BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO HOME RECORDING

130 replies to this topic

#121 timmo

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

It has been around 2 years ago I thought about recording my stuff that I try to play. I have saved up the money and ordered a pair of Yamaha HS8 monitors, which I hope to receive soon. I have the kit that I need I think, as I have a laptop, a Scarlett 2i2, and obviously a bass. I have been looking at Reaper, as the $60 seems reasonable. Really looking forward to hearing how bad I sound.
Clover Avenger 4 Left Handed

#122 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

View Posttimmo, on 14 March 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

It has been around 2 years ago I thought about recording my stuff that I try to play.... Really looking forward to hearing how bad I sound.

You've got everything you need right there and a lot of fun ahead of you :) (plus some frustration... but rest assured that rapidly subsides once you're over the immediate hurdles).

Use YouTube for tutorials and work your way through things methodically, one step at a time. A good 70% of whatever recording software you use will be irrelevant to begin with, so don't worry about all of the 'bells and whistles' and concentrate on the basics: how to record; how to edit your recordings; how to use MIDI instruments; the basics of EQ and compression.

And ask questions here if you get stuck! Plenty of people in the 'Rec forum use Reaper, so you're in good company.

#123 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,955 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostSkol303, on 15 March 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

... (plus some frustration... but rest assured that rapidly subsides once you're over the immediate hurdles)....

Yes indeed. It's only the first forty years or so that are the worst, after which things tend to get (slightly...) better. :mellow:
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

BassChat Terms & Conditions............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#124 EliasMooseblaster

Complete Arse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

I notice a lot of good things being said about these Focusrite interfaces, and our guitarist has had good results from using them. Looking to upgrade my home setup myself, so just wondering whether anybody's tried getting one to work in Ubuntu/Ardour? I see that there's a lot of material online, including from the Focusrite developers' blog, suggesting that a 2i2 "could/should" work with Linux - can anyone confirm or deny these rumours?

#125 SubsonicSimpleton

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

Try googling "focusrite scarlett unbuntu" - plenty of information available on various linux forums, definately worth having a read as there seems to be a few caveats - notably on some interfaces you can only access certain features by using the proprietary driver as they are not controlled from hardware switches/knobs - this could be a major annoyance depending on how you intend to use the interface, and there are quite a few choices at the same price point.

#126 EliasMooseblaster

Complete Arse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

View PostSubsonicSimpleton, on 13 June 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

Try googling "focusrite scarlett unbuntu" - plenty of information available on various linux forums...

Oh, I did! There was indeed a lot of information, mostly from people saying they'd had positive results (and a few enthusiastically claiming their Ubuntu partition handled it better than Windows 7...) Thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone else had other advice - hadn't come across the issues about proprietary drivers, so thank you for flagging that one!

#127 Mcgiver69

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

You should be fine as there's a lot of developing been done. Do not be surprised if you plug it and just works and don't be surprised too if when plugged it comes as some generic USB name.
Bases:
Aria GT5
ESP Surveyor LTD 5
Ibanez SoundGear 885 "Alfred"
Peavey Grind BXP 5
Amps:
Peavey Tour 450
Carvin BX500
Cabs:
Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10
Warwick WC210

"Me, I'm strictly an equal-opportunities misanthropist - I try to hate everybody equally." (EarBrass)

#128 EliasMooseblaster

Complete Arse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:57 PM

View PostMcgiver69, on 04 July 2017 - 07:24 PM, said:

You should be fine as there's a lot of developing been done. Do not be surprised if you plug it and just works and don't be surprised too if when plugged it comes as some generic USB name.

Perhaps I should report back: I've had one for just over a week now, and been very pleasantly surprised that not only did it work straight away, but the JACK server also recognises it as a Scarlett 2i2!

#129 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

Because the Scarlett series is class compliant (ie it uses the core audio driver), and we test heavily on Mac (which is obviously Unix based as well), there shouldn't be any issues on Linux type systems...although we don't test them directly, just Mac & Windows are 'officially' supported.

Si
Focusrite

BassChat Terms and Conditions

Lakland | Fender | Markbass | Barefaced

Instagram/Twitter: @SimonRPoulton | Blog (Bassist Interviews etc)

#130 EliasMooseblaster

Complete Arse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostSibob, on 05 August 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

Because the Scarlett series is class compliant (ie it uses the core audio driver), and we test heavily on Mac (which is obviously Unix based as well), there shouldn't be any issues on Linux type systems...although we don't test them directly, just Mac & Windows are 'officially' supported.

I'm very pleased to report that I haven't encountered any issues! Worked straight out of the box, and the improvement in sound quality is absolutely wonderful. Only thing I have found is a bit of a clash if there's more than one USB audio device attached to the computer - but that's just down to my very limited competence with JACK!

#131 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

View PostEliasMooseblaster, on 06 August 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

I'm very pleased to report that I haven't encountered any issues! Worked straight out of the box, and the improvement in sound quality is absolutely wonderful. Only thing I have found is a bit of a clash if there's more than one USB audio device attached to the computer - but that's just down to my very limited competence with JACK!

That's good to hear!
The multiple USB audio device issue doesn't surprise me, MacOS is still crap at setting up aggregate devices too!

Si

BassChat Terms and Conditions

Lakland | Fender | Markbass | Barefaced

Instagram/Twitter: @SimonRPoulton | Blog (Bassist Interviews etc)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users