning stability is much superior to guts. They retail for €116, which is a great price for the quality. Bottom line is, they are not a set of top quality gut strings with wrapped A and E, BUT it's scary how similar they can sound on the right bass and for regular gigging duties, they are spot on IMO.
Swinging!

I found the volume surprisingly similar to the guts I had taken off to try them. I do dig in though and I think they need that, much like guts really. They are not as loud as say Velvet or Spiros though IMO, but that's to be expected.

Ha ha, funnily enough I've had my guts in my bass for a couple of years but on the folding bass I keep swapping and changing. I don't have a photo of them but you can find one at the website www.slap-strings.de
They are indeed very different from the deluxe in terms of sustain and much smaller diameter. Overall more of an old school pizz string than a slap one.

Ha! Sounds like these would have been the ones for me rather then the Deluxe, doh! I have ended up (I know!) with Velvet Garbo lights and a gut G. Used them at Sorefingers bluegrass weekend last week and they are a fantastic combination of old school sound, low tension and pretty good tuning stability. Am keeping my Velvet Blues as back up

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1414951653' post='2594992']
Clarky I thought of you as soon as they dropped through my letterbox but I was reluctant to suggest as With my last suggestion your bridge went flying...
[/quote]
and I pre-empted the halloween bloodshot eye look by a month or two!